Cal's Letter to Recruits

Clyde

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Cal...I just think BBN loves him because he is their coach. If he left today and Coach K. walked in the door then they would love Coach K. UK fans are blindly loyal...Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby, BGP and now Cal. They really have to screw up before the tide turns.

Don't let the facts of Cal's record get in the way. I merely pointed out his record. Not nearly as good as Stevens in his first few years, although others acted like it was. Terrible in the NBA. Not a single playoff win. Two final fours which were vacated. Now RE I know you defend him to the death, but is their another coach in the history of the NCAA that has taken two different teams to the final four and had both positions vacated??? Coincidence-perhaps, but it hasn't happened to anybody else.

I will defend Cal until he gives me a reason not to. I like him because he brought UK back to UK standards. He is getting the players that I expect the coach at UK to get. As far as the vacated Final Fours at Memphis and UMASS, people like to hang their hat and blame Cal, when in fact he was NOT named in any wrong doing at either school. His players love him and he puts them first. I was not big fans of either of his predecessors at UK, because imo they let the program slp to subpar standards.

I don't hate Cal...I just think BBN loves him because he is their coach. If he left today and Coach K. walked in the door then they would love Coach K. UK fans are blindly loyal...Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby, BGP and now Cal. They really have to screw up before the tide turns.
BGP is pretty powerful, but not sure enough to control all of BBN. :lol:

Fans defending their coach, what a foreign concept. An anomaly found only in Kentucky.

Crazy talk....WVU, Butler and Duke all had better years, with less talent, because the only thing that matters is the tournament. (Unless you are excusing away a loss.) To your way of thinking then in 2011 OSU had a better year than Kentucky, and I would disagree. The Cats beat OSU when it mattered and advanced further. But in 2010 WVU beat UK-so the Mountaineers had the better finish.

Finish is a big part to the season, but winning 35 ball games and getting to the Elite 8 is nothing to hang your head over. If UK were an overwhelming favorite to win it all I might agree, but even as a one seed plenty of people picked them to fall short of the title, including some on ESPN even calling WVU to beat them. One bad game in the Elite 8 against a team that many felt was the 5th #1 seed in the tourney is not going to ruin a season for me. Once again I don't see how any educated basketball fan could say that 2010 was not a success for UK, unless you're just being a hater. No wonder UK fans act like we have to win every year, we do to please the public opinion.

If Coach K has the same team and got the same results out of them people would be throwing him a party. No one acted like UNC was a major disappointment this year and they had an older team, but maybe almost as many eventual first rounders. If I had to guess I'd say people who act like UK was a bust in 2010 were probably the same folk before the season saying "you can't win with a team of one-and-done players".

Cal and UK cannot win in this state with the minority of non-UK fans. I get so sick of listening to UK haters in this state. It's cool that you have your own team to root for and everything, but in this state the majority of us like UK. That's how it is always going to be. Its a relatively big and extremely passionate fanbase, and the haters just need to get over it. Go live in Alabama and root for LSU, or move to Pitsburgh and wear New England Patriots stuff everywhere. We have one of the premier sports teams in the country, not just in college basketball but in all sports right here. Excuse us for being passionate and taking up for our coach.

UK fans are excited because we have a coach who brings in elite talent year after year, plays an exciting brand of basketball, and has the Wildcats in the thick of the title hunt.

I've never desired anything more than that. I believe he'll eventually win a title if he keeps recruiting the way he has, but you never know.