Favorite Metallica Songs

Hangman

"Master of Puppets" and "One" are probably my top two. They really didn't make too many bad songs. ...And Justice For All would have rivaled Master of Puppets if they hadn't gutted the bass out of it. I'm one of the few people who actually liked their 90s releases. Load was an excellent album, I think. "Bleeding Me" is another of my favorite songs. It's hard to sleep on Death Magnetic either.

Well, this is probably heresy to Metallica fans but I think they sometimes go too long on songs. For example, I love the first 4 minutes of Orion. That is probably one of my favorite Metallica pieces. The rest of the song though is just ok. It is almost like two different songs that they decided to connect as if it is one.

Second piece of heresy is I think Master of Puppets is pretty far down the list of their top songs. List all the songs mentioned in this thread, and for me Master of Puppets would be in the bottom half, maybe even bottom quarter of the songs listed. There is something about the vocals in that song that I just don't care for. I can't even tell you what it is but I just don't connect with the vocals. I know everyone loves that song but it isn't one of Metallica's best for me.

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned The Call of Ktulu. That is one of my favorites and they even won a Grammy for that one but I don't think anyone else has listed it yet.

Well, this is probably heresy to Metallica fans but I think they sometimes go too long on songs. For example, I love the first 4 minutes of Orion. That is probably one of my favorite Metallica pieces. The rest of the song though is just ok. It is almost like two different songs that they decided to connect as if it is one.

Second piece of heresy is I think Master of Puppets is pretty far down the list of their top songs. List all the songs mentioned in this thread, and for me Master of Puppets would be in the bottom half, maybe even bottom quarter of the songs listed. There is something about the vocals in that song that I just don't care for. I can't even tell you what it is but I just don't connect with the vocals. I know everyone loves that song but it isn't one of Metallica's best for me.

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned The Call of Ktulu. That is one of my favorites and they even won a Grammy for that one but I don't think anyone else has listed it yet.

I used to feel the same as you on "Master of Puppets", but it grew on me over the years. "Welcome Home" is probably actually the only song off of that album that I liked on the initial listen, honestly. All of the others had to grow on me.

If I were ranking the albums, I'd go:

9. St. Anger

8. Reload

7. Load

6. Kill Em All

5. Death Magnetic

4. Metallica (Black Album)

3. ...And Justice For All

2. Master of Puppets

1. Ride the Lightning

I anticipate a lot would disagree.

I used to feel the same as you on "Master of Puppets", but it grew on me over the years. "Welcome Home" is probably actually the only song off of that album that I liked on the initial listen, honestly. All of the others had to grow on me.

If I were ranking the albums, I'd go:

9. St. Anger

8. Reload

7. Load

6. Kill Em All

5. Death Magnetic

4. Metallica (Black Album)

3. ...And Justice For All

2. Master of Puppets

1. Ride the Lightning

I anticipate a lot would disagree.

Looks close enough to me.:thumb:

"Master of Puppets" and "One" are probably my top two. They really didn't make too many bad songs. ...And Justice For All would have rivaled Master of Puppets if they hadn't gutted the bass out of it. I'm one of the few people who actually liked their 90s releases. Load was an excellent album, I think. "Bleeding Me" is another of my favorite songs. It's hard to sleep on Death Magnetic either.

I like every album they've ever made.

Master of Puppets is a great album, but Ride the Lightning has always been my favorite.

Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All followed a similar format.

1. A hard, fast song with a musical intro

2. Title Track

3. A heavier, slower paced song

4. A Metallica ballad with a heavy ending

The last half of the album always containted an instrumental near the end, with the usual Metallica songs. If you like one of those three, I don't see how you couldn't like them all, and any of them could be your favorite. Just a matter of preference. I always thought they put it all together perfectly on the Puppets album.

Here are my lists...

Albums

Master Of Puppets

Load

Metallica

...And Justice For All

Ride The Lightning

St. Anger

Reload

Death Magnetic

Kill 'Em All

Songs (from the 80's in no particular order other than #1)

Master of Puppets

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fade to Black

Creeping Death

Battery

The Thing that Should Not Be

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Blackened

...And Justice for All

One

Songs (from the Black Album through the present, no order)

Of Wolf and Man

The God that Failed

My Friend of Misery

Ronnie

Bleeding Me

Hero of the Day

St. Anger

The Unforgiven III

Judas Kiss

Suicide & Redemption

I couldn't narrow it down to 10 songs, so I had to split it at the Black Album.

I like all of the albums other than St. Anger, really. The ping of the snare drum just drove me insane. I enjoyed the title track, though. I had a friend that could drum it amazingly, and seeing him do it gave me a new appreciation for Lars' ability.

I like all of the albums other than St. Anger, really. The ping of the snare drum just drove me insane. I enjoyed the title track, though. I had a friend that could drum it amazingly, and seeing him do it gave me a new appreciation for Lars' ability.

That was one of the things I liked about St. Anger. I loved the way it sounded.