January 17, 201115 yr Why does everyone think this is a good deal? The Reds owned his rights for the next three years regardless. Now they are paying him an avg. of 12.666 million dollars a year. If he went to arbitration each of the next three years it was estimated that Joey would make 8.5-9.5 Million. Now they are paying him 3-4 Million more than they needed to. Why is this a good deal? Votto probably would have made about 8 million this season in arbitration. And if he continued to put up similiar numbers over the next two years he would have made much more in the process the next two seasons. Cincy probably overpaid, but it's worth doing to avoid going to arbitration with your franchise player. Plus, hopefully it'll show Votto the Reds are serious when the next contract rolls around.
January 17, 201115 yr I have made it known on here that I do disagree with this being a "baseball town" anymore. This is not a baseball town like other baseball towns at all. Yes this was no doubt a baseball town back in the 70's during the Big Red Machine days. The people who were around during that time definitely will always think of it as a baseball town too. However things do change, and this is definitely not a baseball town anymore, or at least not by much. Just because it was at one time, doesn't mean it always will be. With the popularity of baseball going down with every new generation, and how football from high school, to college, and pros keep growing in popularity with people. This town has started to change, and it it had a half way decent ran football team in Cincy, I think that would be obvious. Mike Brown just makes it hard for people to completely get behind them. This city is up for grabs IMO, and is just begging for a consistent winner somewhere out of their teams. You just made my point. Cincy is begging for a winner. And if the Reds can prove last year wasn't a fluke, we'll see fans showing their support.
January 17, 201115 yr I have mixed feelings on this deal. Obviously, I love the fact that we paid Votto and it shows that the Reds are committed to winning and keeping the talent in place. But, I think they overpaid for him and just don't understand how this deal benefits the Reds. With that said, Votto is a unique guy. If Walt and those in charge think/know that this deal means a lot to Votto & increases our chances of keeping him around in the future, then so be it.
January 17, 201115 yr I have mixed feelings on this deal. Obviously, I love the fact that we paid Votto and it shows that the Reds are committed to winning and keeping the talent in place. But, I think they overpaid for him and just don't understand how this deal benefits the Reds. With that said, Votto is a unique guy. If Walt and those in charge think/know that this deal means a lot to Votto & increases our chances of keeping him around in the future, then so be it. Maybe just a showing of good faith in hopes he sticks around after the 3 years is the best guess I can come up with.
January 17, 201115 yr Maybe just a showing of good faith in hopes he sticks around after the 3 years is the best guess I can come up with. I don't see the "good faith" as a factor with Joey V.
January 17, 201115 yr I have mixed feelings on this deal. Obviously, I love the fact that we paid Votto and it shows that the Reds are committed to winning and keeping the talent in place. But, I think they overpaid for him and just don't understand how this deal benefits the Reds. With that said, Votto is a unique guy. If Walt and those in charge think/know that this deal means a lot to Votto & increases our chances of keeping him around in the future, then so be it. Ryan Howard got 10 million in 2008. One would believe that Votto would have recieved a little more than that. Now if Votto goes out and puts up similar numbers this year, then goes to arbitration for the second year. My guess is he would get more than 15 million. I don't think we overpaid at all.
January 17, 201115 yr Yonder has to be thrilled. My guess is he will be gone before Votto's contract comes due.
January 17, 201115 yr Ryan Howard got 10 million in 2008. One would believe that Votto would have recieved a little more than that. Now if Votto goes out and puts up similar numbers this year, then goes to arbitration for the second year. My guess is he would get more than 15 million. I don't think we overpaid at all. What makes you think Votto would have gotten more than $10 million in arbitration? Ryan Howard's Stats: '05 - He only played 88 games but won ROY. .288 Avg, .356 OBP, 22 HR & 63 RBI '06 - .313 AVG, .425 OBP, 58 HR, 149 RBI in 159 Games (All-Star, MVP & Silver Slugger) '07 - .268 AVG, .392 OBP, 47 HR, 136 RBI Votto's Stats: '07 - Only 24 games - .321 AVG, .360 OBP, 4 HR, 17 RBI '08 - .297 AVG, .368 OBP, 24 HR, 84 RBI '09 - .322 AVG, .414 OBP, 25 HR, 84 RBI '10 - .324 AVG, .424 OBP, 37 HR, 113 RBI, 16 SB
January 17, 201115 yr I've read one quote from an agent who can't believe the Reds didn't get a contract long enough to put off FA for at least one year.
January 17, 201115 yr What makes you think Votto would have gotten more than $10 million in arbitration? Ryan Howard's Stats: '05 - He only played 88 games but won ROY. .288 Avg, .356 OBP, 22 HR & 63 RBI '06 - .313 AVG, .425 OBP, 58 HR, 149 RBI in 159 Games (All-Star, MVP & Silver Slugger) '07 - .268 AVG, .392 OBP, 47 HR, 136 RBI Votto's Stats: '07 - Only 24 games - .321 AVG, .360 OBP, 4 HR, 17 RBI '08 - .297 AVG, .368 OBP, 24 HR, 84 RBI '09 - .322 AVG, .414 OBP, 25 HR, 84 RBI '10 - .324 AVG, .424 OBP, 37 HR, 113 RBI, 16 SB Main reason is Howard got his money in 2008 and now its 2011. I wonder what Howard got paid 2005-2007?
January 17, 201115 yr I've read one quote from an agent who can't believe the Reds didn't get a contract long enough to put off FA for at least one year. Everything seems to be leading to Votto leaving when he becomes a free agent. IF there's a big money difference from what the Reds can pay and what he could make.
January 17, 201115 yr I don't see the "good faith" as a factor with Joey V. Why else would they do it? He didn't wanna deal with arbitration every year possibly.
January 17, 201115 yr Everything seems to be leading to Votto leaving when he becomes a free agent. I agree. No way they'll be able to pay him what he's worth.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.