Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track the Reds (2nd Half, Week 9)

Featured Replies

Some of use have lives and can't sit in front of the computer all day. If you'd read, you would know I'm stuck with night class...

 

Like I said about a week ago...I'll be nervous when the lead gets down to 2 games.

 

Well prepare to be nervous come Sunday evening.

  • Replies 934
  • Views 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Can anyone explain why Dusty had Ondrusek hit in the 7th and start the inning in a game they really needed to win w/ Chapman, Rhodes, Masset, and Cordero available? While it isn't his fault that Votto decided to play terrible defense I can't wait to hear the Dusty supporters defend that.

 

 

That's a valid question, and here is my take. The bullpen had really been used a lot the first three games. Ondrusek had a quick and easy 6th inning. He obviously wanted to have him get the first two righty hitters before brining in Chapman to face the lefties. He would have then used Masset for the 8th, and Cordero for the 9th. Votto made a bad toss on the play in the 8th, but the umpire blew the call when Votto went home with the ball in the 7th .And you know good and well I'm not a big Dusty supporter, but I had no problem with the way he managed today.

That's a valid question, and here is my take. The bullpen had really been used a lot the first three games. Ondrusek had a quick and easy 6th inning. He obviously wanted to have him get the first two righty hitters before brining in Chapman to face the lefties. He would have then used Masset for the 8th, and Cordero for the 9th. Votto made a bad toss on the play in the 8th, but the umpire blew the call when Votto went home with the ball in the 7th .And you know good and well I'm not a big Dusty supporter, but I had no problem with the way he managed today.

 

Maloney, Fisher, and Smith were the only pitchers used out of the pen last night. The pen was worked is a terrible excuse when Chapman, Masset, and Cordero should have gone the last 3 innings. More importantly its September and IMO there is absolutely no excuse for not trying to score runs in the 7th inning of a game when you are trying to avoid a 4 game sweep. The bench has more available players and Colorado isn't the best place to try to hold a 2 run lead for 3 innings. It all boils down to Dusty is a terrible manager. Good teams beat them b/c he has no clue how to manage this team. Sure he can beat the Pirates b/c he has clearly more talent.

Well prepare to be nervous come Sunday evening.

 

Very Doubtful.

  • Author

I'll be at the game on Sunday. If the lead is down to 2 after the game, don't let me near the suspension bridge.

I think Rhodes is hurt a lot worse than some of us think. I'm not sure he's "available" even when his arm is ready to go.

 

Another tough loss, but if we take care of business against Pittsburgh we'll be fine.

I think Rhodes is hurt a lot worse than some of us think. I'm not sure he's "available" even when his arm is ready to go.

 

Another tough loss, but if we take care of business against Pittsburgh we'll be fine.

 

I agree with everything you said. It still doesn't excuse Dusty for hitting Ondrusek.

 

It's nice when you can go 1-6 and still have a 5 game lead coming home to play the Pirates.

  • Author

Well even though it's the Pirates it doesn't get any easier tonight. Paul Maholm is usually pretty tough on the Reds.

My brother-in-law from Pittsburgh is in town this weekend and wants to go to the game so we're heading down Saturday night. To be honest, I'd rather be home watching Penn St / Bama.

Tonight's matchup:

 

Homer Bailey vs. Pirates: 5-0 1.57 ERA in 5 starts

Paul Maholm vs. Reds: 6-4 3.81 ERA in 18 starts

 

Tomorrow's matchup:

 

Aaron Harang vs. Pirates: 13-5 4.08 ERA in 22 starts

or

Edison Volquez vs. Pirates: 1-0 3.00 ERA in 4 starts

Charlie Morton vs. Reds: 1-4 6.84 ERA in 5 starts

 

Sunday's matchup:

Johnny Cueto vs. Pirates: 9-2 2.88 ERA in 12 starts

Brian Burres vs. Reds: 0-1 7.71 ERA in 1 start (2 games)

I know Volquez has been struggling but the Reds need to see if he fixed his problems. No way they pitch Harang again.

Well even though it's the Pirates it doesn't get any easier tonight. Paul Maholm is usually pretty tough on the Reds.

 

Homer dominates the Pirates though.

Homer dominates the Pirates though.

Maybe he will throw what the catcher wants him to instead of being bull headed.

Homer Bailey is 5-0 in 5 career starts against the Pirates. He has a 1.57 ERA in those starts, including a 4 hit shutout this year.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.