Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hard throwing pitchers

Featured Replies

Who are the hardest throwing kids in the state?

  • Replies 69
  • Views 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In NKY I would say the top 3 in no order are Tyler Sexton(Dixie Heights), Jake Cain(NCC), and Colin Johnson(Beechwood)

I would say there are a handful of Kentucky HS pitchers that throw 90+....

Matt Spalding hit 95 mph multiple times last Saturday during an inter-squad St X scrimmage

Matt Spalding hit 95 mph multiple times last Saturday during an inter-squad St X scrimmage

 

Well Mr. Beanie, you must be new around here because you are apparently not familiar with Rule 3 of BGP which prohibits posting false or misleading information. I've been informed on here that no pitchers in the entire Commonwealth in Kentucky can throw in the 90's except for a pitcher from UK, Alex Meyer. You sure you weren't at a major league spring training game when you saw 95?

Chandler Shepherd of Lawrence County. He's signed with UK and is a TPX All American.

58Bulldogs - - The Padre's had a scout at the scrimmage and the reading was off of their gun!

Beanie, just look at the thread re 9th region so you can be educated on how hard kids can really throw.

  • Author
Well Mr. Beanie, you must be new around here because you are apparently not familiar with Rule 3 of BGP which prohibits posting false or misleading information. I've been informed on here that no pitchers in the entire Commonwealth in Kentucky can throw in the 90's except for a pitcher from UK, Alex Meyer. You sure you weren't at a major league spring training game when you saw 95?

 

I saw Spalding throw in the 90's this fall in Jupiter, FL. And it was not just someone with a gun "that needs to be recalirated", it was on number of guns being held by major league scouts.

There are some more kids in the state throwing in the 90,s

So Mr Beanie is not breaking Rule 3.

Well Mr. Beanie, you must be new around here because you are apparently not familiar with Rule 3 of BGP which prohibits posting false or misleading information. I've been informed on here that no pitchers in the entire Commonwealth in Kentucky can throw in the 90's except for a pitcher from UK, Alex Meyer. You sure you weren't at a major league spring training game when you saw 95?

 

 

58Bulldogs I have to support Beanie28 on this. I have personally witnessed Mr. Spalding throwing in the 90s in fact the link below offers proof that he threw 94 in Jupiter this fall. In addition he hit 90 in Ft. Myers in 2009.

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=116572

 

As for other pitchers throwing in the 90s you may want to check out the following links:

 

Chandler Shepherd, Senior, Lawrence County (Clocked at 91 MPH)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=152310

 

Mark Biggs, Senior, Warren East (Clocked at 92 MPH)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=217210

 

Tyler Authur, Senior, Lexington Catholic (Clocked at 90 MPH)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=275943

 

Walker Buehler, Junior, Henery Clay (Clocked at 90)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=268657

 

Chase Mullins, Junior, Bourbon County, (Clocked at 91 MPH)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=285841

 

Clinton Hollon, Sophomore, Woodford County (Clocked at 92 MPH)

 

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=282234

 

I have seen most of these guys throw and I can assure you they are the real deal. As for who can throw there consistently for multiple innings I have only personally wittiness Mr. Spalding and Mr. Hollon do this, so it seems that you were informed inaccurately.

Edited by condor986

Condor, Rew2, Beanie,

My apologies...this was my attempt at humor. I was being sarcastic. I had previously posted about Spalding in the 9th Region thread and was immediately bashed by 5 or 6 people who suggested I was either lying or confused because I had been in a blimp over Arizona watching a Spring Training game when I saw Spalding throwing in the 90s and three other Tigers in the 80's.

Condor, Rew2, Beanie,

My apologies...this was my attempt at humor. I was being sarcastic. I had previously posted about Spalding in the 9th Region thread and was immediately bashed by 5 or 6 people who suggested I was either lying or confused because I had been in a blimp over Arizona watching a Spring Training game when I saw Spalding throwing in the 90s and three other Tigers in the 80's.

 

Ahhh.. Humor and Tone can be hard to convey without the proper background or emoticon :-). I have not read the entire 9th Region post so I was not aware that you had been chastised. You may want to point them to this thread. There are a number of us who have seen these numbers on multiple guns while in FL and other tournament games.

  • Author
Condor, Rew2, Beanie,

My apologies...this was my attempt at humor. I was being sarcastic. I had previously posted about Spalding in the 9th Region thread and was immediately bashed by 5 or 6 people who suggested I was either lying or confused because I had been in a blimp over Arizona watching a Spring Training game when I saw Spalding throwing in the 90s and three other Tigers in the 80's.

Sorry, I thought you were another one from the 9th region thread, who thinks high school kids can't throw like this, one even said a NKY coach told him no one in KY throws that hard. As you know they do.

I think these doubters need to get out and see some big time high school baseball!!!

Chandler Shepherd of Lawrence County. He's signed with UK and is a TPX All American.

 

Beat me to it Stick... Wonder how many of the guys on this list can hit 70 with thier other hand?

Sorry, I thought you were another one from the 9th region thread, who thinks high school kids can't throw like this, one even said a NKY coach told him no one in KY throws that hard. As you know they do.

I think these doubters need to get out and see some big time high school baseball!!!

 

There is no question there are kids out there that throw this hard, but I'm sure you'll admit they are by far the exception and not the norm. 95 mph is unreal for a high school pitcher. You won't find but a small handful of kids across the entire country that have that velocity. 90 is pretty rare at the high school level.

 

I believe what some people are saying - and I am in this category myself - is that the number of pitchers alleged to throw 80 mph is vastly overstated by BGP posters/dads/fans. Are there 80 mph pitchers out there? Sure. Absolutely. A fair number. But not nearly as many as are proclaimed to throw that hard. 80 mph is a darn good high school fastball (90 mph is outstanding; 95 mph is ridiculous hard for a 17-18 year old), but it seems to be the benchmark for if a kid throws "hard." If you throw 79 mph, you are a "puff baller". If you throw 80 mph, you are a "flame thrower". Therefore, everyone wants to be included into this 80 mph category. I had a dad one time tell me his sophomore son was throwing upper 80's and was hoping he'd hit 90 by the end of the year. When I saw him pitch, I would guess he was in the low-70's at best. (I own a professional radar gun, use it a fair amount, and have been around baseball a long time - not an expert, but I'm usually pretty close to my mph guesses). I just don't think a lot of people really know what an 80 mph fastball looks like.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.