NKMSBL Week of 11/29/2010

BigDP

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want some entertainment check out the sixth grade group; the magician had some double pump free throws and I need a morphine pump. The state of the bball program is on life support:cry:

LOL. I honestly thought they were trying to draw a lane violation on the free throw attempts.

That lasted one whole game. It was determined by the powers-that-be that a first year coach handling 15 boys at practice and games is better than having a parent get involved and help out the program. Sometimes the decisions that are made by our school systems leave me scratching my head.

Just to let you know that HMS is not the only school going through this same situation. One coach (in practice and during games) for 15 boys is a lot to ask for and to not allow a parent to 'help out' or at least track minutes, Time outs, fouls, or even be a sounding board for the head coach is just not in anyones best interest.

As for the games, the 6th grade Gray v. HMS game was not even competitive. The majority of the Gray starters didn't even play the second half.

The 7th grade game was good, Moss and the big boy from HMS are both very good players. The game could have gone either way. As for the score being incorrect, can't the visiting team put a book person on the scorer's table as well? Or, at least on the bench to bring situations like this up immediately instead of having parents yell across the gym to the coach and have the score book person come out of the stands to go over to check the score? Just an observation. I truly don't know if the score was updated incorrectly or not, but not having someone over there to immediately bring it up kind of makes it difficult to review.

The 8th grade game was good as well and could have gone either way.

Good luck to both teams and programs as the season progresses.

What probably should have happened is the scorekeeper should have gone over at the end of the quarter and tried to straighten it out, but that is water under the bridge. As for the scorekeeper sitting at the score's table, there was no room at the inn. IMO the scorekeeper should be sitting on the bench next to the coach for the very reasons that you pointed out, i.e. timeouts, personal fouls, team fouls etc.

As for parents helping out, the head coach of the boys basketball program is the person that does not want to allow help to any of the middle school coaches for the fear of the complaining parents. So these coaches are stuck out on an island trying to occupy 15 kids in practice and then trying to find the time to get them into the games. I think the HMS coaches have done a commendable job considering the hands that they have been dealt. Heck the varsity/JV team has 10 players at practice and at least 2 or 3 assistants and yet the middle school teams are left to handle 15 kids, go figure.

What probably should have happened is the scorekeeper should have gone over at the end of the quarter and tried to straighten it out, but that is water under the bridge. As for the scorekeeper sitting at the score's table, there was no room at the inn. IMO the scorekeeper should be sitting on the bench next to the coach for the very reasons that you pointed out, i.e. timeouts, personal fouls, team fouls etc.

As for parents helping out, the head coach of the boys basketball program is the person that does not want to allow help to any of the middle school coaches for the fear of the complaining parents. So these coaches are stuck out on an island trying to occupy 15 kids in practice and then trying to find the time to get them into the games. I think the HMS coaches have done a commendable job considering the hands that they have been dealt. Heck the varsity/JV team has 10 players at practice and at least 2 or 3 assistants and yet the middle school teams are left to handle 15 kids, go figure.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't most middle school teams like that? I know at our school all of the teams have only one coach. The 8th grade coach has former players that are in high school or college help out, but other than that they are on their own.

:lol:I hear the 7th grade team has picked up a great assistant coach and that he makes a big difference in the teaching of the game!!!!!!!

Seems with many of your posts you had an axe to grind with the coach before he even started, what gives? 4-2 seems pretty good to start the season.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't most middle school teams like that? I know at our school all of the teams have only one coach. The 8th grade coach has former players that are in high school or college help out, but other than that they are on their own.

How many kids are on the team? In this case their are 15 kids on the team and 2 managers/ballboys that are allowed to practice with the team as well for a total of 17. Impossible for a coach to entertain that many kids at a practice much less find time for them to play in a game. You either choose to tick off the better players by making sure that every kid gets in the game or you tick off the lesser players by playing to win each game which means not everyone sees the floor. Then you have to deal with the complaining parents that feel that their little Johnny should get as much playing time as Joey when it is very evident to the unbiased eye that Johnny is not as good as Joey. IMO by the time you get to 7th and/or 8th grade you are playing to represent your school and win. It is no longer recreation basketball where everyone gets to play an equal amount of time and get a trophy at the end of the year. Heck there are kids that play basketball year round to hone their skills and those that do nothing but play during the school year and yet are supposed to get equal time in games? Good way to ruin your high school program by trying to keep everyone happy because at some point down the road everyone is not going to be happy because of roster limitations.

You want some entertainment check out the sixth grade group; the magician had some double pump free throws and I need a morphine pump. The state of the bball program is on life support:cry:

The 6th grade team got their second win of the season tonight versus Camp Ernst. I believe the final margin was about 6 points.

The 7th grade team won by about 9 points in a game that to put bluntly was awful from the level of play to the officiating. Poor Poor exhibition of basketball displayed tonight by a team that played Gray to the very end last night. Record now stands at 5-2 heading into next weeks action.

Seems with many of your posts you had an axe to grind with the coach before he even started, what gives? 4-2 seems pretty good to start the season.

First of all if you see the laughing face this post was directed towards the new now former assistant.............Second "axe to grind" is a joke. I gave an opinion about a school system who is hiring less than qualified coaches................and has had two very qualified quit right before the season started. And the assistant they allowed for only a little bit of time IS an excellent coach who would make an impact on how the game is being taught. But as was stated in another post he was not allowed to continue which is a shame especially if you read about the amount of players and (the real joke) managers who for some reason have to be allowed to practice even though they were cut because mommy and daddy complain.

15 players on one team and it's not a rec team? No-win situation for that coach.

Secondly, why not have an other non-parent assistant coach? That's the way we always did it.

Bingo you win the prize. Had a hard enough time getting coaches for each of the middle school teams to begin with on the boys and girls side let along getting someone to assist.

First of all if you see the laughing face this post was directed towards the new now former assistant.............Second "axe to grind" is a joke. I gave an opinion about a school system who is hiring less than qualified coaches................and has had two very qualified quit right before the season started. And the assistant they allowed for only a little bit of time IS an excellent coach who would make an impact on how the game is being taught. But as was stated in another post he was not allowed to continue which is a shame especially if you read about the amount of players and (the real joke) managers who for some reason have to be allowed to practice even though they were cut because mommy and daddy complain.

I totally agree with everything you said. I especially agree with the quality assistant part. This guy knows the game and can help teach these kids. It's ridiculous some of the stuff that goes on at HMS with their basketball program..

IMO keeping 15 kids is the real joke for any Middle School team. They should only have 12 kids on that roster and the other kids who didnt make it should go seek competetive basketball elsewhere if they want to keep improving with hopes of making next year's team. One coach should be able to handle 12 kids but it is asking a lot to not have someone assisting. I do understand where Coach Flynn is coming from with keeping the parents out of it though. It might be good for the kids because they are qualified but it causes a lot of dissent from within and also creates a mess witht he parents in the stands. I think its all about the way you structure your practices and if you can get the kids into rythmn with doing the same things every practice they can do many things on their own like ballhandling, shooting drills, etc. When it comes time to do team stuff then you have 2 groups going at it and a couple kids standing off watching and subbing in. If you have 15 kids and 2 waterboys who dress for practice then you are wasting a lot of kids' time and they arent getting any better.

Like the HC tells the JV/Varsity, basketball players are made in the offseason and basketball teams are made during the season. If you didnt get picked to play then go make your self better and if you are on the team then you need to listen to the coach and make your team better.

IMO keeping 15 kids is the real joke for any Middle School team. They should only have 12 kids on that roster and the other kids who didnt make it should go seek competetive basketball elsewhere if they want to keep improving with hopes of making next year's team. .

Why wouldn't Highlands put 10 on the team and then have "B" teams like other schools do? Plenty of B leagues and it's solid basketball.