Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scrimmage games

Featured Replies

Anyone have the results of these games?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as any of these scrimmages, I would pay little to no attention to wins, losses or scores, especially in margins 10 points or less. It is still pretty much practice, experimenting and giving time to deeper players on the bench to see how they do. A scrimmage game result isn't the best evidence of team being a regional favorite or not.

Regarding the South-Boone scrimmage, when I asked my Daughter why South did not play with much intensity in the 5th quarter, she said "The scrimmage was over, Boone just wanted to play another quarter. the fifth quarter didn't count" But I do think it is hard to look at scrimmages and know who would win in a real game. South played a very physical game and if individual fouls were counted it might have been a different game. That being said, I really liked South's defense. Dye had a great game, very strong in the post. After 4 quarters, Dye had 18pts and Whitfield 16pts. But Whitfield had more turnovers than usual but I think this is normal for her coming off summer AAU playing the 2/3 she always has to adjust back to playing the 1 position. I also liked the sophomore Sedoris for South, I think she will give South a very good inside presence. For Boone, Moss was great. She is just unbelievably athletic, I also liked #13 and #34. They will be a very good team.

Regarding the South-Boone scrimmage, when I asked my Daughter why South did not play with much intensity in the 5th quarter, she said "The scrimmage was over, Boone just wanted to play another quarter. the fifth quarter didn't count" But I do think it is hard to look at scrimmages and know who would win in a real game. South played a very physical game and if individual fouls were counted it might have been a different game. That being said, I really liked South's defense. Dye had a great game, very strong in the post. After 4 quarters, Dye had 18pts and Whitfield 16pts. But Whitfield had more turnovers than usual but I think this is normal for her coming off summer AAU playing the 2/3 she always has to adjust back to playing the 1 position. I also liked the sophomore Sedoris for South, I think she will give South a very good inside presence. For Boone, Moss was great. She is just unbelievably athletic, I also liked #13 and #34. They will be a very good team.

 

Well stated. South's defense was very good. Early on Boone struggled against their press even with the regulars on the floor. I suspect had that been a regular season game Boone would have been forced to use Moss to help break the press. They didn't in this case and I think Boone turned it over six times in the first three minutes. They eventually handled the press a bit better but South didn't employee it as much after the first quarter. No doubt the press will be good for South this season with the experience and quickness they have to use it.

 

No. 34 for Boone is the transfer from Virginia (originally from NKY). She is still learning the Boone system and players and will get better as the season goes on.

 

I have wondered where you were from, just knew you were from the 8th region and that you knew a lot about the Kentucky Premier AAU program. Wish I had known for sure and we could have met and talked today. I did talk with Jasmine after the scrimmage and congratulated her on her scrimmage performance and her signing with UC. Nice young lady and very pleasant. Good luck to the Lady Dragons!

 

Looks like these two teams could meet for real if both win their opening round games at the Gateway Classic between Christmas and New Year's. Maybe we can meet and talk then!

South Oldham did outscore Boone by 10 over the first four quarters of the five the varsities played and they are a very solid, senior dominated team that is going to be a tough out for anybody. They definitely outscrapped Boone for the first two quarters as Boone didn't seem to come ready to play.

 

But, as is the case with most early scrimmages, there is more there than the the score. Boone coach Nell Fookes took the scrimmage as an opportunity to get some of her new players a real baptism under fire. She played with lineups a lot and, for some extended periods of time, had lineups on the floor with no more than one starter out there, sometimes with two freshman guards. The result was a Boone team that turned the ball over more than 30 times and didn't do much offensively most of the time. As an example of Coach Fookes' approach, her go-to-player, Sydney Moss, played less than a quarter and a half of the first two and had only 3 shots in those two. Obviously that isn't how Boone is going to play when games count.

 

But South Oldham played it's starters much more than Boone and I don't think both Whitfield and Dye were off the floor at the same time, and both were out there most of the time. Whitfield is an outstanding player but it was Dye who did the most scoring damage for South Oldham in this scrimmage. She did pretty much what she wanted most of the time, taking it to the basket, facing up and scoring, and posting up for close-in baskets. But South Oldham's overall experience level with having seven or eight seniors was a big factor as well, particularly when Boone had several new players on the floor at once.

 

To take nothing away from South Oldham because, as I said, they are very, very good, but the extra quarter had Coach Fookes keeping her most experienced players on the floor (as did South Oldham) up until the last 1 to 1-1/2 minutes and Boone won that quarter 17-6, actually leading 15-2 with about 2 minutes left. Boone's intensity was considerably higher in this quarter with the continuity of line up being a factor.

 

As I started with, there is usually more than scores to preseason scrimmages. That said, I don't think either South Oldham's 10 point differential over four separately scored quarters or Boone's 11 point margin in the extra period tells it all about either of these teams as far as how their seasons will go. I think I would have to favor South Oldham as the 8th Region favorite based on what I have seen. Boone will obviously go through some ups and downs if Fookes chooses to play her freshmen a good bit, and I'm betting she will, but when the Lady Rebels stick to their main players with experience they are very tough. But the experience gained by the younger players may prove very valuable later in the season.

 

WVFrank- Boone is a quality team and Moss is the real deal! I did not mean to take anything away from them. My comment was directed at Retro who stated that Anderson was the "favorite" to win the 8th because they had beaten Ryle.

Regarding the South-Boone scrimmage, when I asked my Daughter why South did not play with much intensity in the 5th quarter, she said "The scrimmage was over, Boone just wanted to play another quarter. the fifth quarter didn't count" But I do think it is hard to look at scrimmages and know who would win in a real game. South played a very physical game and if individual fouls were counted it might have been a different game. That being said, I really liked South's defense. Dye had a great game, very strong in the post. After 4 quarters, Dye had 18pts and Whitfield 16pts. But Whitfield had more turnovers than usual but I think this is normal for her coming off summer AAU playing the 2/3 she always has to adjust back to playing the 1 position. I also liked the sophomore Sedoris for South, I think she will give South a very good inside presence. For Boone, Moss was great. She is just unbelievably athletic, I also liked #13 and #34. They will be a very good team.

 

Although it was the 5th quarter played and they performed very well in the first 4 quarters, I find it troublesome that they thought it didn't count! Why would you not play your very best and use the opportunity to work on things? IMO South Oldham needs to have that killer instict all the time- not just when they pick and choose. If you want to go to Diddle in March everything you do when you step on court should be your very best whether it is practice, a scrimmage, or a game.

WVFrank- Boone is a quality team and Moss is the real deal! I did not mean to take anything away from them. My comment was directed at Retro who stated that Anderson was the "favorite" to win the 8th because they had beaten Ryle.

 

Hey, I understand..........no offense taken at all. I just wanted to put a little perspective on things. Scrimmages can be very misleading if just the score is used. Guess that's why they start each quarter at zero, to try to take away the idea of it being a real game. But it's human nature to add the scores up........I know I did!

 

As to the eighth region, I'm probably not really qualified to state a favorite because I've really not seen everybody play, but if I was asked to pick I'd go with South Oldham because of Whitfield and Dye and their overall experience. But, as is the ultimate case in every region, it will be decided among the teams on the floor. Good luck to all!

What were the results of the Scott Co. event? Weren't there a few others being played around the state, too?

What were the results of the Scott Co. event? Weren't there a few others being played around the state, too?

 

From other sources:

 

Shelby over Sayre by 1

 

Tates Creek beat Collins...no final but Tates Creek was up big at one point.

 

Pendelton Co beat Berea, supposedly in a fairly close one

 

Anderson vs. Ryle posted above.

 

Madison Central over Owen Co, no score. Feldhaus and Brooks did most of the scoring- Feldhaus 23 Brooks 14

Although it was the 5th quarter played and they performed very well in the first 4 quarters, I find it troublesome that they thought it didn't count! Why would you not play your very best and use the opportunity to work on things? IMO South Oldham needs to have that killer instict all the time- not just when they pick and choose. If you want to go to Diddle in March everything you do when you step on court should be your very best whether it is practice, a scrimmage, or a game.

 

 

I agree totally. This is exactly what I told my daughter. Told her I was very disappointed, she is suppose to be a leader and lead by example, always playing hard. I have many coversations about being mentally tough, playing hard whether you are playing the "best" team in the state or the "worst" team in the state. But as you probably know, getting a 17 year old to really listen to a parent doesn't always happen. Might be nice if a coach made them run a little extra in practice to reiterate this point.(lol)

 

WVFrank, of course I know who you are. Was actually going to talk to you during the JV game but somehow missed you leaving. We think your granddaughter is great. She has such great hands, and amazing jumping ability.My daughter rarely talks to me about other high school players but she often calls Sydney "a beast" and "amazing"(highest of compliments from a bball player). Boone will have a great season, the transfer from Virginia is going to help a lot.

Anderson/Ryle- Anderson a little shaky early got on track in second quarter. Anderson's Makenzie Cann scored 27 points along with 5 assists and 5 boards including 5-6 from three. Both teams of course played alot of people/combinations but i thought both teams were impressive.

Watched Frankfort and Breckinridge on Saturday. Shauntae Brown is back from her torn ACL and was very impressive.

I agree totally. This is exactly what I told my daughter. Told her I was very disappointed, she is suppose to be a leader and lead by example, always playing hard. I have many coversations about being mentally tough, playing hard whether you are playing the "best" team in the state or the "worst" team in the state. But as you probably know, getting a 17 year old to really listen to a parent doesn't always happen. Might be nice if a coach made them run a little extra in practice to reiterate this point.(lol)

 

Very good point and after I sent my post, I thought the same thing. Hard to get them to understand that they need to be "ON" all the time, not just when they want to. At the next level, they will learn that lesson the hard way- but hopefully they will be fast learners :) As to mental toughness, that discipline will take you far in sports and in life!!

Bracken County began its preseason slate today with a 72-45 win over Madison Southern (played @ Berea). Sara Sticklen, pre-season player of the year in the 10th, leads the way with 26 points. Lady Bears will play Cooper @ Rupp Arena this Friday.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.