Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Minnesota Basketball Article

Featured Replies

They are leading at Indiana right now by 11 with 11 to go.

  • Author
They are leading at Indiana right now by 11 with 11 to go.

 

Good for them maybe he can get them in the NIT

Well I hate to keep trashing Orlando Smith, well actually I don't, but things seem to be going a familiar direction up north.

 

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120112/SPORTS04/101120035/DeLand-column-Gophers-need-recycle-coach?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7COutdoors%7Cs

 

Here is what I don't get. Your opening sentence saying you have no problem trashing a guy you don't even know? You act like the man caused you personal harm or something, so you need to go out and get him back? Yes he didn't do as well as Pitino did here, and definitely not as well Calipari. He basically was a poor mans Joe B. Hall. I was not a live during Joe B. Halls time as coach, however from talking to many people who were. There was not many people who really was crazy about him when he was the coach. Didn't like his style of play and usually thought his teams could do better more often. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Rupp was a legend, Hall was a good coach but since he was not Rupp he was not fully accepted like he should have been during his time as coach. Then the drunk followed him who tried to ruin and embarrass the UK program. Then Pitino comes and gets it back on the right track and wins a title and loses in title game of another. Tubby follows him wins a National Championship (yes he won with Pitino's players, but IMO Pitino would have not won it that year. They were not the most talented team in the country, and who knows how those close games play out if Pitino is coach.) Tubby has some good years and bad years to follow, and had some very good teams too who barely missed making final fours. However he was not Pitino and his style was not the same, so he never was fully accepted. Even though who knows if we even have as many National Championships right now if Pitino never left. Its hard to win the tournament even with top teams as we are seeing with coach Cal. Then get another drunk for a coach who tried to ruin the program and definitely embarrassed the program by barely making the tournament his first year, then not even making it his second year. Now we got that star type coach again who knows how to do all parts of the job. Which doing all the stuff that fans expect out of the coach, is going to lead him to not being able to do the job for any longer than 10 years if that. Then its back to having a coach following a guy everyone loved, and back to that guy not being fully accepted ever no matter what he does.

 

It is just stupid for people to still put down a man like he did something horrible to them. He didn't do great while here, but didn't do terrible either. He got us a title that we might have never gotten if Pitino had stayed. Its to hard to predict things like that, but what we do know is that he did get us one. He was not a star coach, however got more criticism than he ever deserved. He was catching crap even during the years when they were #1. People just never accepted him because he wasn't Pitino. He did no harm to you, and its going to be the same thing for whoever takes over after Cal.

Congrats to Tubby and the boys tonight. Nice win for the Gophers.

Here is what I don't get. Your opening sentence saying you have no problem trashing a guy you don't even know? You act like the man caused you personal harm or something, so you need to go out and get him back? Yes he didn't do as well as Pitino did here, and definitely not as well Calipari. He basically was a poor mans Joe B. Hall. I was not a live during Joe B. Halls time as coach, however from talking to many people who were. There was not many people who really was crazy about him when he was the coach. Didn't like his style of play and usually thought his teams could do better more often. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Rupp was a legend, Hall was a good coach but since he was not Rupp he was not fully accepted like he should have been during his time as coach. Then the drunk followed him who tried to ruin and embarrass the UK program. Then Pitino comes and gets it back on the right track and wins a title and loses in title game of another. Tubby follows him wins a National Championship (yes he won with Pitino's players, but IMO Pitino would have not won it that year. They were not the most talented team in the country, and who knows how those close games play out if Pitino is coach.) Tubby has some good years and bad years to follow, and had some very good teams too who barely missed making final fours. However he was not Pitino and his style was not the same, so he never was fully accepted. Even though who knows if we even have as many National Championships right now if Pitino never left. Its hard to win the tournament even with top teams as we are seeing with coach Cal. Then get another drunk for a coach who tried to ruin the program and definitely embarrassed the program by barely making the tournament his first year, then not even making it his second year. Now we got that star type coach again who knows how to do all parts of the job. Which doing all the stuff that fans expect out of the coach, is going to lead him to not being able to do the job for any longer than 10 years if that. Then its back to having a coach following a guy everyone loved, and back to that guy not being fully accepted ever no matter what he does.

 

It is just stupid for people to still put down a man like he did something horrible to them. He didn't do great while here, but didn't do terrible either. He got us a title that we might have never gotten if Pitino had stayed. Its to hard to predict things like that, but what we do know is that he did get us one. He was not a star coach, however got more criticism than he ever deserved. He was catching crap even during the years when they were #1. People just never accepted him because he wasn't Pitino. He did no harm to you, and its going to be the same thing for whoever takes over after Cal.

 

You make good points, but they get lost in the unreadability of your post. Paragraph breaks are your friends.

You make good points, but they get lost in the unreadability of your post. Paragraph breaks are your friends.

 

:lol:

You make good points, but they get lost in the unreadability of your post. Paragraph breaks are your friends.

 

I am usually at work or in the middle of my grad school classes online when I get on for a few minutes. So I just try to get whatever thoughts I have on the topic down as quick as I can haha.

  • Author
Here is what I don't get. Your opening sentence saying you have no problem trashing a guy you don't even know? You act like the man caused you personal harm or something, so you need to go out and get him back? Yes he didn't do as well as Pitino did here, and definitely not as well Calipari. He basically was a poor mans Joe B. Hall. I was not a live during Joe B. Halls time as coach, however from talking to many people who were. There was not many people who really was crazy about him when he was the coach. Didn't like his style of play and usually thought his teams could do better more often. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Rupp was a legend, Hall was a good coach but since he was not Rupp he was not fully accepted like he should have been during his time as coach. Then the drunk followed him who tried to ruin and embarrass the UK program. Then Pitino comes and gets it back on the right track and wins a title and loses in title game of another. Tubby follows him wins a National Championship (yes he won with Pitino's players, but IMO Pitino would have not won it that year. They were not the most talented team in the country, and who knows how those close games play out if Pitino is coach.) Tubby has some good years and bad years to follow, and had some very good teams too who barely missed making final fours. However he was not Pitino and his style was not the same, so he never was fully accepted. Even though who knows if we even have as many National Championships right now if Pitino never left. Its hard to win the tournament even with top teams as we are seeing with coach Cal. Then get another drunk for a coach who tried to ruin the program and definitely embarrassed the program by barely making the tournament his first year, then not even making it his second year. Now we got that star type coach again who knows how to do all parts of the job. Which doing all the stuff that fans expect out of the coach, is going to lead him to not being able to do the job for any longer than 10 years if that. Then its back to having a coach following a guy everyone loved, and back to that guy not being fully accepted ever no matter what he does.

 

It is just stupid for people to still put down a man like he did something horrible to them. He didn't do great while here, but didn't do terrible either. He got us a title that we might have never gotten if Pitino had stayed. Its to hard to predict things like that, but what we do know is that he did get us one. He was not a star coach, however got more criticism than he ever deserved. He was catching crap even during the years when they were #1. People just never accepted him because he wasn't Pitino. He did no harm to you, and its going to be the same thing for whoever takes over after Cal.

 

First of all I do know Tubby. He left town owing me money that I won fair and square in a poker game and quite honestly I'm upset about it. Secondly, the point is that he is repeating the same pattern at Minnesota as at UK. 5 years in and the wheels are coming off.

First of all I do know Tubby. He left town owing me money that I won fair and square in a poker game and quite honestly I'm upset about it. Secondly, the point is that he is repeating the same pattern at Minnesota as at UK. 5 years in and the wheels are coming off.

 

Which you are wrong about. 5 years into the job he was making UK the #1 overall seed in the tournament in 2003 and maybe a chance to win it all if Bogans doesn't get hurt. That and well Marquette having Wade and noone missing shots. 2004 once again took a team to being the #1 overall seed in the tournament, but did get upset no excuse there. 2005 one Patrick Sparks free throw away from being in the final four. So his first year he wins a title, then the next year elite eight. Then they go down a little by UK standards at least, but then after the 5th year he got them going right back up as I said. His biggest screw up though was the 2003 class and thinking he could turn the likes of Perry, Thomas, Obrzut, and Alleyne into great players like he did Hayes, Daniels, Fitch, etc. He didn't have to go for guys like that while he was at UK, but since he had success with the other guys. He got to overconfident that he could do it again by getting 4 year guys. That is when things went way down hill and why his last two years were bad years. I do think he would have gotten them back up more, and definitely not as low as Billy G ended up taking them though. So besides his last two years, he didn't do a bad job as UK coach. He did a good job, but I admit now not a great job since he didn't use being at UK to recruit better. This article is right though if he doesn't get it turned around quickly this year, he probably does need to be gone. He should have left for Oregon, or one of those places that wanted him two years ago.

 

As for him owing you money in a poker game, if that is true. Then at least I could understand that more for you not liking him, I would want my money too if I won it haha.

Which you are wrong about. 5 years into the job he was making UK the #1 overall seed in the tournament in 2003 and maybe a chance to win it all if Bogans doesn't get hurt. That and well Marquette having Wade and noone missing shots. 2004 once again took a team to being the #1 overall seed in the tournament, but did get upset no excuse there. 2005 one Patrick Sparks free throw away from being in the final four. So his first year he wins a title, then the next year elite eight. Then they go down a little by UK standards at least, but then after the 5th year he got them going right back up as I said. His biggest screw up though was the 2003 class and thinking he could turn the likes of Perry, Thomas, Obrzut, and Alleyne into great players like he did Hayes, Daniels, Fitch, etc. He didn't have to go for guys like that while he was at UK, but since he had success with the other guys. He got to overconfident that he could do it again by getting 4 year guys. That is when things went way down hill and why his last two years were bad years. I do think he would have gotten them back up more, and definitely not as low as Billy G ended up taking them though. So besides his last two years, he didn't do a bad job as UK coach. He did a good job, but I admit now not a great job since he didn't use being at UK to recruit better. This article is right though if he doesn't get it turned around quickly this year, he probably does need to be gone. He should have left for Oregon, or one of those places that wanted him two years ago.

 

As for him owing you money in a poker game, if that is true. Then at least I could understand that more for you not liking him, I would want my money too if I won it haha.

 

I'm not even calling you out here... This is just an honest question after reading many of the Tubby/Bengals threads over the years... Don't you ever get tired of arguing? :lol: Just for even a second?

  • Author
Which you are wrong about. 5 years into the job he was making UK the #1 overall seed in the tournament in 2003 and maybe a chance to win it all if Bogans doesn't get hurt. That and well Marquette having Wade and noone missing shots. 2004 once again took a team to being the #1 overall seed in the tournament, but did get upset no excuse there. 2005 one Patrick Sparks free throw away from being in the final four. So his first year he wins a title, then the next year elite eight. Then they go down a little by UK standards at least, but then after the 5th year he got them going right back up as I said. His biggest screw up though was the 2003 class and thinking he could turn the likes of Perry, Thomas, Obrzut, and Alleyne into great players like he did Hayes, Daniels, Fitch, etc. He didn't have to go for guys like that while he was at UK, but since he had success with the other guys. He got to overconfident that he could do it again by getting 4 year guys. That is when things went way down hill and why his last two years were bad years. I do think he would have gotten them back up more, and definitely not as low as Billy G ended up taking them though. So besides his last two years, he didn't do a bad job as UK coach. He did a good job, but I admit now not a great job since he didn't use being at UK to recruit better. This article is right though if he doesn't get it turned around quickly this year, he probably does need to be gone. He should have left for Oregon, or one of those places that wanted him two years ago.

 

As for him owing you money in a poker game, if that is true. Then at least I could understand that more for you not liking him, I would want my money too if I won it haha.

 

Of course I'm kidding about the poker game. Whether it was 5 years or 7 years the fact is the program slide dramatically at the end of Orlando's watch and Minnesota's program is doing likewise. The way I see it is UK had a strong enough base that it took Orlando longer to burn it to the ground. Minnesota hasn't been as fortunate.

 

Either way I didn't realize how poorly the Gophers had performed over the past year. I guess in reality I don't care but one thing is certain, Tubby Sucks!

First of all I do know Tubby. He left town owing me money that I won fair and square in a poker game and quite honestly I'm upset about it. Secondly, the point is that he is repeating the same pattern at Minnesota as at UK. 5 years in and the wheels are coming off.

 

Does anyone really care in Minnesota? Tubby is meant for that type of job, he is Nick Nolte in Blue Chips before they got the good recruits on campus.

Of course I'm kidding about the poker game. Whether it was 5 years or 7 years the fact is the program slide dramatically at the end of Orlando's watch and Minnesota's program is doing likewise. The way I see it is UK had a strong enough base that it took Orlando longer to burn it to the ground. Minnesota hasn't been as fortunate.

 

Either way I didn't realize how poorly the Gophers had performed over the past year. I guess in reality I don't care but one thing is certain, Tubby Sucks!

 

Which once again your last statement is wrong. He does not suck, he had a good enough career going for UK to hire him. He then takes over a team who was not the most talented team in the country that year compared to others, and won a title with them. You say UK had a strong enough base to keep doing well, well that would have ended after 4 years. But after four years he had the program going up again, and had a great 3 year stretch. He does not suck as a coach, however as with some coaches sometimes the game does start passing them by after awhile.

I'm not even calling you out here... This is just an honest question after reading many of the Tubby/Bengals threads over the years... Don't you ever get tired of arguing? :lol: Just for even a second?

 

I don't mind arguing when I end up being right about them lol. I argued with people last year during UK's season when people were getting all upset about all the road losses saying how that team couldn't make a run. I talked about how that team played well on neutral sites, played good defense, and was a good shooting team, which all are key ingredients to have to make a run in the tournament. I got a lot of crap for it, but ended up being right about it. The Bengals I got crap all off season long for suggesting the Bengals could do well, and what happened they did well. I will argue things that base their opinion on nothing. I base my opinion on evaluating how a team looks, what they do. Not just well they suck at this, so they have no chance. Or their owner sucks, so that means they have no shot to do better this year. I been wrong on plenty of stuff too, and when I am wrong I admit it. So to answer your question I actually do get tired of arguing, especially when people are not backing much to go with their opinion. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.