Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ivan McGlone Field

Featured Replies

I just read in the Daily Independent that Russell's AD Sam Sparks announced at the Red Devil's victory party last night that Russell will name their field after their great coach Ivan McGlone. Coach McGlone has been on the sidelines for 252 of Russell's 500 total victories, and has won two State Championships. It's great to see Coach McGlone rewarded, and honored for all the great things he has done at Russell. He is definitely deserving of the honor. You won't find a better coach, or person in the entire state of Kentucky. Congratulations Coach. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I just read in the Daily Independent that Russell's AD Sam Sparks announced at the Red Devil's victory party last night that Russell will name their field after their great coach Ivan McGlone. Coach McGlone has been on the sidelines for 252 of Russell's 500 total victories, and has won two State Championships. It's great to see Coach McGlone rewarded, and honored for all the great things he has done at Russell. He is definitely deserving of the honor. You won't find a better coach, or person in the entire state of Kentucky. Congratulations Coach. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:ylsuper: Wtg Coach McGlone Congrats we are proud of what you have done for this community!!!!!!!!

NO BRAINER! That is great for a great coach that deserves it! I'm excited for the good people in Flatwoods.

I just read in the Daily Independent that Russell's AD Sam Sparks announced at the Red Devil's victory party last night that Russell will name their field after their great coach Ivan McGlone.

 

That is true. I was there to witness all of the festivities. Great thing to do for a great man. :thumb:

Congrats to a deserving man.

This is a good thing to do for a GREAT Coach and person!! :thumb:

I just read in the Daily Independent that Russell's AD Sam Sparks announced at the Red Devil's victory party last night that Russell will name their field after their great coach Ivan McGlone. Coach McGlone has been on the sidelines for 252 of Russell's 500 total victories, and has won two State Championships. It's great to see Coach McGlone rewarded, and honored for all the great things he has done at Russell. He is definitely deserving of the honor. You won't find a better coach, or person in the entire state of Kentucky. Congratulations Coach. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

 

:thumb: :thumb:

Maybe while we are at it, we can get the KHSAA to update his coaching record for victories. I believe they have recently shorted him a season's worth of wins somewhere along the line.

  • Author
Maybe while we are at it, we can get the KHSAA to update his coaching record for victories. I believe they have recently shorted him a season's worth of wins somewhere along the line.

 

 

That's something that Sam Sparks could probably take care of with a fax. :thumb: :thumb:

:eek: Do you honestly believe that or are you just trying to stir debate?? Maybe it's just youthful exuberance talking?? Don't get me wrong, anything is possible but it's not realistic...In a game where both teams' admitted strength is defense I just can't see that happening either way...Ashland scored 2 touchdowns against essentially the same defense a year ago...I would agree that Ashland's offense has surely improved but not 4 touchdowns against that defense... :rolleyes:

 

Ashland may truly be the favorite but a slight one at best...Anyone that actually believes otherwise is making predictions with their heart and not their head...We won't settle this debate on Friday no matter who wins...I know it's cliche but I honestly believe if these 2 teams played 10 times this year it would probably end up 5-5...If Russell wins, & I hope they do, I won't come out of the stadium thinking Russell is obviously the better team...I'll just think they were better on that night...Again, the outcome will surprise me only if it's a blowout one way or the other...

 

This game has been a great rivalry between the 2 best football programs in NE Ky over the last 30 years...If I am not mistaken, this will be the 29th meeting between these 2 teams since Coach McGlone took over the program...As he enters his 30th season as the Red Devils' coach, he owns a 15-13 record against the Tomcats...Besides Ironton, Russell is the only team that plays Ashland regularly that can make that claim...That is great indication of what Coach McGlone has done since taking over the reigns 30 years ago...Russell was 4-17 against the Tomcats prior to his arrival if the all-time record in The Independent's football preview was correct...All true Red Devil fans are greatly appreciative of what you've meant to the program...We are in no hurry for you to go but realistically we know you be retiring within the next few years...When the inevitable happens, :cry: I hope the powers in the Russell Schools see fit to honor you by naming the field at Henry R. Evans Stadium "Ivan McGlone Field" :thumb:

 

Now, go out and make it 16-13!!!! :fire: :fire:

 

:fire: 58

 

I found this post I made on August 31 prior to the Ashland game ...I certainly am not taking credit for the idea but was extremely proud when I heard that Sam Sparks made the announcement that he would like to see it done prior to next season when the team was welcomed back Saturday night after winning the State Championship...

 

For me, the most exciting part is we may not have to wait until he retires...At this point I fully expect him to return next year...I have had many people say to me that it would be the perfect time to leave if he won the championship...He could "go out on top"...I TOTALLY disagree!! He may be enjoying coaching more now than he ever did...I have had the EXTREME priviledge of seeing this man in action up close a few times in the last couple of years...He does not look or act like a man who is anywhere near hanging up the proverbial whistle...As long as he & his wife are still in good health, I fully expect him to be back for at least one more year...We are often told that people on injured lists in sports are "day to day"...At this point in Coach's career, I would simply list him as "year to year"...Let's face it, as much as some of us would like to see him coach forever, the reality is he is going to retire at some point in the not too distant future...

 

Let's all hope he stays as long as he wants to...He has definitely earned the right to coach on a field that is officially named after him...It's all just a formality anyway...That's been his field for a long time!!!!

 

:fire: 58

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.