Everything posted by Starks
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Exactly!
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
It's really not that complicated. After starting 0-5 this team was low mentally. And not just any 0-5 they were getting smacked across the field each game. They doubted themselves big time until they got to district play and picked up some wins and gained some confidence in themselves and what they were doing. Do I really have to explain to you how people gain more confidence in themselves when they see results? They bring back a lot of key components to last year's success and look to build off of it. Because of the uncertainty they had last year at this time compared to where they are today it is a whole new team. As was stated, they know the system and are way more comfortable with it today than they were at this time last year. I'll also add that this offseason appeared to be the most successful offseason for any Mercer County team since the Jaggers era. Everyone is buying what Coach B is selling. He is selling being a complete team from top to bottom and working on yourself as an individual player physically and mentally to help your fellow teammates out. He is selling an infectious feeling of success and breeding success that hopefully will remain at Mercer County for years to come.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
It is good to see I am not the only one who sees Mercer County's potential. They should have a good year this season.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Don't be surprised to hear of another kid or two enrolling at Mercer County this summer. I've heard a kid from Virginia or West Virginia is moving to the area that plays football.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
They bring back a ton of experienced players back from last year's team. Adding Gillis at QB allows one of their best athletes in Dustin Baker to play at RB or WR which is probably a more natural position for him than QB. Their defense should be top notch and the entire team has bought in to what Coach B is selling. Mentally they are in a much better place than last September and I think we all know how important that is in all sports. This group believes in themselves more than the past few Mercer County teams and they appear poised to make a good run this season.
-
Anderson County 2016/2017
That was the hot rumor in Mercer County after the season ended. I didn't know they were related. I was thinking they play AAU together and that was their connection.
-
Anderson County 2016/2017
I heard Penny may end up at Mercer County with his buddy Trevon. Is that just a bad rumor?
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Yes. They had no spring practice, no true offseason and their first time on the field with their new coach was in July. The beginning of their schedule was crazy. Not only were they installing a new offense in a month but they were playing high quality opponents. The coaches were still getting used to each other, the players were still getting used to the system and their new coach and none of them knew what to expect once the lights came on. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Wayne County game is when it all started to come together on offense. They only scored 14 points that game but mentally they recognized what they are capable of doing with that offense and they then recognized that the tough opponents were behind them and they got down to executing and putting away weaker opponents the way they should have been. I expect them to give Central Hardin a good game. Different team and different mindset entering this season. It makes a difference.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Yes they will be but unlike last year they will be better prepared going in to this game compared to last season when they faced North Hardin.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
I guess I just took it wrong when you kept saying they weren't put in a position to succeed. I think the offense will be better next season now that they have had a year and a true offseason. This is the best offseason the Titans have ever had. They've been working hard since the season ended. I'll be disappointed if they don't improve from last season.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Maybe struggled mightily is too harsh and yeah the competition eased up later in the season but a blind man could see the were outmatched against North Hardin and Lafayette. Watching the season progress you could see Drew getting more and more comfortable with the offense with each game. Regardless of the competition comfort goes a long ways when running a new offense and I know for a fact he wasn't comfortable until around Wayne County game. Funny you take up for Drew but seemingly want to throw shots at Coach B. If you want to talk about who failed the seniors this year then maybe it should be mentioned that their normal kicker bailed on the team right before the Knox Central game so he could go play in a soccer showcase. As a result they had to throw a kid out there who has never kicked in a game before and have his first ever football action take place in a survive and advance atmosphere. He did the best he could but kicks were missed in that game that the normal kicker would have made and Mercer likely would have won. What Coach B did for that team last year was phenomenal. The fact that he was still able to keep that team motivated after being outscored and flat out demolished their first 5 games was unbelievable. Never put in a position to succeed my butt. It's always the people who watched 3 games who know everything.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Which game was that? I don't think they got comfortable with their offense until some time in October. Drew Davis was learning his 3rd different offense as QB and I know he struggled mightily learning the new system and it wasn't until the schedule eased up that they began to work things out and gain some confidence in what they were doing. They shouldnt have that problem this year depending on who is the QB. If it is Dustin Baker then that will give them a QB who can tuck it and run it but I think their ability to throw the ball won't be like it was with Drew. I do think they will still be better than last season and a top 10 team throughout the season. 4A is not all that loaded.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
3 games isn't enough. I saw 8 games last season. I saw them give the game away to Wayne County and that was before they started playing well. Most of their defense returns, they still have playmakers on offense, most of their offensive line returns, Coach B has the program going like I have never seen it going before and their schedule next year is much easier than this past year's schedule so they'll have a better record than last season. I didn't say they'll win state. I said they'll be a top 10 team this season and they will be. Too bad they don't play Boyle County. They'd beat them if they played them this year.
-
2016 Class 4A Preseason Top 10
Mercer County will be a top 10 this season.
-
Dunbar 58 Mercer County 55 (Sweet 16 1st Round)
The older the better.
-
Dunbar 58 Mercer County 55 (Sweet 16 1st Round)
I knew it had to something that someone from Mercer did. Dude is salty.
-
Dunbar 58 Mercer County 55 (Sweet 16 1st Round)
Someone from Mercer took your girl didn't they? Yeah that's it. Broke your heart once. I can tell someone from Mercer caused you some pain.
-
Dunbar 58 Mercer County 55 (Sweet 16 1st Round)
That sucked. After Friday we won't hear from Bengal1 again. Thank goodness.
-
Mercer County/Dunbar updates
Probably be even better if Mercer could keep up with Dunbar's athleticism.
-
Dunbar/Mercer County predictions (Sweet 16 1st Round)
Ha! #TheKey
-
Dunbar/Mercer County predictions (Sweet 16 1st Round)
No chance? Is this a serious post? Have you even seen Mercer play or did you just look at the Lafayette score? A team that has lost one game all year has no chance against a mighty 11th region team? Hilarious. I remember the mighty 11th region team choking in Rupp last year. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. Will Hager is way better than the Lewis kid and he's way stronger than him too. He'll toss Lewis around all night. Dylan is going to hit at least 3 threes and if he gets going watch out. Trevon and Taveion is a wash. They'll both get theirs. I can't wait to come back in here if Mercer wins to see what you have to say then. Mercer can win this game.
-
5A #5 Anderson County vs. 4A Mercer County Predictions
Mercer will be fine this year. They'll win their district if they stay healthy. It's easy to look at their 0-2 record and dismiss them but these first 4 games are a brutal stretch for a team with a new head coach. I expect Mercer to win their district. By the time they get to district play this team will be a very solid team. They have played two 6A teams to start the season and both teams have over 75 players. Mercer has 32 players. When they get to playing teams that are on their level you'll see the improvement. I don't know what the hell Pardue was thinking when he made this schedule. No wonder he left like a thief in the night.
-
Lafayette 53 Mercer County 13
Landon Young is huge!!!!! Why did #73 not play much yesterday?
-
Lafayette 53 Mercer County 13
Tyus Short has been looking good and that was a nice TD reception by Aaron Johnson as well.
-
Lafayette 53 Mercer County 13
I'm still happy with what I see from Mercer. The game got lopsided in the second half when Lafayette's athletes got going. Mercer kept battling though and that was good to see. Seth Tatum hits the hole hard and I was glad to see him rewarded with a TD. Dustin Baker is looking good when the ball is in his hands. Hard to do much last night against those kind of athletes but as the season goes on Mercer won't be playing athletes like the ones at North Hardin and Lafayette. Drew Davis has had it rough these first two games and if he is the leader we all know he is he'll keep the team positive going forward. Two more tough games ahead but they shouldn't be as rough as these last two. They need to keep listening to Coach B and keep working hard. Stay positive Titans!!!!