February 8, 201115 yr Any wrestler in that division is going to challenge him, possibly beat him.....he wont enjoy the size difference and he just isn't a very good wrestler, offensively or defensively. Shogun, Rashad, Bader, Jones, Rampage, heck even Couture, if they wanted him on the ground hes going there and while he is dangerous off his back those guys hit waaaay harder than Sonnen. Lets not even get to the wrestlers in HW, he would stand no chance against anyone in the top 15.
February 8, 201115 yr Author In the fight with Damien Maia (sp?) am I crazy or was Silva purposefully showing off with those kicks to his hands while he was on the ground, showing just how pinpoint he can be. He amazes me in so many ways. Everytime he steps in the octagon I expect him to KO the other guy, every single time. How many fighters can you say that about? Anyone else? Even with GSP you can expect a decision victory from time to time, but when Silva is in the cage I expect KO. Obviously it doesn't always happen, but I sure think it will.
February 8, 201115 yr Any wrestler in that division is going to challenge him, possibly beat him.....he wont enjoy the size difference and he just isn't a very good wrestler, offensively or defensively. Shogun, Rashad, Bader, Jones, Rampage, heck even Couture, if they wanted him on the ground hes going there and while he is dangerous off his back those guys hit waaaay harder than Sonnen. Lets not even get to the wrestlers in HW, he would stand no chance against anyone in the top 15. The heavyweight division isn't all that stacked. I think saying that he couldn't compete with anyone in the top 15 is stretching it.
February 8, 201115 yr The heavyweight division isn't all that stacked. I think saying that he couldn't compete with anyone in the top 15 is stretching it. I agree. He'd have a shot against any HW's that aren't strong wrestlers and prefer to stand and trade, IMO.
February 8, 201115 yr Any wrestler in that division is going to challenge him, possibly beat him.....he wont enjoy the size difference and he just isn't a very good wrestler, offensively or defensively. Shogun, Rashad, Bader, Jones, Rampage, heck even Couture, if they wanted him on the ground hes going there and while he is dangerous off his back those guys hit waaaay harder than Sonnen. The size difference certainly leads me to believe it would be more interesting. I think its worth noting that Silva reportedly suffered an injury in the week prior to the Sonnen fight. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I do know that's the easiest I've ever seen anyone take him down, and then do it repeatedly. The only other one I can remember is the Lutter fight, and Silva had recent knee surgery going into that fight. But, I'd certainly give Shogun and Jon Jones a chance to beat him. Shogun, when healthy, is an explosive and dynamic striker and may be the only guy in MMA right now that I think would stand a reasonable chance of beating Silva with striking. Jones might be able to overpower him. I think the rest of those guys are iffier. I don't see Bader or Couture beating Silva. Rashad, maybe, if he could take him down and dominate the wrestling. And, Rampage maybe...but Rampage tends to prefer a stand-up fight and he couldn't beat Silva in that type of fight. I'm not convinced he'd be disciplined enough to be committed to taking him down and wrestling. I'd love to see Silva fight some of these guys.
February 8, 201115 yr In the fight with Damien Maia (sp?) am I crazy or was Silva purposefully showing off with those kicks to his hands while he was on the ground, showing just how pinpoint he can be. He amazes me in so many ways. Everytime he steps in the octagon I expect him to KO the other guy, every single time. How many fighters can you say that about? Anyone else? Even with GSP you can expect a decision victory from time to time, but when Silva is in the cage I expect KO. Obviously it doesn't always happen, but I sure think it will. That's why he's an automatic $45 for me.
February 8, 201115 yr The heavyweight division isn't all that stacked. I think saying that he couldn't compete with anyone in the top 15 is stretching it. 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15 USA today rankings, pick who you'd think he'd beat. This is a great debate.
February 8, 201115 yr 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15 USA today rankings, pick who you'd think he'd beat. This is a great debate. I know Werdum beat Fedor but I still dont think he is that great of a fighter. Imo those guys ranked 5-10 would beat him.
February 8, 201115 yr 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15 USA today rankings, pick who you'd think he'd beat. This is a great debate. I think Silva could definitely beat all those in the bold. He would have a chance against a couple others, especially if he got to around 220.
February 8, 201115 yr 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15 USA today rankings, pick who you'd think he'd beat. This is a great debate. If he could keep the fight standing, I think he could beat any of those guys. Obviously, the big, strong wrestlers would seem to be the longest odds. The combination of smaller HW, not a wrestler, not great striking...any of the guys with at least two of those would be his best chance to win. Guys like Mir and Werdum. Brock is interesting. It's hard to picture Silva being able to stuff a takedown, but if he lands a punch, he might win because Brock has yet to prove he can handle a good striker. Fedor is interesting because he isn't a huge guy. Silva might be able to keep that fight standing.
February 8, 201115 yr I think Silva could definitely beat all those in the bold. He would have a chance against a couple others, especially if he got to around 220. I think he'd have a chance against all of them, to be honest. The biggest hurdles, on paper anyway, would be Lesnar and Carwin simply because of their size and wrestling ability.
February 9, 201115 yr I think he'd have a chance against all of them, to be honest. The biggest hurdles, on paper anyway, would be Lesnar and Carwin simply because of their size and wrestling ability. He definitely has a chance against all of them, but unless he adds a lot of weight to his fight night frame it would be very touch to beat like you say, Carwin and Lesnar. IMO it would be very tough to beat Cain as well because well, Cains a beast. So pretty much I think he has a chance to beat any of them, but the ones I bolded are the ones I feel he could no doubt win. The others would be toss ups, pretty much a on any given night scenario, but in a best of 10 I could see them strategically getting the best out of Silva 6/10 times but thats just because of size and wrestling ability. If Silva could get up to about a 220 lbs fight size and keep most of his speed and quickness then its a different story. But at his size and at their size as it stands it would be tough.
February 9, 201115 yr He definitely has a chance against all of them, but unless he adds a lot of weight to his fight night frame it would be very touch to beat like you say, Carwin and Lesnar. IMO it would be very tough to beat Cain as well because well, Cains a beast. So pretty much I think he has a chance to beat any of them, but the ones I bolded are the ones I feel he could no doubt win. The others would be toss ups, pretty much a on any given night scenario, but in a best of 10 I could see them strategically getting the best out of Silva 6/10 times but thats just because of size and wrestling ability. If Silva could get up to about a 220 lbs fight size and keep most of his speed and quickness then its a different story. But at his size and at their size as it stands it would be tough. I agree with you about Cain.
February 9, 201115 yr No way he beats Barnett and some of those guys are not good defensive wrestlers but they are pretty dang good at takedowns....I see 3 he might go better than .500 against. 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15
February 9, 201115 yr No way he beats Barnett and some of those guys are not good defensive wrestlers but they are pretty dang good at takedowns....I see 3 he might go better than .500 against. 1 Cain Velasquez 99 UFC 1 2 Brock Lesnar 91 UFC 2 3 Fedor Emelianenko 89 M-1 Global / Strikeforce 3 4 Fabricio Werdum 87 Strikeforce 4 5 Junior Dos Santos 85 UFC 5 6 Shane Carwin 82 UFC 6 7 Alistair Overeem 77 Strikeforce 8 8 Frank Mir 75 UFC 7 9 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira 69 UFC 9 10 Antonio Silva 54 Strikeforce 10 11 Josh Barnett 46 Strikeforce 11 12 Brett Rogers 39 Strikeforce 12 13 Brendan Schaub 36 UFC 13 14 Roy Nelson 34 UFC 14 15 Cheick Kongo 29 UFC 15 You do not think Anderson Silva could beat Roy Nelson more than 5 out of 10 times????????????
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.