Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

George W. Bush Book Tour

Featured Replies

Johnson escalated the war, and Nixon continued it. Kennedy did neither, and may have even pulled out had he lived.

 

It has been reported over the years that Iraqi scientists that had defected told the CIA that the WMD didn't exist. Saddam hadn't used them since before the first Gulf War.

 

We had no proof that WMD existed ... only suppositions.

 

I've always maintained (and there is evidence to support it) that the Bush administration wanted "regime change" in Iraq from the time it took office. In my opinion, they used the fear in the aftermath of 9/11 to help sell the invasion to the American people.

 

I don't see that as erring on the side of caution. As far as I'm concerned, they erred on the side of recklessness.

 

Kennedy did as much as anyone to escalate US involvement in Vietnam but gets a pass. There is absolutely no evidence that he would have changed course. He gets a pass because he's still the golden boy in many people's eyes due to his charm and his term being cut short.

 

As to the rest of your post, I obviously see it differently. This lack of consensus about the Iraq war is why I think over time Bush will be seen in a better light. Now on his spending I think there is a consensus that it was way overboard so I believe he will not get a pass on it down the road. Unless of course subsequent events diminish his spending levels. Right now that could happen.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am well aware of the WMD issues ... bottom line, any commander-in-chief has the obligation to get it right when he sends our troops to invade a country that didn't attack us. Bush didn't. Period.

 

And ... there is a big difference between working to get Saddam out of power and actually invading the country. Could the former have been achieved through other methods? Perhaps, but I think a sound argument can be made that the "benefits" of the Iraq War weren't worth the costs.

 

At this point in time I would not disagree with this statement. However, we're talking long term history so it's possible that some day we will be able to say the benefits did outweight the costs. I really hope we can because the alternative is disturbing.

I am not sure if you have been watching South Park recently but they have a super hero character that they introduced called Captain Hindsight.
It's not hindsight ... I felt the same way in 2003. Saddam wasn't a threat to us.

 

And that doesn't change the fact that, when the chips were down, the Bush administration was dead wrong on the WMD issue, and that was the primary reason cited for us going to war.

  • Author
It's not hindsight ... I felt the same way in 2003. Saddam wasn't a threat to us.

 

And that doesn't change the fact that, when the chips were down, the Bush administration was dead wrong on the WMD issue, and that was the primary reason cited for us going to war.

 

That was the primary reason we went to Iraq. Not to war.

That was the primary reason we went to Iraq. Not to war.
I wasn't referring to Afghanistan, if that is what you're implying.

 

We had no compelling reason to go to Iraq, and it was a costly mistake to make.

 

Regardless of some of the good things that Bush did in office, he won't be able to overcome that.

Because when people remove their emotions and bias thinking they will see he wasn't as bad as some people said he was.

 

Aids in Africa for one. He did more for that continent than any previous president. If memory serves me correctly Bush had more minorities in his cabinet than any previous administration. I know it doesn't matter my reasons because they won't change your mind about him. But, let me suggest that people should go behind the rhetoric and do some research.

 

I once thought that John Kennedy was a great president until I did a further study. I believed, as my parents did, that he did a lot for civil rights and I found I was wrong. He wasn't as great as some say he is. It was Lyndon Johnson and Everett Dirksen who passed most if not all of the major civil rights bills of the 1960's.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Here's what former president Bill Clinton said about the book:

 

 

"Well-written and interesting from start to finish."

 

"I think people of all political stripes should read it, George W. Bush also gives readers a good sense of what it’s like to be president, to take the responsibilities of the office seriously, do what you think is right, and let history be the judge."

 

 

"The book may not change the minds of those who disagree with decisions President Bush made, but it will help you to understand better the forces that molded him and the convictions that drove him to make those decisions."

 

"I hope 'Decision Points' will help my fellow Democrats to see why I like George Bush, in spite of our differences, and will encourage all Americans, whatever our politics, to be more open to listening to and working with those with whom we disagree. America needs that now."

Here's what former president Bill Clinton said about the book:

 

 

"Well-written and interesting from start to finish."

 

"I think people of all political stripes should read it, George W. Bush also gives readers a good sense of what it’s like to be president, to take the responsibilities of the office seriously, do what you think is right, and let history be the judge."

 

 

"The book may not change the minds of those who disagree with decisions President Bush made, but it will help you to understand better the forces that molded him and the convictions that drove him to make those decisions."

 

"I hope 'Decision Points' will help my fellow Democrats to see why I like George Bush, in spite of our differences, and will encourage all Americans, whatever our politics, to be more open to listening to and working with those with whom we disagree. America needs that now."

 

My copy should arrive today. I'm eager. :thumb:

Very rarely do I buy books anymore. I am second on the waiting list at the public library.

  • Author
Kanye has apologized to President Bush..

 

I saw the whole Kanye West apologizing thing...he got mad at Lauer and the crew. He apparently does not know how these interviews go. Look at 3:30 and 6:20..this seriously made me laugh.

 

 

I quote Kanye "Please don't let it happen again." "Could ya'll be quiet."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.