December 8, 201114 yr They did nothing to a team that is getting older and older.For various reasons they weren't going after any of the marquee fielders. Everything I read said the Yankees were only lukewarm at best on Wilson. Don't think Buerhle showed any interest to them. Sometimes doing nothing is better than making a silly move. I didn't see any good moves for them to make, but they definietly need to look into acquiring a SP somehow. Unfortunately the trade market for SP's is very rough for buyers right now.
December 8, 201114 yr It hasn't stopped them before. Hasn't really worked for them before either. AJ Burnett ring a bell, or how about Carl Pavano.
December 8, 201114 yr Hasn't really worked for them before either. AJ Burnett ring a bell, or how about Carl Pavano. I agree but I don't think they can afford to stand pat with their current team. They need to do something. Them doing nothing as of now would = loser status of winter meetings.
December 8, 201114 yr Author Why does it matter how a team did over a 7-day period? It makes for something to discuss is all...
December 8, 201114 yr It makes for something to discuss is all... Cool. I just find it hard to label a team a loser because it didn't consummate a trade in a one-week period.
December 8, 201114 yr Author ^No different than having NFL draft grades and winners and losers...Like I said it's something to discuss. The winter meetings are normally where the big offseason moves happen.
December 11, 201114 yr I think the cardinals are winners in the long run. They will not be paying 22 million to an aging star.
December 11, 201114 yr Teams have all winter to make moves. The Cubs were never serious about Pujols. They may have some interest in Fielder, but I still think he will end up in Baltimore or Seattle. St. Louis isn't as big a loser as one might think. They actually have some payroll flexibility and can get to work on filling their needs. Signing Furcal was just the first move.
December 11, 201114 yr I think the Cardinals are still the NL Central favorite. They get Wainwright back (which is the equivalent to a free agent signing) and re-signed Furcal. They now have money to throw at 2013 free agents Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Dan Haren, James Shields, Bobby Jenks, Joaquim Soria, Matt Kemp, Curtis Granderson, or Brian McCann. The 2013 free agent pool is much, much better than 2012 and the Cardinals have positioned themselves well to be a major player. So have the Cubs and Reds BTW
December 11, 201114 yr I think the Cardinals are still the NL Central favorite. They get Wainwright back (which is the equivalent to a free agent signing) and re-signed Furcal. They now have money to throw at 2013 free agents Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Dan Haren, James Shields, Bobby Jenks, Joaquim Soria, Matt Kemp, Curtis Granderson, or Brian McCann. The 2013 free agent pool is much, much better than 2012 and the Cardinals have positioned themselves well to be a major player. So have the Cubs and Reds BTW Matt Kemp just signed an extension with LAD. Not sure why they'd be interested in McCann. Basically all those names you mentioned are pitching. Pitching has never been a problem with STL. They'll need offense.
December 11, 201114 yr I think the Cardinals are still the NL Central favorite. They get Wainwright back (which is the equivalent to a free agent signing) and re-signed Furcal. They now have money to throw at 2013 free agents Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Dan Haren, James Shields, Bobby Jenks, Joaquim Soria, Matt Kemp, Curtis Granderson, or Brian McCann. The 2013 free agent pool is much, much better than 2012 and the Cardinals have positioned themselves well to be a major player. So have the Cubs and Reds BTW It'll be interesting to see if any of those guys make it to FA. And out of curiosity, Bobby Jenks?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.