Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question on defensive lineman

Featured Replies

I notice a defensive lineman on pass rush leading with his head. Several times it was very noticable that he made helmet to helmet contact. Is this legal?

Your coming out of a stance what else would you lead with, gonna look pretty silly if your head is not firing out and forward and you come off??? Yes its legal. What does an O lineman do when he is run blocking?

  • Author

So in this case intentional helmet to helmet is ok? I have never seen an o line initiate helmet to helmet contact prior to putting hands on for a block. Have you?

If he is leading with his head he will be leaning on the OL, and a good OL should be able to recognize this and step back and push down the DL and he should fall straight to the ground.

This reminds me of a few years ago when an official told me they were going to flag running backs that that lead with their heads while running the ball. I said, well, I guess you're going to have to flag every running play, because I've never seen a running back run between the tackles with his head not the leading part of the body.

 

The simple fact is, the body works a certain way, the head leads when you are running or taking off. The whole "Helmet to helmet" thing is just out of control. There are about 100 "Helmet to helmet" contacts in a game.

  • Author

I agree on the 100 a game. I was not asking, and maybe it wasnt clear, about your everyday contact. It appeared that the lineman was spearheading into the o linemans helmet.

I agree on the 100 a game. I was not asking, and maybe it wasnt clear, about your everyday contact. It appeared that the lineman was spearheading into the o linemans helmet.

 

Now, that is different. If a player is intentionally trying to hit a player in the head with his helmet, then by all means that should be a penalty.

 

I thought, and I think others were as well, you were asking if a player merely making contact "Helmet to helmet" was a penalty.

  • Author
Now, that is different. If a player is intentionally trying to hit a player in the head with his helmet, then by all means that should be a penalty.

 

I thought, and I think others were as well, you were asking if a player merely making contact "Helmet to helmet" was a penalty.

Thats what I thought . It seemed very obvious the whole game but never seemed that it was noticed by refs. I guess they are looking at other things.

Or maybe you're not familiar with line play!

This helmet to helmet is not and never was intended to be about line play. Its about tackling safely.

The only time I have ever seen helmet to helmet called is on the quarterback, and when a db hits a wr. I have never, ever seen it on a OL or DL.

If a player is pass rushing and not using their hands a good offensive linemen will give a good punch to their chest and the defensive linemen will not win. Defensive linemen must have active and aggressive hands, if the offensive player punches a defensive players chest then the defensive linemen cannot win. Also a simple cut block could eliminate the player from running with his head down, because if his head is down he is not using his hands.

the head leads & the body follows, there is going to be some contact.

However, if he is being taught this way, it is a shame.

the offensive lineman that he is playing against should be having a great game...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.