Player Must Sit Out a Play For Losing Helmet

Ram

Football | Players must sit for one play if their helmet comes off, other rule changes approved by NFHS

February 09, 2012|Chicago Tribune reporter

In the case where a player's helmet comes completely off without it being "directly attributable to a foul by the opponent," the player will have to leave the game for at least the next down. The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) approved Rule 3-5-10 at its January 20-22 meeting in Indianapolis. It was one of eight rule changes approved.

"The committee made this rules change after reviewing data from multiple states regarding the frequency of helmets coming off during live-ball play," said Julian Tackett, chair of the Football Rules Committee and commissioner of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association. "It is the committee's hope that this serves notice for schools to properly fit players with helmets to reduce the incidence of these situations and remind the players not to take steps that alter the fit."

Link

If everyone is so up in arms about concussions, then Good. I lost track of how many helmets came off due to non-direct contact this year. Players these days loosen thier chin straps so thier helmets fly off when they get hit, so they look cool.

If everyone is so up in arms about concussions, then Good. I lost track of how many helmets came off due to non-direct contact this year. Players these days loosen thier chin straps so thier helmets fly off when they get hit, so they look cool.

How does a loose helmet tie into concussions?

At a game I was scouting I saw a kid take his helmet off to try to catch a pass, I had never seen that before. He threw it off like he was a Catcher trying to catch a pop fly behind the plate.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who in the world would be dumb enough to do that?

Other rule changes:

1. Legal Reception - players much make catch and touch down in bounds, regardless of contact.

2. Approval of on-field corporate advertising.

3. Limits on below-the-waist blocks.

4. Prohibiting the kicking team from blocking until the ball has broken the plane of the receiving team's line.

Other rule changes:

1. Legal Reception - players much make catch and touch down in bounds, regardless of contact.

2. Approval of on-field corporate advertising.

3. Limits on below-the-waist blocks.

4. Prohibiting the kicking team from blocking until the ball has broken the plane of the receiving team's line.

Explain 4.

Explain 4.

If Team A performs an on side kick, they may not run and block Team B players from recovering the kick before the ball has reached Team B's line.

In other words, the ball must go 10 yards before the kicking team can block the receiving team.

If Team A performs an on side kick, they may not run and block Team B players from recovering the kick before the ball has reached Team B's line.

In other words, the ball must go 10 yards before the kicking team can block the receiving team.

So the major thing that restricts is the dribbler on the ground where 10 guys block everyone in front and the kicker recovers it, correct?

Did they go into the specifics of the limits on below the waist blocks?

So the major thing that restricts is the dribbler on the ground where 10 guys block everyone in front and the kicker recovers it, correct?

Exactly.

they go into the specifics of the limits on below the waist blocks?

Nope. I don't know if it will remain the same but make it a point of focus, or if it changed in some manner.