March 29, 201016 yr Author Obviously you aren't going to turn down elite talent if they're willing to come year in and year out. But that won't always be the case. Talent doesn't always beat out experience, which was proved Saturday night in the UK-WVU game. If you look at the most successful programs, it's the programs who have kids who are staying 3 and 4 years. Duke, Kansas, and Michigan St are all prime examples. Sure, they have a one and done here and there, but overall those teams rely on experience and players that learn the system. Having one and done players sets your program back whether some of you want to realize it or not. The one year with John Wall was awesome but wouldn't you rather have a pg or big man that is contribute 4 years instead of one? I'll take a Da'Sean Butler or Evan Turner over a John Wall or Demarcus Cousins any day. Why? Because they're program builders. Obviously with this site being primarily UK fans, my opinion will be one of the minority.
March 29, 201016 yr Obviously you aren't going to turn down elite talent if they're willing to come year in and year out. But that won't always be the case. Talent doesn't always beat out experience, which was proved Saturday night in the UK-WVU game. If you look at the most successful programs, it's the programs who have kids who are staying 3 and 4 years. Duke, Kansas, and Michigan St are all prime examples. Sure, they have a one and done here and there, but overall those teams rely on experience and players that learn the system. Having one and done players sets your program back whether some of you want to realize it or not. The one year with John Wall was awesome but wouldn't you rather have a pg or big man that is contribute 4 years instead of one? I'll take a Da'Sean Butler or Evan Turner over a John Wall or Demarcus Cousins any day. Why? Because they're program builders. Obviously with this site being primarily UK fans, my opinion will be one of the minority. I'll take one and done talents any day of the week. You never go what you getting with 4 year players, just look at some of Tubby's and BCG. Wall and Big Cuz 1st team All Americans some 4 year players are lucky to get 1st Team on their Conference Team.
March 29, 201016 yr Author I'll take one and done talents any day of the week. You never go what you getting with 4 year players, just look at some of Tubby's and BCG. Wall and Big Cuz 1st team All Americans some 4 year players are lucky to get 1st Team on their Conference Team. How often has a team won a national championship with 2 and 3 freshmen starting? Answer that, and you'll see why I think it's more important to recruit kids that will be around atleast until their junior year. The Fab Five couldn't even get it done and that was one of the best recruiting classes ever. And Tubby was a very successful coach that recruited good talent. He's put several guys in the NBA so that argument doesn't hold much water.
March 29, 201016 yr How often has a team won a national championship with 2 and 3 freshmen starting? Answer that, and you'll see why I think it's more important to recruit kids that will be around atleast until their junior year. The Fab Five couldn't even get it done and that was one of the best recruiting classes ever. Like some have said in this thread all of his players that he gets at UK won't be 1 and done. Bottom line is UK lost, if we had won the National Championship none of this would have been talked about. I like what Cal brings to UK, UK played their worst game of the season and lost by 7. UK played awful and WV shot lights out.
March 29, 201016 yr This was Cal's FIRST YEAR as the headman of the Cats. I dont think you can call that a "trend". He hit the perfect storm with Wall/Cousins. Those 2 were GREAT. I dont think any coach in America would have turned those 2 down if they wanted to go to the same school. Now you look at Bledsoe. Who, at the beginning of the year labeled Bledsoe as a "1 and done". Not many. So how can it look bad on Cal that he turned Bledsoe into such a great player that he became a "1 and done" type player?? I will love this team as much, if not more, as any other team in my lifetime. It was astounding watching them grow up and learn to play together. I wouldnt trade it for anything. It was one heckuva ride.
March 29, 201016 yr Like some have said in this thread all of his players that he gets at UK won't be 1 and done. Bottom line is UK lost, if we had won the National Championship none of this would have been talked about. I like what Cal brings to UK, UK played their worst game of the season and lost by 7. UK played awful and WV shot lights out. Exactly. OP hasn't mentioned Dodson, Hood, and Orton, who will most likely not be going to the NBA this season. Orton may go, but it is not likely. And if he does, can you blame him?
March 29, 201016 yr Author This was Cal's FIRST YEAR as the headman of the Cats. I dont think you can call that a "trend". He hit the perfect storm with Wall/Cousins. Those 2 were GREAT. I dont think any coach in America would have turned those 2 down if they wanted to go to the same school. Now you look at Bledsoe. Who, at the beginning of the year labeled Bledsoe as a "1 and done". Not many. So how can it look bad on Cal that he turned Bledsoe into such a great player that he became a "1 and done" type player?? I will love this team as much, if not more, as any other team in my lifetime. It was astounding watching them grow up and learn to play together. I wouldnt trade it for anything. It was one heckuva ride. I wouldn't attribute too much of his success to Cal. He helped mature him, but those who followed Bledsoe in high school knew he had that type of potential. UK fans and others simply hyped up John Wall which overshadowed Eric. Coming out of high school, several analysts thought Bledsoe was probably the more fundamentally sound pg between the two. He simply lacked the quickness and explosion of Wall.
March 29, 201016 yr I wouldn't attribute too much of his success to Cal. He helped mature him, but those who followed Bledsoe in high school knew he had that type of potential. UK fans and others simply hyped up John Wall which overshadowed Eric. Coming out of high school, several analysts thought Bledsoe was probably the more fundamentally sound pg between the two. He simply lacked the quickness and explosion of Wall. Can you show me that? Also, Cal turned him into a 2 guard...and he still turned into a "1 and done". Thats amazing to me.
March 29, 201016 yr Author P Doc is a blowhard clown. Worrying about his views on sports is pointless... I definetly agree as I don't really like reading his stuff, but just found the questions interesting which is why I posted.
March 29, 201016 yr I'm certainly not questioning Cal's methods. The man is a proven winner and just single handedly turned around UK's program in one year. But when does having to replace a John Wall or Demarcus Cousins year in and year out finally catch up to your program? Cal is a good recruiter but he's not going to be able to get players like that every year. Nobody is, that is why you take these types of kids if / when you can get them. North Carolina was not very good this year, put John Wall in the lineup instead of Larry Drew and IMO you have a much different season.
March 29, 201016 yr I am, as most of you know a person who pushes academics but these young men are going to be making more money than I could ever dream about making in my lifetime. Would anyone question a young freshmen from UK if he got a offer from a company like P&G or IBM who offers that young frosh a ton of money? Of course not, most would tell the kid to take the money. Well that is what these young men are doing. With the changes going on in the NBA Wall, Cousins and Patterson have a chance to earn enough money to have financial security for the rest of there lives, if they handle the money properly! I for one enjoyed the UK basketball season this year and can only wish these young men the best, anyone who complains about them leaving is being silly as they would be doing the same thing if given the chance!
March 29, 201016 yr I am, as most of you know a person who pushes academics but these young men are going to be making more money than I could ever dream about making in my lifetime. Would anyone question a young freshmen from UK if he got a offer from a company like P&G or IBM who offers that young frosh a ton of money? Of course not, most would tell the kid to take the money. Well that is what these young men are doing. With the changes going on in the NBA Wall, Cousins and Patterson have a chance to earn enough money to have financial security for the rest of there lives, if they handle the money properly! I for one enjoyed the UK basketball season this year and can only wish these young men the best, anyone who complains about them leaving is being silly as they would be doing the same thing if given the chance! I think the difference here is basketball is something that after 15 years, you're done. Unlike a job with IBM in which you're hired based on your education more so than your talents and can be a long-standing job. That said, if the money is there, the kids should take it. Most NBA players are wise with their money, but obviously there are some that aren't. It's not every day that you're offered a multi-million dollar contract to play a game.
March 29, 201016 yr I think the difference here is basketball is something that after 15 years, you're done. Unlike a job with IBM in which you're hired based on your education more so than your talents and can be a long-standing job. That said, if the money is there, the kids should take it. Most NBA players are wise with their money, but obviously there are some that aren't. It's not every day that you're offered a multi-million dollar contract to play a game. The NBA is also a company that offers a pension and enough money and publicity to excel in virtually anything after your career is over.
March 29, 201016 yr The NBA is also a company that offers a pension and enough money and publicity to excel in virtually anything after your career is over. If you're a legit player with some tenure, correct? If these players bomb in the NBA, I don't see that happening.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.