Will You Pay To Read the Courier Journal Online?

Clyde

A) Where would you get that information and B) How reliable is it going to be?

And before you say, TV, don't. TV stations give you a basic gloss-over of the information. They are not capable of investigating and exploring issues in depth on TV the way a newspaper does, mainly because of the time constraints involved.

The TV websites generally have about as much to say as the CJ online. I actually tend to go to them the few times I want to read up on local Louisville news online.

I will say, my hometown paper went to a paid online site and I do know several people who pay for it. BUT, it's a very small town and the news can rarely be found elsewhere. I just don't think the same rings true with the CJ.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TV websites generally have about as much to say as the CJ online. I actually tend to go to them the few times I want to read up on local Louisville news online.

I will say, my hometown paper went to a paid online site and I do know several people who pay for it. BUT, it's a very small town and the news can rarely be found elsewhere. I just don't think the same rings true with the CJ.

I'm talking about the larger, in-depth investigative and watchdog pieces. For instance, the big series that came out in the C-J a couple years ago about how LMPD officers couldn't be bothered to show up for court dates, or the big death row investigative piece. Or the racetrack safety series in the C-J a couple years back. Another one that comes to mind, but a little further back, was the series about prescription pill abuse in the mountains that the Herald-Leader did about eight years ago or so.

You're not getting that type of stuff on TV, and smaller papers generally don't have the staffing to be able to delve too deeply into those type of issues that require several weeks or months to compile.

What you mention about your hometown paper is true in that larger media outlets aren't covering the stuff that goes on in the small towns unless it's something sensationalistic (Drugs! Murder!), and it's why smaller papers have weathered the difficulties in the newspaper business a lot better than their larger cousins in the bigger cities. It's also why going behind the wall hasn't hurt those outlets the way it would a metro daily paper — it's news you can't get anywhere else.

We' re assuming there would not be alternatives? Kypost.com? Local papers? TV(even with less depth)? People discussing it on BGP?

I'm not sure I'm getting a lot of quality local news today. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for it just to be online. I don't read much online local news now and it's free.

I do agree with you that Kypost.com does do a decent job covering local news and for now it's free. Perhaps if that continues to be the case, I'll hold off on subscribing to the Enquirer on line. Since I subscribe to the Business Courier, I get access to the online daily updates on Cincinnati and N. Ky business matters.

But if it gets to the point that the only way I can get timely coverage of local business and other news items is to pay, then I'll pay for it and will have no problem doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting study was released recently.

For every $1 gained in digital ad revenue the papers are losing $7 in print ad revenue.

Print ad revenue accounts for 92% of overall ad revenue.

• 2 months later...
Cable TV requires a fee for its product; BGP requires a fee; I charge for my services; why shouldn't newspapers be paid for their product?

I can't really say that I disagree with this sentiment but in this instance I think the newspapers have become a victim of their own ego. Years ago I almost guarantee that there was one big collective B.S. from the publishers of newspapers across the country when someone told them that in the future this new fangled internet would become a primary source of information. The print newspapers would ALWAYS have the stuffy distinction of being the eyes of the people as far as they were concerned. So sure of that position were they that when they started publishing content to the internet they let people look at it for free. Then people found out what a wealth of information was on the net and other sources of information began popping up all over the place and more and more people became less and less dependent on the daily paper. Now that people have gotten so used to getting this content for free they don't see a reason to pay for it. Had the papers started charging for the online content at the outset this wouldn't be an issue IMVHO.

As to Guru's question, I pay for this site because I can do this. My opinions are viewed and I know that when I make suggestions for the site overall they will be listened to. Heck I fairly certain some of them have been enacted. Couple that with the yearly fee being just a bit more then what the CJ is charging per month and I have no problem paying for this but not the CJ, or any other social site for that matter. I'm on Facebook alot. When it becomes a fee bases service, I won't be.