Governor Jan Brewer's Message For President Obama

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with the premise that the government needs to do more to control illegal immigration. I don't think there are many people that do. There are a lot of us that disagree when it comes to whether what that governor and the state legislature have done is the way we should go about it. "Where are your papers, comrade?" isn't a question you should have to answer in this country.

The problem is that the only thing that many want done is to round up all 9 million (or so, I don't really know the latest estimate) illegal immigrants and put them on buses and send them back. To some, anything else is amnesty. This just isn't feasible. Too bad that evidently I am the only American to support GWB's immigration plan.

Guest Bluto
"Where are your papers, comrade?" isn't a question you should have to answer in this country.

Don't be absurd.

We have to show our "papers" often: social security card, green card, visa, drivers license, etc.

Do you have a problem with those, too?

The problem is that the only thing that many want done is to round up all 9 million (or so, I don't really know the latest estimate) illegal immigrants and put them on buses and send them back. To some, anything else is amnesty. This just isn't feasible. Too bad that evidently I am the only American to support GWB's immigration plan.
Everyone (with a brain) knows that's impossible, as you know.

Don't be absurd.

We have to show our "papers" often: social security card, green card, visa, drivers license, etc.

Some are beginning to think the hyperbole from Obama, the media and the left-wing is reality. As if all Hispanics are being lined up and asked for "their papers". :rolleyes:

If the absurdity wasn't so sad it would actually be funny.

Don't be absurd.

I don't have a problem with having to show certain identification when it is called for and you took my absurd example and added your own hyperbole. I do think this law is unnecessarily vague to a degree that makes its enforcement very difficult and puts officers in a tough position that could open them up to violation of civil rights lawsuits.

Some are beginning to think the hyperbole from Obama, the media and the left-wing is reality. As if all Hispanics are being lined up and asked for "their papers". :rolleyes:

If the absurdity wasn't so sad it would actually be funny.

I like that. When I say something, it's because I've been listening to Obama. Thank goodness, the last thing in the world I'd want to be accused of is free-thinking. Because we all know how well free-thinking and independent thought are regarded when the Republicans are running things...

I don't have a problem with having to show certain identification when it is called for and you took my absurd example and added your own hyperbole. I do think this law is unnecessarily vague to a degree that makes its enforcement very difficult and puts officers in a tough position that could open them up to violation of civil rights lawsuits.

As I posted in the other thread, the Sheriff of Phoenix that has had a lot of problems and he has had a lot of success says the law is no different than what police can presently do.

His police officers stop people for minor traffic violations and ask for their proof of citizenship.

I'm sorry, there's just no way you can convince me that this particular aspect of the law is a good idea. I definitely support the provisions having to do with levying fines against those who hire illegal immigrants. And I'm not opposed to checking someone's residency status when they're under arrest for something else. It's the concept of "reasonable suspicion" that I don't care for. Legally, I simply feel it's sort of an untenable standard that will make life difficult for peace officers, judges and those feeling the force of the law (American citizens and those permitted to work here are what I mean).

As I posted in the other thread, the Sheriff of Phoenix that has had a lot of problems and he has had a lot of success says the law is no different than what police can presently do.

His police officers stop people for minor traffic violations and ask for their proof of citizenship.

I've asked this in multiple threads now, but here goes again. If this is true, why was the governor so insistent that the new law was needed?

The Governor of Arizona has a major problem in her state so she blames it on the President and asks Washington to fix it. That is the Arizona border too, right? I am not knowledgeable on what steps Arizona is taking beyond this ID law to control their border. What is the Governor of Arizona doing about the problem besides spending money on commercials to try and pass the blame?

The Governor of Arizona has a major problem in her state so she blames it on the President and asks Washington to fix it. That is the Arizona border too, right? I am not knowledgeable on what steps Arizona is taking beyond this ID law to control their border. What is the Governor of Arizona doing about the problem besides spending money on commercials to try and pass the blame?

I think their governor is calling out the fact that our President made light of the action that their state is trying to take to fix the problem by using it as a punch line in a speech, especially when illegal immigration should be a problem to be fixed at the Federal level. Quite simply, the statement simply told the President to quit making jokes and start doing his job. It seems very understandable to me.

I like that. When I say something, it's because I've been listening to Obama. Thank goodness, the last thing in the world I'd want to be accused of is free-thinking. Because we all know how well free-thinking and independent thought are regarded when the Republicans are running things...
Sorry, but when you make comments that are simply Dem talking points I don't know what else I'm supposed to think.

"Where are your papers, comrade?" isn't a question you should have to answer in this country.[/Quote]

Definitely a Dem taking point.