Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Owen County 45 Walton Verona 42

Featured Replies

Give some credit to Owen Co. Two days ago WV was on a mission and the team to beat in the 8th. Now they're just physically and emotionally drained from their

brutal schedule? The better team won IMO.

 

No one has taken anything away from Owen as far as I can see. They have a very nice team and congrats to them on a big win. It is a long season and whole lot can happen between now and tournament time.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win for Owen. I think the situation in the 8th will be the same as last year. Few points will determine the wins between the top teams, Walton, Anderson, South and Owen.

 

I agree SL and I think we may need to throw Collins into the team mix too.

 

IMO three point shooting could end up being THE big factor this year. Teams live and die by the three - sounds like from an earlier post (Sandlin needs to touch the ball) that may have been what happened possibly with WV against Owen the other night? Seems that many teams shoot an open three too early in the offensive posession - yes it is open, but perhaps a higher percentage shot could be found with a little more patience- especially when you have gone a few posessions and really need a basket. The other factor is making free throw's- have seen too many games lost because that as well. Going to be yet another competitive year in the 8th region.

My previous post was not intended to disparage the Owen victory. Just responding to madman that WV didn't look ready to play. Owen could win if both had a week's rest, but the schedule gave a distinct advantage to the Rebels.

On a side note, keep an eye on Gallatin County this season. Not saying they are a contender in the 8th, but they could pull a few surprises.

I'm just glad there is finally some discussion here! I was beginning to think everyone was gone.

 

One thing for sure, the 8th is more open this year than it has been in a long time. It has somewhat been a 2 or 3 horse race the last several years. I don't think that will be the case come time for March play.

One stat I haven't heard mentioned that I thought was interesting is Gayheart's double double. As a point guard she grabs 10 rebounds against a team with some quality bigs. I haven't seen all the stats at this point but I would think she had to be close to leading rebounder in the game. That stat made a big difference in the game.

I look at WV having 3 tough games leading up to this as being an advantage over Owen. Owen had only played Williamstown (which they defeated 72-18). Seems to me it would make WV much more prepared than Owen going into this game. I really looked for Owen to struggle in this game due to this. If WV had come out on top this game, I think the discussion would be 'how more prepared WV was than Owen because of their schedule' and not "Oh they were tired".

I look at WV having 3 tough games leading up to this as being an advantage over

Owen. Owen had only played

Williamstown (which they defeated

72-18). Seems to me it would make

WV much more prepared than Owen

going into this game. I really looked

for Owen to struggle in this game

due to this. If WV had come out on

top this game, I think the discussion

would be 'how more prepared WV

was than Owen because of their

schedule' and not "Oh they were

tired".

 

I don't recall any post saying WV was tired. And why playing Williamstown the previous game cause a good team like Owen to struggle? I suppose they will play lights out their next game because they played WV.

They'll play great because they have a heckuva team, not because of their competition the previous game.

I'm sorry let me rephrase that...some of their better players are transfers not saying they are their only good players(they have others) but take away those 3 and you are looking at a totally different team. I am refering to post #13 btw

Looks to me like Taulbee is the only "transfer" I see and kids are allowed to make decisions to move under KHSAA rules (don't know anything about Taulbee and her move).

 

I thought that kids transferred to Walton for academic reasons? I am sure the families would have sent their daughters there regardless of KHSAA rules.

I thought that kids transferred to Walton for academic reasons? I am sure the families would have sent their daughters there regardless of KHSAA rules.

 

:laugh:

  • Author
I thought that kids transferred to Walton for academic reasons? I am sure the families would have sent their daughters there regardless of KHSAA rules.

 

It's not like Walton has a history of being a powerhouse in basketball. They are not the girls version of Oak Hills Academy. I'm sure that academics played a role in these kids coming to Walton.

  • Author
I don't recall any post saying WV was tired. And why playing Williamstown the previous game cause a good team like Owen to struggle? I suppose they will play lights out their next game because they played WV.

They'll play great because they have a heckuva team, not because of their competition the previous game.

 

Your post (#2) said that "their tank may have been close to empty" because of their schedule. Isn't that the same thing as saying WV was tired? I'm sure they were tired but again it's not uncommon to play 3 games in 4 days. Owen won because they were prepared, executed better and out played Walton. This loss is not the end of Walton's season and I'm sure they will rebound from it. Don't be surprised if we see these two teams in the All A Finals.

Great win for Owen. Looking forward to the next Owen-WV match up. There's probably a few weeks before the next WV-Owen matchup, so that should give WV enough time to come up with some more excuses for their loss to Owen.

The officiating was horrible to.

  • Author
Great win for Owen. Looking forward to the next Owen-WV match up. There's probably a few weeks before the next WV-Owen matchup, so that should give WV enough time to come up with some more excuses for their loss to Owen.

 

Just for the record, I'm not making any excuses. They got outplayed and that's the bottom line!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.