Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby to Oregon?

Featured Replies

Saw on ESPN Oregon had maybe made an offer to Tubby but Minn. officials knew nothing about it? Anyone have any updates or info?

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon has extended an offer, Tubby has talked to the AD at Minnesota who per one of the talking heads on ESPN radio yesterday seemed to indicate that the AD was pretty confident that Tubby would be staying. It will be interesting.

Honestly, it would be a good hire for Oregon.

 

He will rebuild the roster with enough talent to consistently get them to the tourney out of a not so good Pac-10, something that Kent couldn't do, even though he went to 2 Elite Eights.

I do know that Tubby is very happy in Minn. He gets to see all of his old players when they come in to play the Timberwolves and they love him up there. Its gotta be nice for him to be at a place that isn't supposed to win the title every year.

Wish Tubby the best wherever he is. Tough decision. More money, probably a better chance to consistently threaten for conference titles at Oregon. Probably less pressure and he seems happy at Minnesota. May depend on where he and Ms. Smith want to live as retirement nears.

yeah Oregon will get a great coach and a relentless superb recruiter. Better get plenty of fuel for the plane so Tubby can go to all of the AAU games. I wonder if Saul takes over Minn or goes to become a duck.

Wish Tubby the best wherever he is. Tough decision. More money, probably a better chance to consistently threaten for conference titles at Oregon. Probably less pressure and he seems happy at Minnesota. May depend on where he and Ms. Smith want to live as retirement nears.

 

:thumb: I think there would be more pressure in Oregon, but can't say for sure. Pac 10 is down, although the only 2 teams they got in exceeded what I thought they would do. Weather is a little nicer, beautiful area. Tough decision. You know that with the Nike connection that money will not be the issue.

yeah Oregon will get a great coach and a relentless superb recruiter. Better get plenty of fuel for the plane so Tubby can go to all of the AAU games. I wonder if Saul takes over Minn or goes to become a duck.

 

Tubby is very good at taking over a down in the dumps program and getting them back to the tourney. What he did at UGA and at Minnesota are good examples of that. Saul's not ready to be a head coach especially at the D1 level IMHO.

 

Oregon's program would get better under Tubby, I have no doubt. And I always ask myself this question about a coach "Would I want my son to play for him?" On Tubby, the answer is absolutely YES.

yeah Oregon will get a great coach and a relentless superb recruiter. Better get plenty of fuel for the plane so Tubby can go to all of the AAU games. I wonder if Saul takes over Minn or goes to become a duck.

 

Seriously, what is your deal with Tubby? Are you so engulfed with UK basketball, that after 3 years, you can't let it get?

 

It's sad that people take a stupid game like basketball so seriously that they have actual hatred or bitterness towards players or coaches. Incredibly sad.

Maybe the Tubster is leveraging the Oregon "offer" for a better contract with the Gophers.

I listened to someone yesterday afternoon on one of the sports talk radio channels on XM that made a good point. Phil Knight has been so good to some of these coaches over the years, that it would be very disrespectful to at least not listen to what he has to say and if they don't take it, most would want to make sure they don't lose their Nike perks.

I listened to someone yesterday afternoon on one of the sports talk radio channels on XM that made a good point. Phil Knight has been so good to some of these coaches over the years, that it would be very disrespectful to at least not listen to what he has to say and if they don't take it, most would want to make sure they don't lose their Nike perks.

 

I had not thought about that, but it makes sense.

 

I am somewhat of an Oregon fan (casual at best), but would honestly like to see Tubby go there as I do like him. I am not sure if it will happen, but it is a nice place, ... if you can deal with a constant mist of rain for what seems like the majority of the year. But it does keep everything nice and green!!

Seriously, what is your deal with Tubby? Are you so engulfed with UK basketball, that after 3 years, you can't let it get?

 

It's sad that people take a stupid game like basketball so seriously that they have actual hatred or bitterness towards players or coaches. Incredibly sad.

 

I am taking it as you are a Tubby fan. Well as I see it I am only saying good stuff about Tubby Smith. He did go watch AAU games and recruited some good players. And by the way I can feel anyway I wish and dislike anyone I wish for whatever reason I wish. If someone comes in a ruins my team and lets it slip to mediocracy due to being lazy then I have the right as a fan to think and feel anyway I wish too.

If that means hurting a persons feelings who like him, then so be it.

I DO NOT HATE TUBBY. I feel he had as much class as anyone ever at UK, but took the fans for granted and tried to coast his way through toward the end. Plus the lame excuse of Wayne Turner having asthma so Saul could get minuets is a LIE.

I am taking it as you are a Tubby fan. Well as I see it I am only saying good stuff about Tubby Smith. He did go watch AAU games and recruited some good players. And by the way I can feel anyway I wish and dislike anyone I wish for whatever reason I wish. If someone comes in a ruins my team and lets it slip to mediocracy due to being lazy then I have the right as a fan to think and feel anyway I wish too.

If that means hurting a persons feelings who like him, then so be it.

I DO NOT HATE TUBBY. I feel he had as much class as anyone ever at UK, but took the fans for granted and tried to coast his way through toward the end. Plus the lame excuse of Wayne Turner having asthma so Saul could get minuets is a LIE.

 

If you are going to argue a point, at least get the facts straight. Wayne Turner was a starter for Tubby. Turner did NOT have asthma. You are thinking of Cliff Hawkins who came in later. Hawkins had severe documented asthma, but got more and more PT as he got it more under control. You could see it when he was on the court early in his career, he would run out of wind very quickly. I hate to revisit this, but facts are facts. There were NO PGs coming to UK. Pitino couldn't get one as everyone knew that it was Turner's show to run and opposing coaches used that in the recruitment process against Pitino (nature of the beast). When Saul came with Tubby, opposing coaches used the fact that he was the coaches son against Tubby in recruiting (and there is nothing wrong with that) and it took him a few years to get a PG like Hawkins to come to UK. There was no other PG on the roster besides Turner and Saul was forced into that role.

 

The facts are that Tubby did a very good job at UK for 8 years, but the last two, struggled to get the buy in of the all american kids (Morris, Crawford, Rondo). He was better with the lower rated players who had big hearts and a love for the game (Hayes, Daniels, Prince, etc). Had some bad luck with some other highly touted players (Parker & Carruth come to mind) that didn't pan out at UK or anywhere else either. But he was burned out the final 2 years and he needed a change. The move was good for UK and for Tubby. Like Pitino said before, the UK job is one of those jobs that 7 years is about all you can take because of the pressure that comes with it.

I am taking it as you are a Tubby fan. Well as I see it I am only saying good stuff about Tubby Smith. He did go watch AAU games and recruited some good players. And by the way I can feel anyway I wish and dislike anyone I wish for whatever reason I wish. If someone comes in a ruins my team and lets it slip to mediocracy due to being lazy then I have the right as a fan to think and feel anyway I wish too.

If that means hurting a persons feelings who like him, then so be it.

I DO NOT HATE TUBBY. I feel he had as much class as anyone ever at UK, but took the fans for granted and tried to coast his way through toward the end. Plus the lame excuse of Wayne Turner having asthma so Saul could get minuets is a LIE.

 

You can feel however you wish. It just gets incredibly tiring when anytime Tubby is mentioned, even without regards to his time at UK, you make some smart remark.

 

I am a Tubby fan, because he was treated IMO with zero respect by UK fans. Maybe it's because he was following a guy who could do no wrong here, but he was never given a fair shake by fans IMO.

 

It wasn't Wayne Turner, if memory serves me correctly, it was Cliff Hawkins who had asthma, and that is 100% fact.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.