Anyone else getting behind Newt?

HT721

Whoa now. Perhaps some Republicans don't care for either candidate; but some most certainly do. While Romney may be to the left of me on some issues, it's that very fact that leads me to believe he is the right person to be the President of this county at this time in its history. So I greatly care for Romney. Almost every small to medium size business owner and executive I've spoken to feels the same way that I do. They have a very high confidence level that he has the leadership skills and executive management skills needed at this time for our country. The ones that weren't frankly are far right tea party members and there weren't many of them.

I believe people have to stop the litmus test method of choosing a candidate. As a nation we must, absolutely must, elect a President that can find a way to work with a majority of Congress or else we are doomed to more drawn out and ugly fights. Case in point the budget cutting commission. What a thoroughly wasted opportunity. Romney may not fit my litmus test (Paul may be closer) but Paul has zero chance of enacting what he's proposing. He just doesn't. Neither does Gingrich. So if either one of them got elected, we'd replace a Democratic President that can't get what he needs from the Republican House to move the country forward, with a Republican President that can't get what he needs from a Democratic Senate to move the country forward.

Sure that could change if the House went to the Democrats and President Obama got re-elected, or if a Republican got elected President and the Senate went to the Republicans. But I'm not going to base my Presidential vote on either one happening. Too much is at stake for the country to base my vote on the "what if". It just is. And to be honest, I don't want one party to control the WH and both houses of Congress. Too much power in one party with policy and legislation swings too dramatic in one direction (ie. President Obama's first two years). I prefer a Republican President that needs the cooperation of moderates in both houses to gradually move the country to the right.

Regarding the bolded...then we must, absolutely must elect a Congress willing to work with each other and the President.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the bolded...then we must, absolutely must elect a Congress willing to work with each other and the President.

If you can get that accomplished this Fall, have at it.

PS: I do agree with your point and if and when I get the opportunity to vote against some of those in Congress being pig headed, I will.

There is a sense of desperation on Mr Gingrich's part. He criticized Gov Romney yesterday for cutting off kosher food to elderly Jews on Medicare. (Yes, I know who his audience was). He accused him of suppressing religious freedom, said he is buying the election, linked him with Goldman Sachs, attacked his tax returns, and accused him of being a liar.

I think it's more than just conservative vs moderate.

I believe the answer to why Gingrich made the strange statement in your second post are found in the article linked in your first post.

PS: I do agree with your point and if and when I get the opportunity to vote against some of those in Congress being pig headed, I will.

My point, though, is that regardless of whom we elect, we will likely face the same challenges. And I will definitely be casting some votes to oust some members.

My point, though, is that regardless of whom we elect, we will likely face the same challenges. And I will definitely be casting some votes to oust some members.

Not to thread jack, but I saw some stats on Congress today. Approval rating - 11%. And 56% of voters would like to vote every current member of Congress out of office.

I understand and fully agree with your point; it is the very reason I'd like to see Romney elected.

Agreed, but that is where president Obama has monumentally failed. As much as I didn't care for Clinton, he worked with Congress and got them to work with him.