Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland 22 Johnson Central 6

Featured Replies

Congrats as well to the BGP Tomcats - Greybeard, Painter and LRCW ! :thumb:

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Obviously playing three quarters without one of the best kickers in the state was huge"

 

Am I missing something here? When did he say they would have won with him there? When did he say something bad about Ashland? When did he say anything disrespectful to anyone? Please explain to me how saying this was disrespectful?

 

I was of the impression that kickers are involved in every kickoff, every field goal, every punt. I don't mind people bashing Matney for some of the classless things he has done, but someone please provide me the quote that has everyone calling him classless this time, because if the one I've listed here is what you all are nagging about then you really have lost some respect from me.

 

Saying that you missed a great player during a key game is not disrespectful to anyone.

 

What did you want him to say? I read the entire article and didn't see him say anything bad about ashland. He said JC's "youth showed" and the great play to keep JJ out of the endzone on the kickoff was "huge". I just don't understand why him tryng to compliment his kicker brought on this kind of hatred and anger.

 

I've heard of sore losers before but sore winners is really hard to understand. You won the game. Your own players said the game plan was to have not one two people key on JJ every play and it worked! GREAT JOB. You earned it, but by golly you better not say your kicker is an important part of your team or we'll call you a classless loser.

 

Some times people amaze me!:confused:

I agree, it is a shame that solid program like JCHS has a classless/ ego trip coach. Matney, from what all I have ever read is all about himself, not his players. As I said, ,it's just a shame bc his kids are very good football players. jmo
:thumb:

After thinking about it more I think you guys might me right. Let me fix it for you. I'll call Matney and tell him next time someone asks you about your kicker missing three qaurters of the game just say "oh, heck he's just a kicker, he ain't really no football player. He really makes no difference to this team."

 

How's that? Would that make you happy?

"Obviously playing three quarters without one of the best kickers in the state was huge"

 

Am I missing something here? When did he say they would have won with him there? When did he say something bad about Ashland? When did he say anything disrespectful to anyone? Please explain to me how saying this was disrespectful?

 

I was of the impression that kickers are involved in every kickoff, every field goal, every punt. I don't mind people bashing Matney for some of the classless things he has done, but someone please provide me the quote that has everyone calling him classless this time, because if the one I've listed here is what you all are nagging about then you really have lost some respect from me.

 

Saying that you missed a great player during a key game is not disrespectful to anyone.

I don't think most people see it the way you and your fellow JC fans are looking at it. He wasn't disrespecting Ashland, but he was laying the blame squarely on the shoulders of his kicker. As the article explained, the kicker chose to play in a soccer game and therefore missed much of the game. For the coach to say the kicker being absent was a "huge" factor, simply smacks of excuse making when you lose by more than two touchdowns. I think that's why most people feel bad for Trent Davis. Whether or not his intentions were good, a remark like that makes the kid look like a traitor to his team and the sole reason for their loss.

I dont think Matney is blaming the kicker, but he sure could have qualified that statement better by adding something like "but that didn't cost us the game. Our inability to stop Ashland did."

After thinking about it more I think you guys might me right. Let me fix it for you. I'll call Matney and tell him next time someone asks you about your kicker missing three qaurters of the game just say "oh, heck he's just a kicker, he ain't really no football player. He really makes no difference to this team."

 

How's that? Would that make you happy?

 

So what's your opinion on the JC's soccer coach allowing your kicker to score 8 goals in 15-1 and 9-1 victories? Just wondering?

So what's your opinion on the JC's soccer coach allowing your kicker to score 8 goals in 15-1 and 9-1 victories? Just wondering?

 

I've never watched them play and have no opinion on it. I don't know the soccer coach or this player and have never seem them so I would think that forming an opinion on their level of sportmanship would be a huge mistake. That would be like saying that Dale Mueller was a classless no-good coach because his team scored 70 points in the first half of a game. That would be a fair assumption if you knew nothing other then the scores of some of the Highlands games. Chew on that one for a minute.

I dont think Matney is blaming the kicker, but he sure could have qualified that statement better by adding something like "but that didn't cost us the game. Our inability to stop Ashland did."
:thumb:
After thinking about it more I think you guys might me right. Let me fix it for you. I'll call Matney and tell him next time someone asks you about your kicker missing three qaurters of the game just say "oh, heck he's just a kicker, he ain't really no football player. He really makes no difference to this team."

 

How's that? Would that make you happy?

 

 

The kicker missing the 1st 3 quarters had no effect on the outcome of the game. To say otherwise is just plain foolish, and just makes Matney look like a sore loser looking for excuses. Ashland whipped Johnson Central. If you were at the game, you saw it too, and I'm sure at no time did you say to those around. "Man, I sure wish we had our kicker. "

I've never watched them play and have no opinion on it. I don't know the soccer coach or this player and have never seem them so I would think that forming an opinion on their level of sportmanship would be a huge mistake. That would be like saying that Dale Mueller was a classless no-good coach because his team scored 70 points in the first half of a game. That would be a fair assumption if you knew nothing other then the scores of some of the Highlands games. Chew on that one for a minute.

 

Chew Chew!!! Yep not even close! Can't wait for Playoff Week 2!

I've never watched them play and have no opinion on it. I don't know the soccer coach or this player and have never seem them so I would think that forming an opinion on their level of sportmanship would be a huge mistake. That would be like saying that Dale Mueller was a classless no-good coach because his team scored 70 points in the first half of a game. That would be a fair assumption if you knew nothing other then the scores of some of the Highlands games. Chew on that one for a minute.

 

To see how many players have been allowed to score 8 goals or more in a game of soccer, Link

 

Scoring 8 goals once in a game is indeed rare and very rare at that but twice and in blowout victories, it's totally bush!

 

BTW in all the years of soccer in the KHSAA (going back to 1980), it has only been done by five players and the last was in 2008, with most being in the 80's/90's. So to have one player do it twice in one year and in complete blowouts to boot, wouldn't you think someone was only looking out to put this JC kid in the record book and not at all worried about sportsmanship.

 

Understand I would have no problem if the team had scored 15 or 9 goals in those games, if the most one player ahd scored was maybe 3/4 goals but 8! Sorry no class at all by the coach!

 

BTW it isn't like HHS had one player put up all those points on the scoreboard.....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.