Somebody PLEASE take care of Meinken Field

I'm not trying to call anyone out here as I have no idea who is responsible for Meinken Field, but that infield needs serious attention. My son's summer team just finished a game there tonight, and it was hands-down the worst infield he's played on since the beginning of this year's high school season.

The roughness of the infield directly affected the outcome of the game leading to at least 3 runs scored, and worse yet, one injury.

In my opinion, it's not fair to ask kids to play serious baseball on a field in that condition.

I appologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse here. I haven't been around the baseball board in a while.

I don't think it's been talked about too much but I don't think there's a sane soul that would disagree with you here.

I will say this though, many teams don't really tend to their field in the off-season so right now it may not be taken care of by the high schools since their seasons are over. However, even during the season it is rough.

I remember when my son played there for the NKY Junior All-Star game there in 2007. Apparently in order to get ready for the game, they just "dumped" dirt on the field. So when they when the players went to play, they were literally digging out all the dirt at home plate and at the pitchers mound because there was no solid ground to stand on. My son and many other players said it was like climbing out of a hill at home plate after an at-bat because they had to dig out so much dirt to get some solid ground to swing. Very, very poor conditions.

Actually, it is the city of Covington Parks and Recreation that takes care of the field...not Holmes or Holy Cross.

While both schools will generally do some "maintenance" after games here and there, it is the city who does all the work.

If you want to blame anyone or get in touch with anyone about the conditions, it would be the City of Covington's parks and recreation department.

I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse here. I haven't been around the baseball board in a while.

Not to worry and if you think it is bad to play your summer league game on, how would you like to have to play on that field, to play your KHSAA district HS tourney on not just once but twice due to HC and Holmes sharing the field!

As bad as the infield is, the outfield which resembles a British open Golf course (with all the bunkers) is worse IMO!

Neither school bought the field. I wish they could! The city of Cov. owns and maintains Meinken, which is a joke. It's been that way for years. It's very embarassing for both schools to host games there, especially the district tournament. They had an old school bus sitting there for years which looked like a prison bus. It was finally moved this year. It took them two years to build the little concession building and it's STILL not open. The scoreboard hasn't worked for years.

I can't speak for Holmes, but I guarantee you if HC could oversee the field, it would be a great place to play baseball. HC was able to do this at the old Rosedale Park and now have one of the finest grass soccer fields in the area on the same ground that was the old Bill Cappel ball fields.

Neither school bought the field. I wish they could! The city of Cov. owns and maintains Meinken, which is a joke. It's been that way for years. It's very embarassing for both schools to host games there, especially the district tournament. They had an old school bus sitting there for years which looked like a prison bus. It was finally moved this year. It took them two years to build the little concession building and it's STILL not open. The scoreboard hasn't worked for years.

I can't speak for Holmes, but I guarantee you if HC could oversee the field, it would be a great place to play baseball. HC was able to do this at the old Rosedale Park and now have one of the finest grass soccer fields in the area on the same ground that was the old Bill Cappel ball fields.

I'm sure that the City of Covington wouldn't object to Holy Cross maintaining the field...

Yes, they wouldn't object if every entity that uses the field now could still use it. That's the problem. HC wants to be able to control who uses the field if they pour all the time and money into it. Covington can't go along with that since Holmes, knothole, Holy Name, etc.,etc. have to use the field. I don't know if they can ever work it out or not, but I wish they could. It works great at Rosedale park.

Are none of the FOPA fields "high school" ready??

Field #5 has a mound etc. but honestly, I think Meinken is better than Cappel/FOPA #5.

I believe both Holmes and Holy Cross JV teams use this field for games if they have a game scheduled the same day the varsity is scheduled at Meinken.

Also, that drop-off behind second base needs some attention. Actually, the field itself needs a total rehab. Covington should seriously consider replacing the playing surface like Florence did with Champion Window field.