Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hey Hypocrites!! Cat got your tongue?

Featured Replies

Honestly as a card fan I think Pitino should be fired. After nine seasons we are in no better shape than we were when Denny Crum was fired. Pitino has national title, pro coaching experience, and was coming off of a Big East championship and #1 overall seed and a new arena being built and he cannot seem to get the recruits anymore. At least on a consistant basis. The last two classes were not very good especially last year. Coach Crum was a hall of famer with two titles. But he lost it in the recruitng area. With the Cypher case and now the woods recruiting Pitino looks desperate. As for Cal, like him dislike him, think he is cheating or bending the rules, he can seal the deal wth recruits. Anytime your signing them at the rate he is you are going to be questioned.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly as a card fan I think Pitino should be fired. After nine seasons we are in no better shape than we were when Denny Crum was fired. Pitino has national title, pro coaching experience, and was coming off of a Big East championship and #1 overall seed and a new arena being built and he cannot seem to get the recruits anymore. At least on a consistant basis. The last two classes were not very good especially last year. Coach Crum was a hall of famer with two titles. But he lost it in the recruitng area. With the Cypher case and now the woods recruiting Pitino looks desperate. As for Cal, like him dislike him, think he is cheating or bending the rules, he can seal the deal wth recruits. Anytime your signing them at the rate he is you are going to be questioned.

 

A very fair post from a UL fan, and I think you're spot-on in your assessment. I can't see any benefit of hanging on to Pitino. I still believe the man can coach, but he's a shell of his former self & has made quite a mess of the UL program. Cal's presence has shaken him, and I think when RP suggested UK hire Ford or Pelphrey, that was the first sign of weakness--that he didn't want Cal around. Then came Sypher, under-achieving seasons, and recruiting misses/disasters. It's almost been a perfect storm raging against Rick, and most of it from his own doing.

A very fair post from a UL fan, and I think you're spot-on in your assessment. I can't see any benefit of hanging on to Pitino. I still believe the man can coach, but he's a shell of his former self & has made quite a mess of the UL program. Cal's presence has shaken him, and I think when RP suggested UK hire Ford or Pelphrey, that was the first sign of weakness--that he didn't want Cal around. Then came Sypher, under-achieving seasons, and recruiting misses/disasters. It's almost been a perfect storm raging against Rick, and most of it from his own doing.

 

I don't think Cal's presence has shaken him so much as the personal issues. I honestly think the suggestions re Ford or Pelphrey were from the perspective of his relationship to them, not because he's "scared" of Calipari.

 

And, as much as recent personal issues have shaken him, I actually think the downhill began on 9/11 when he lost his close friend and brother-in-law at the WTC. I know that when things like that happen to people, it seems like the whole world is spinning out of control. I think that's had more affect than anything on Pitino's entire life, not just basketball.

 

Up until this summer, I thought Pitino would be around for about 2-3 more years. Now, I'm not so sure. And I'm not sure what's best for the University. But I don't think Pitino is desparate, shaken by Cal, or anything like that. I really think he's just reeling from "life", if that makes any sense.

And, as much as recent personal issues have shaken him, I actually think the downhill began on 9/11 when he lost his close friend and brother-in-law at the WTC. I know that when things like that happen to people, it seems like the whole world is spinning out of control. I think that's had more affect than anything on Pitino's entire life, not just basketball.

 

Up until this summer, I thought Pitino would be around for about 2-3 more years. Now, I'm not so sure. And I'm not sure what's best for the University. But I don't think Pitino is desparate, shaken by Cal, or anything like that. I really think he's just reeling from "life", if that makes any sense.

 

Agree with the bolded. He's never been the same since then.

 

As for the rest, I think it's fairly obvious that Pitino is getting more and more desparate by the day. I can't see him sticking around after this season. JMO.

 

As for the rest, I think it's fairly obvious that Pitino is getting more and more desparate by the day. I can't see him sticking around after this season. JMO.

Nor do I. If the arena thing was not in the works, he would already be out.

Agree with the bolded. He's never been the same since then.

 

As for the rest, I think it's fairly obvious that Pitino is getting more and more desparate by the day. I can't see him sticking around after this season. JMO.

 

I guess the sticking point for me is the word "desparate". I don't see him as desparate. I see him as...I don't know..."haning on to life for dear life". I don't know how to explain it better. If you've ever been around someone who suffers from PTSD, or severe depression, and are trying to act like nothing is wrong, you know what I mean.

I guess the sticking point for me is the word "desparate". I don't see him as desparate. I see him as...I don't know..."haning on to life for dear life". I don't know how to explain it better. If you've ever been around someone who suffers from PTSD, or severe depression, and are trying to act like nothing is wrong, you know what I mean.

 

I know what you mean.

I don't think Cal's presence has shaken him so much as the personal issues. I honestly think the suggestions re Ford or Pelphrey were from the perspective of his relationship to them, not because he's "scared" of Calipari.

 

And, as much as recent personal issues have shaken him, I actually think the downhill began on 9/11 when he lost his close friend and brother-in-law at the WTC. I know that when things like that happen to people, it seems like the whole world is spinning out of control. I think that's had more affect than anything on Pitino's entire life, not just basketball.

 

Up until this summer, I thought Pitino would be around for about 2-3 more years. Now, I'm not so sure. And I'm not sure what's best for the University. But I don't think Pitino is desparate, shaken by Cal, or anything like that. I really think he's just reeling from "life", if that makes any sense.

 

Very good point about his brother-in-law. There's no question the loss severely impacted Pitino on a level not since his own son.

 

I would, however, respectfully (and strongly) disagree about Pitino not being shaken by Cal. From my perspective, it was painfully obvious that Rick didn't want Cal anywhere near the UK job, and for obvious reasons. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't have wanted him around either. While I'm sure Ford and Pelphrey are still close with Rick and he would love to help them advance their careers, I think recommending them had everything to do with looking out for Pitino & no one else.

 

UL isn't going to fire Pitino, or pressure him to leave--that much is obvious. But like you, I don't see him being around for 2-3 years. More than likely, he's there all of this year, just for the sake of putting butts in the seats at the new arena. And as far as next year goes, it's hard to tell.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.