December 22, 201114 yr You have basically proven my point. We are very reactionary. Our world accepts "step on their throat" but not "zip em up" which has the exact same meaning. Why? I think most of the people replying here are saying there is no difference between those two phrases.
December 22, 201114 yr So in your mind the "zip em up" would not have been reacted to in the same way if a player said it after a boring 20 point win? I think were it following a un-notable 20 point win, it might have raised an eyebrow with the likes of Paul Daugherty, who critiques everything that everyone says, for better or worse. But the simple fact that, in reality, it followed a major brawl made the statement all the worse, and then if you add to that the fact that it was being broadcast on a national level and that that broadcast included images of bloodied players and so on, then that makes the reception of that statement waaaaay worse.
December 22, 201114 yr You have basically proven my point. We are very reactionary. Our world accepts "step on their throat" but not "zip em up" which has the exact same meaning. Why? It's because of the gangster comments and attitude that the "zip em up" came with it Clyde. When you've heard "step on their throat" there really hasn't been any other negative comments along with it like in this case. I don't think people had an overreaction to "zip em up". They had a warranted reaction to everything that he said alongside it, and the fight. You can't remove what you want to make a point. Edited December 22, 201114 yr by MJAlltheWay24 mispelling
December 22, 201114 yr A big deal wasn't made of it when they said it to Vandy, Butler or Purdue so there is your answer. The bigger problem is what Tu said to Cronin and Guyn to incite the brawl...
December 22, 201114 yr It's because of the gangster comments and attitude that the "zip em up" came with it Clyde. When you've heard "step on their throat" there really hasn't been any other negative comments along with it like in this case. I don't think people had an overreaction to "zip em up". They hand a warranted reaction to everything that he said alongside it, and the fight. You can't remove what you want to make a point. Exactly. If I get mad while I'm trying to get something figured out with my laptop and say, "I could throw this thing out the window", there aren't many people who would expect me to do that. If I say "I could throw this thing out the window" around somebody who saw me get angry with my cell phone and they watched me throw it across the room in anger, then that person might think differently about my comment about the laptop.
December 22, 201114 yr Author A big deal wasn't made of it when they said it to Vandy, Butler or Purdue so there is your answer. The bigger problem is what Tu said to Cronin and Guyn to incite the brawl... A. I wasn't aware it was said following any of those games. Was it reported? B. Cronon/Guyn are for another thread as it's irrelevant to the discussion.
December 22, 201114 yr A. I wasn't aware it was said following any of those games. Was it reported? B. Cronon/Guyn are for another thread as it's irrelevant to the discussion. It was by Tu when he said it was their "motto for the season". It was said every game up until Oral Roberts...
December 22, 201114 yr Author It's because of the gangster comments and attitude that the "zip em up" came with it Clyde. When you've heard "step on their throat" there really hasn't been any other negative comments along with it like in this case. I don't think people had an overreaction to "zip em up". They hand a warranted reaction to everything that he said alongside it, and the fight. You can't remove what you want to make a point. I'm not removing anything. My contention is that comments made that are not in our everyday vernacular made us uncomfortable even though we use similar comments. I fully realize we cannot prove our beliefs one way or the other as to how we MIGHT have reacted had another analogy been made. If there had not been a fight and a player said to a reporter in front of many other reporters "we put 'em in a body bag" or "we zipped 'em up" then there would have been the same reaction. It's too easy to link it to the fight when IMO it says more about people and what they're comfortable with hearing.
December 22, 201114 yr Author It was by Tu when he said it was their "motto for the season". It was said every game up until Oral Roberts... Did it make the papers? That was the first I heard of it.
December 22, 201114 yr Well I guess GT has just ended the discussion lol. So people didn't overreact to it and its just like all the other sayings, but becasue of the context, they did react this time.
December 22, 201114 yr I'm not removing anything. My contention is that comments made that are not in our everyday vernacular made us uncomfortable even though we use similar comments. I fully realize we cannot prove our beliefs one way or the other as to how we MIGHT have reacted had another analogy been made. If there had not been a fight and a player said to a reporter in front of many other reporters "we put 'em in a body bag" or "we zipped 'em up" then there would have been the same reaction. It's too easy to link it to the fight when IMO it says more about people and what they're comfortable with hearing. I think GT has kind of shown that to be wrong though. And yes I do take his word for it.
December 22, 201114 yr Author Well I guess GT has just ended the discussion lol. So people didn't overreact to it and its just like all the other sayings, but becasue of the context, they did react this time. Did you react to it at all when you saw it in the paper?
December 22, 201114 yr Did you react to it at all when you saw it in the paper? No, can't say I even knew about it. I can't say I reacted to "zip em up" this time either...because no one can seperate it out from everything else he said. You're fighting a losing battle on this one Clyde. Especially since no one talked about it when he said it after games before. Just proves that the only reason people did is because of the context of what he said, not the actual words. And I'm done on this one, just repeating myself.
December 22, 201114 yr Did it make the papers? That was the first I heard of it. Not sure if it made the papers. I would direct quote it from the post game transcript, but X removed all of that off thier official site...
December 22, 201114 yr Author No, can't say I even knew about it. I can't say I reacted to "zip em up" this time either...because no one can seperate it out from everything else he said. . Again, you proved my point. How can you say no one reacted to it when you have never heard him say it? I just googled "zip em up" + "enquirer" to see how many times it was referenced in their paper. The only results were in regards to the brawl. I'm not saying he didn't say it. GT would know better than me but I am saying no one was aware of it that reacted to it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.