March 7, 201115 yr Link Local teams: Southwest: 7 Cincinnati 10 Washington Winner gets #2 North Carolina Southeast: 4 Kentucky 13 Charleston Winner likely plays 5 West Virginia (Talk about revenge if this happens West 4 Louisville 13 Harvard Winner gets 5 Arizona/12 Michigan St/Virginia Tech play in East 5 Xavier 12 Belmont Winner likely plays 4 St. John's. Thoughts?
March 7, 201115 yr Author My thoughts: Cincinnati is better than a 7 seed, IMO. I'd have them as a solid pick for a 6 seed. Kentucky moves up to a 4 seed with a win over an 18-13 Tennessee team...why?? Xavier has played absolutely nobody and got blown out by Cincy but they're a 5 seed...why?? Their best win is an 8 point win over a Georgia team that is likely not in the tournament. Ohio St, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke are solid choices for #1 seeds and I really like UNC as a 2 seed with Texas and Notre Dame. After those, it's a crapshoot, IMO.
March 7, 201115 yr My thoughts: Cincinnati is better than a 7 seed, IMO. I'd have them as a solid pick for a 6 seed. Kentucky moves up to a 4 seed with a win over a 19-12 Tennessee team...why?? Xavier has played absolutely nobody and got blown out by Cincy but they're a 5 seed...why?? Their best win is an 8 point win over a Georgia team that is likely not in the tournament. Ohio St, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke are solid choices for #1 seeds and I really like UNC as a 2 seed with Texas and Notre Dame. After those, it's a crapshoot, IMO. I agree on UC and X. UC is much better than X and is definitely better than a 7 seed. I wouldn't want them to be the 7 seed in my teams bracket. I think X would be on the 5/12 upset alert with Belmont. Belmont is a tough little team. I think UK moves to a 4 because of finishing out the season kind of hot, and with the favorable draw in the SEC tourney they are likely to make it to the finals. Just my opinion though.
March 7, 201115 yr Author I agree on UC and X. UC is much better than X and is definitely better than a 7 seed. I wouldn't want them to be the 7 seed in my teams bracket. I think X would be on the 5/12 upset alert with Belmont. Belmont is a tough little team. I think UK moves to a 4 because of finishing out the season kind of hot, and with the favorable draw in the SEC tourney they are likely to make it to the finals. Just my opinion though. Agreed on all points. I can agree with UK as a 4/5 seed but nothing higher. Xavier as a 5 seed is somewhat of a joke, IMO.
March 7, 201115 yr Author Here are the projected match ups for each team, assuming no upsets occur: Cincinnati: Second Round v #2 UNC Sweet 16 v #3 San Diego St/#6 Vanderbilt Elite 8 v #1 Kansas Kentucky: Second Round v #5 West Va Sweet 16 v #1 Pitt Elite 8 v #2 Texas Louisville: Second Round v #5 Arizona Sweet 16 v # Duke Elite 8 v #2 BYU/#3 Syracuse Xavier: Second Round v #4 St. John's Sweet 16 v #1 Ohio St Elite 8 v #2 Notre Dame
March 7, 201115 yr My thoughts: Cincinnati is better than a 7 seed, IMO. I'd have them as a solid pick for a 6 seed. Kentucky moves up to a 4 seed with a win over an 18-13 Tennessee team...why?? Xavier has played absolutely nobody and got blown out by Cincy but they're a 5 seed...why?? Their best win is an 8 point win over a Georgia team that is likely not in the tournament. Ohio St, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke are solid choices for #1 seeds and I really like UNC as a 2 seed with Texas and Notre Dame. After those, it's a crapshoot, IMO. I could've swore that UK beat Vandy earlier in the week, and aren't the Vol's considered a tourney team? Do you think the Cat's should've moved down?
March 7, 201115 yr My thoughts: Cincinnati is better than a 7 seed, IMO. I'd have them as a solid pick for a 6 seed. Kentucky moves up to a 4 seed with a win over an 18-13 Tennessee team...why?? Xavier has played absolutely nobody and got blown out by Cincy but they're a 5 seed...why?? Their best win is an 8 point win over a Georgia team that is likely not in the tournament. Ohio St, Kansas, Pitt, and Duke are solid choices for #1 seeds and I really like UNC as a 2 seed with Texas and Notre Dame. After those, it's a crapshoot, IMO. I have no arguments but I believe there may be quite a bit of work to do with two of the bolded. For example, if UNC and Notre Dame win their tourneys I believe they replace Pitt and Duke. UK has work to do to lock up a 4 or 5 but with the right upsets could possibly shoot to a 3 if they win out. As it sits before the tourneys are played, I agree with all of your post.
March 7, 201115 yr Kentucky moves up to a 4 seed with a win over an 18-13 Tennessee team...why?? Xavier has played absolutely nobody and got blown out by Cincy but they're a 5 seed...why?? Their best win is an 8 point win over a Georgia team that is likely not in the tournament. Wow, that's weird...Here I was thinking Temple was a top 25 team, and Richmond is in the field too assuming they don't lose early in the A-10 tournament. Oh, then there was also that win over that little team from Indianapolis, Butler. Maybe you've heard of them? To say X has played nobody and that their best win is over Georgia, shows a lack of knowledge about X. UK also beat Vandy this week. Won @UT, and beat Florida all in the past 8 days. I think that justifies a bump in seeding, obviously, I'm not alone in that regard.
March 7, 201115 yr Author I could've swore that UK beat Vandy earlier in the week, and aren't the Vol's considered a tourney team? Do you think the Cat's should've moved down? I don't think they should've moved down, but I would've had them as a steady 5 seed. Vanderbilt isn't as good on the road, just like Kentucky, so the win by UK at home should've been expected. The win over Tennessee is solid, but Tennessee also lost to Oakland and College of Charleston at home as well.
March 7, 201115 yr Author Wow, that's weird...Here I was thinking Temple was a top 25 team, and Richmond is in the field too assuming they don't lose early in the A-10 tournament. Oh, then there was also that win over that little team from Indianapolis, Butler. Maybe you've heard of them? To say X has played nobody and that their best win is over Georgia, shows a lack of knowledge about X. UK also beat Vandy this week. Won @UT, and beat Florida all in the past 8 days. I think that justifies a bump in seeding, obviously, I'm not alone in that regard. Cincinnati goes 5-1 over the last 6 with wins on the road at Providence, at Marquette, and at Georgetown and take care of business at home against Georgetown in a blow out, and Louisville but yet they should stay a 7 seed? Come on now...much more impressive resume than both UK and Xavier. That same Providence team beat Alabama who is considered one of the better teams in the SEC. As for your posts about Xavier's schedule, I'm well aware of who Xavier has played and beaten. They beat a projected 12 seed Butler team, 11 seed Richmond, 7 seed Temple, and a Georgia team that is not in the tournament as of right now. Again...no way Xavier should be a 5 seed over a team like Cincinnati. Unlike X, Cincinnati also has no bad losses.
March 10, 201115 yr Could Uk steal a 3 seed by winning SEC tourney? While not likely, I'd say it's possible, would mean they've beat Florida twice which would likely move them ahead of Florida. Really would depend on what happens in the other conference tournaments. We'll have a better idea by Friday night.
March 10, 201115 yr Author While not likely, I'd say it's possible, would mean they've beat Florida twice which would likely move them ahead of Florida. Really would depend on what happens in the other conference tournaments. We'll have a better idea by Friday night. Agreed. Their best chance is to win their conference tournament and hoping some teams ahead of them in the rankings lose. Btw, UC still a 7 seed in today's bracket...joke.
March 10, 201115 yr Agreed. Their best chance is to win their conference tournament and hoping some teams ahead of them in the rankings lose. Btw, UC still a 7 seed in today's bracket...joke. I'd say UK at this point is at worst a 5 seed, that's even if they lose Friday, I say this bc other teams around their seed will suffer a loss this week. Each game they win this week is a probable increase in seed from a 5 seed, with a 3 seed being as high as I see them getting. If UK can make it to the championship game I'd say they're likely a 4 seed, win it and they may be lucky enough to get a 3 seed. Given the drop off from likely 1 seeds to likely 2 seeds, I think it would really benefit UK's tournament chances to get a 3 seed. As for UC I was kind of surprised to see that as well, perhaps it will go up after the hurting they put on USF tonight, not that USF is a good team but they got their butts whooped tonight. I think UC should end up a 5 seed, but a good showing in their conference tournament will certainly help their cause. This seems like one of the more exciting conference tournament weeks in a recent memories because there isn't any clear cut favorite in any of the power conferences with the exception of tOSU.
March 10, 201115 yr Could Uk steal a 3 seed by winning SEC tourney? I was wondering the same thing. I'd say if Florida loses early, and UK runs the table they could get a 3 seed that Florida would be getting and Fla might drop to a 4. Who knows...It's not even likely that Florida loses early anyways. I'm expecting a 4 but I do think a 3 is possible.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.