Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who Will Be the Next Illini Coach?

Featured Replies

^The Akron guy? I would think they'd want or at least be able to attract a bigger name than that.....Illinois isn't exactly a stellar basketball program, but it isn't a bottom-feeder either.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^The Akron guy? I would think they'd want or at least be able to attract a bigger name than that.....Illinois isn't exactly a stellar basketball program, but it isn't a bottom-feeder either.

 

Thomas was at Akron before he took the UC job and has made a living hiring MAC coaches the last 5 years. I'm sure they will aim higher, miss and end at Dambrot...

  • Author

There has to be at least a phone call to Indy, right?

  • Author

Shaka is said to be considering the offer from Illinois and a decision is likely this week. Reportedly offered $2.5M per year which doubles his VCU salary.

  • Author

Apparently the hesitation in taking the job for Shaka is the challenge of Illinois recruiting in Chicago.

Names I would go after if I were making the decision:

 

Brad Stevens- Butler

Bill Carmody- Northwestern

John Groce- Ohio (he was at Ohio St. under Thad, I believe)

If they really want to shake things up, contact Gino Auriemma's people. I would like to see that, actually.

Names I would go after if I were making the decision:

 

Brad Stevens- Butler

Bill Carmody- Northwestern

John Groce- Ohio (he was at Ohio St. under Thad, I believe)

 

Stevens would laugh Thomas off the phone. Zero chance.

Carmody is on thin ice at Northwestern. That would really be a fan favorite for the new AD. Yikes.

Groce is a very good coach and Thomas loves hiring MAC guys. My guess is it eventually gets to him and then Dambrodt at Akron...

Stevens would laugh Thomas off the phone. Zero chance.

Carmody is on thin ice at Northwestern. That would really be a fan favorite for the new AD. Yikes.

Groce is a very good coach and Thomas loves hiring MAC guys. My guess is it eventually gets to him and then Dambrodt at Akron...

 

I agree that Brad Stevens would say no, but I would still make the call. Make him tell you know after you throw 2.5 mil at him.

If back to back 20 win season at Northwestern has you in trouble, Carmody should walk. He can get a job- plus he has recruited Chicago at Northwestern. He should be able to do the same at Illinois.

 

What do you think about making a call to Storrs to talk to Gino?

I agree that Brad Stevens would say no, but I would still make the call. Make him tell you know after you throw 2.5 mil at him.

If back to back 20 win season at Northwestern has you in trouble, Carmody should walk. He can get a job- plus he has recruited Chicago at Northwestern. He should be able to do the same at Illinois.

 

What do you think about making a call to Storrs to talk to Gino?

 

I don't think Gino and his ego want anything to do with the men's game.

  • Author

Some are saying Groce from Ohio U is not a strong contender for the gig.

If Groce isn't a strong contender for this one who is?

 

Why would Stephens be so quick to say "no", if asked? Is he going to be a Butler lifer?

 

I'll throw out a few names, totally on a whim. GT, Clyde, and anyone else with a clue, don't beat me to a pulp, but would any of these guys be candidates, or interested:

 

Steve Alford: He's gotta get out of New Mexico at some point?

Drew from Baylor: Same as the above, gotta get out of Waco, right?

Pat Knight: Huge leap, I know. But, he has experience (albiet bad) in a power six conference.

  • Author
If Groce isn't a strong contender for this one who is?

 

Why would Stephens be so quick to say "no", if asked? Is he going to be a Butler lifer?

 

I'll throw out a few names, totally on a whim. GT, Clyde, and anyone else with a clue, don't beat me to a pulp, but would any of these guys be candidates, or interested:

 

Steve Alford: He's gotta get out of New Mexico at some point?

Drew from Baylor: Same as the above, gotta get out of Waco, right?

Pat Knight: Huge leap, I know. But, he has experience (albiet bad) in a power six conference.

 

My guess is that Brad Stevens has about two or three jobs on his list that he will leave BU for.

 

I'll be shocked if Groce is not hired. The only way I see it not happening is if some other school swoops him up.

 

ZERO chance I take Pat Knight for that job.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.