Future Alignment Discussion

FC

There seems to be a number of different alignment issues facing the KHSAA, many of which are discussed in other threads. These include schools and topics such as:

- McCracken County Consolidation

- South Warren/Greenwood

- Shelby County

- Enrollment increases/decreases

- Overall class/district changes

Are we on the verge of another major change to football classifications? Does anyone know when these topics will be discussed by the KHSAA?

Just looking at Region 1, there are a number of changes that will affect at least 3 of the 6 classes significantly.

I suspect the current 6-class system will remain in effect during the next cycle. There has been a great deal of talk about a "Super Class" holding only the 16 +/- largest teams, but I can't imagine only 14 schools will be happy being left with Trinity and St. Xavier. In my opinion, I believe there will be a push for 6-classes, but even in numbers. Including South Warren and Collins, but not McCracken County and Thomas Nelson (just because I don't know official open dates), there should be 222 teams in Kentucky. Dividing that by 6 would mean 37 teams per class.

Now what I think could be different in this next cycle is the elimination of "playing-up." Highlands has always been the test-case for playing up since they have typically chosen to play higher because there were more northern Kentucky schools in the higher classes. But with districts now including only four or five teams and Covington Catholic and Holmes both having similar enrollments, I could see all three of them playing in their proper class. The most recent figures are 2009-10 enrollments and the assumption is that the KHSAA would use 09-10 and 10-11 average enrollments. By using numbers such as these, Highlands (and Covington Catholic and Holmes) would likely be in Class 4A, along with schools such as Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Lone Oak, Collins, Shelby County, and Johnson Central.

Linked is the enrollment reports from 2009-10:

http://www.khsaa.org/reports/enrollments/20092010schoolenrollmenttotalsbyenroll.pdf

Not this year, but I'm guessing whenever they reclass the Falcons will move up considering that a large number of new housing units have been or are being built on post.

If Highlands played in their class, their playoffs would be a joke. I know having a big ugly monster usually ratchets up everyones play but I think their athletes would just be too much for the other schools their size. They dominate playing up as it is.

If Highlands plays in their respective district for 3A (as originally outlined before they moved up) they would be in with Western Hills and company. They could win as many titles as they wanted in 3A without much say from anybody.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule 13

I personally think 5 classes is the perfect #. Even then, I'd limit the 5a(biggest class) to the top 32 teams and the smallest class to the smallest 32...That would leave approx 52 teams per class in the 2a, 3a and 4a divisions, with a minimum of 6 teams in each district, but, no more than 7. This would give the smallest schools a better shot to compete for a title..

I personally think 5 classes is the perfect #. Even then, I'd limit the 5a(biggest class) to the top 32 teams and the smallest class to the smallest 32...That would leave approx 52 teams per class in the 2a, 3a and 4a divisions, with a minimum of 6 teams in each district, but, no more than 7. This would give the smallest schools a better shot to compete for a title..

According to the recent article that Rockmom just posted the KHSAA is not going to look at reclassification. With six classes, I can see some major changes in the next few years. For example just in district 2-1 & 2-1 if Heath, Reidland and Lone Oak combine and Fort Campbell moves up that leaves six teams for two districts in 2A. Plus with Lone Oak out of District 4-1 that leaves only two teams in that district. I'm guessing that they will change the enrolment cutoff for the classes to make them even and maybe Mayfield or Crittenden Co will move up to 2A, but either way it could be interesting to see how things play out.