The best CovCath Basketball players from the 50's 60's and 70's!

At today's Cincinnati Moeller vs. CovCath Frosh and JV games at CovCath, the discussion got around to who was the best players to play Basketball at CovCath and where did they attend college at, from the 1950's, 60's and 70's!

Dick Maile LSU

Randy Noll UK/Marshall

Roger Tieman Louisville

Just to name a few....

Give me some names of who you think are the best 10/12 players from that era!

Joe Voskul indeed played for CovCath and was a starter on the 68 and 69 teams. Joe then went onto Tulsa where, as my brother found out when he moved there years ago, Joe is considered a huge star. Of course his son won a NCAA National Championship ring while playing and starting for UConn a couple of years ago.

Bill Topmiller if my memory serves me correctly went to Vanderbilt and while Bill was one heck of a Basketballball player, I though he went to Vandy on a academic/football scholarship. Then again he was a heck of a Baseball player too.

Dale and Doug Overman: Dale of the class of 67 and Doug of the class of 69 both played Basketball and Baseball for CovCath. I though Dale went to school at what is now the University of Memphis but not sure of where Doug went to school at. Dale was a starter/six man on the State Runner-up 1967 Team and indeed was an outstanding baseball player who I had the pleasure of playing with.

Jim Ripple again if memory servers me correctly was a 71 graduate of CovCath and was a member of the last team in those five glorious years of basketball at CovCath to win a ninth region title.

Ken Angel graduated in 73, played 4 years at University of North Carolina Charlotte.

Lost to Kentucky in the 1976 NIT finals at MSG.

Lost to Marquette on a buzzer beater in the 1977 Final Four in Atlanta.

Thought Jeff played at Latin.

I believe he started at Latin and finished at CCH. Played varsity for both I am pretty sure. Latin School's best teams ever were when he played there. I think they may have won 20 games against a real schedule one season when Stowers played at Latin.

Don't want to thread jack, but it is interesting that two of the top players all time at the local colleges are both Latin School players - Stowers at NKU and Brian O'Conner at Thomas More. And of course Dave Justice is a Latin School grad also.

Add Bob Romes to the discussion. He played at the end of the 70's I believe. Or was it ealry 80's? One of the best athletes to play basketball at CCH.

Also, wasn't there a Berger that went on to play at NKU?

Bob Romes graduated in 1980. He was good in high school and good at TMC. He was REALLY good after that when he played in the Deveroes league.

Bob Romes graduated in 1980. He was good in high school and good at TMC. He was REALLY good after that when he played in the Deveroes league.

I wasn't sure when he graduated. Didn't Romes get a tryout of some sort with the Denver Nuggets? I remember hearing that but not sure if it is just one of those rumors or if it is true?

He was mediocre at best in high school. Sprouted as you say during the Devoroes league. A very very late bloomer.

As far as this post being big players during those years he would not be considered.

Now put up a Devoroe Leage Hall Of Fame and he might be there. :sssh:

Edited by se se
grammar