Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do you remember?

Featured Replies

While eating lunch today at Zips I saw this picture and commented about the memories of this wonderful place, the two guys with me who are a bit younger than I didn't even recognize this popular summer spot. How popular was it outside of the NKY/Cincinnati area? Can you name any of the rides or attractions?

 

IMAG0132.jpg

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhhh, Coney Island! Wish they had never closed it down. Kings Island never had the same feel! Gee, where to start...The Lost River, The Tumblebug, The Shooting Star, The Wild Mouse!

 

I recently found an old book at my in-laws house on Coney. Loved going down memory lane.

Is this Fantasy Farm or Americana? My family went to both when I was younger...they were much cheaper to attend for a family of 7 than a trek to Kings Island. The Mighty Mouse is a coaster I remember riding at Fantasy Farm. It had individual cars that would get stuck at the top...then you would have to rock it to get it over the edge to finish the ride. Good times...:lol:

Isn't the picture of the Old Coney Island? I am looking for the Ohio River, but I don't see it.

 

If it is Coney Island, The Mouse made me cry the first time I rode it.

 

That was a long time ago.

  • Author
Isn't the picture of the Old Coney Island? I am looking for the Ohio River, but I don't see it.

 

If it is Coney Island, The Mouse made me cry the first time I rode it.

 

That was a long time ago.

 

 

River is to the left. Sunlite pool is to the right.

Isn't the picture of the Old Coney Island? I am looking for the Ohio River, but I don't see it.

 

If it is Coney Island, The Mouse made me cry the first time I rode it.

 

That was a long time ago.

 

 

The river is on the left past the trees. Can't see it in this photo.

 

I remember I couldn't wait until I was tall enough to drive a car on the turnpike. That was a big milestone way back when. I also loved riding the train, seeing the howling wolf when we entered the woods, and the "real life", shoot outs in the woods.

Like a lot of people in those days, I grew up in a big family. I remember my parents bringing in coolers with fried chicken, snacks and drinks. You could leave all of your stuff at the picinic table, and come and go eating and drinking whenever you wanted. No on ever bothered your stuff.

  • Author

Coney Island Cincinnati opened in 1886 and was called "The Coney Island of the West", but dropped most of the name the following season to simply become "Coney Island". The Wildcat and Shooting Star below were two PTC wooden roller coasters that closed when the park shut its doors in 1970.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island,_Cincinnati,_Ohio

Absolutely loved Coney. From the ride on the ferry from KY to riding all the rides, it was always a good time. At that time in my life, it was just the right size too. I have never really like Kings Island and the older I get and bigger it gets just makes it worse!

  • Author

Coney_Island_Historical_Photos_Norton_2004_022_Large_Web_view[1].jpg

 

Coney_Island_Historical_Photos_Norton_2004_019_Large_Web_view[1].jpg

 

Coney_Island_Historical_Photos_Norton_2004_012_Large_Web_view[1].jpg

 

I looked forward to the trip to Coney all year!

I remember being about 7 years old. I was trying to go down the slide but did not have enough weight to generate any speed. My father was next to me and as he went by me, grabbed the corner of my sack and slung me forward. When I hit the second bump, I went airborne. I lost my sack in the air and when I came down, I hit the track and stopped abruptly. One of the worst cases of road rash I ever had. On the bright side, I got a free ice cream from the staff. As someone stated previously, great memories.

What year did this place close?

Absolutely loved Coney. From the ride on the ferry from KY to riding all the rides, it was always a good time. At that time in my life, it was just the right size too. I have never really like Kings Island and the older I get and bigger it gets just makes it worse!
Because of that ferry ride, I always thought Coney Island was "literally" an island. My fondest childhood memories linger in that place. It was just so awesome! And I agree, King;s Island just never had the same mystique about it.

 

Does anyone remember anything about the spook house? We have movies of the outside, and I have faint scraps of memory about the inside; but I'd love to hear if anyone remembers more about it.

What year did this place close?
According to the Wikipedia article, the park closed its amusements on September 6, 1971. I remember being there for the fireworks celebrations they put on in the park's final week of operation. I know it wasn't the very last night, but it may have been the night before.
  • Author

 

Amazing what you can find on the internet, enjoy!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.