Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Way It Should Have Went

Featured Replies

Because the rule in place is only for 1-4 seeds in each bracket--they aren't supposed to meet before the Elite 8. Otherwise teams from the same conference aren't supposed to be slotted to meet before the Sweet 16.

 

 

Teams from the same conference aren't supposed to meet until a regional final I though.

  • Author
Because the rule in place is only for 1-4 seeds in each bracket--they aren't supposed to meet before the Elite 8. Otherwise teams from the same conference aren't supposed to be slotted to meet before the Sweet 16.

 

I realize that. However, as I've said, 1) I simply just went by rankings, and 2) it's not set in stone. If the BEast had gotten 9 teams in, obviously they would have been had to play before the Elite 8.

 

As it is, Marquette is the 6 in the East with West Virginia (the 2), so they'd play before the Elite 8, same goes for Nova and ND....

Teams from the same conference aren't supposed to meet until a regional final I though.

 

Only if they are seeded 1-4 in a region. They generally try not to schedule it otherwise but with 5 teams seeded in the top 4 and 8 teams in overall it meant that one Big East team would have had to have been in each 8 team pod.

  • Author
Teams from the same conference aren't supposed to meet until a regional final I though.

 

Bingo. Obviously that didn't happen this year. SO, if that rule is allowed to be broken, why couldn't this one be.

 

Either way, as I said, I was merely ranking the teams 1-16 and putting it together based off that. Why CC and AJG can't get that, I don't know...:idunno:

  • Author
Only if they are seeded 1-4 in a region. They generally try not to schedule it otherwise but with 5 teams seeded in the top 4 and 8 teams in overall it meant that one Big East team would have had to have been in each 8 team pod.

 

And yet there's two....:idunno:

I realize that. However, as I've said, 1) I simply just went by rankings, and 2) it's not set in stone. If the BEast had gotten 9 teams in, obviously they would have been had to play before the Elite 8.

 

As it is, Marquette is the 6 in the East with West Virginia (the 2), so they'd play before the Elite 8, same goes for Nova and ND....

 

No, it is set in stone as far as the rules go right now. Teams from the same conference seeded 1-4 in the Tourney cannot meet before the Elite 8 and no teams from the same conference can meet before the Sweet 16. West Virginia can meet Marquette in the Sweet 16 as can Notre Dame and Villanova because both Marquette and Notre Dame fall outside of the top 4 in seeding for their regions.

 

That is why they don't simply go by the #1 overall seed gets placed in a bracket with the weakest #2 seed and so forth.

And yet there's two....:idunno:

 

You're just not getting the rule. It only applies to the top 4 seeds in each region. Teams from the same conference that are seeded in the Top 4 cannot meet before the Elite 8. Beyond that no teams from the same conference can meet before the Sweet 16

 

The only exception to the rule is if a couple of conferences dominate the seeding so much that it is impossible to completely seperate them until the Elite 8. The rule isn't one that is just followed if convenient.

 

Either way, as I said, I was merely ranking the teams 1-16 and putting it together based off that. Why CC and AJG can't get that, I don't know...:idunno:

 

I understand what you did. I also understand that the same conference will never get the top 3 seeds in the same region. Which means that your rankings (which are pretty good, BTW) are not "how it should have been."

Let's assume the top 16 teams were given the 1-4 seeds in each region. Let's also assume the #1 seeds are where they should be. If the selection committee had a brain, what do you think the brackets would have looked like.

 

Here's my rankings:

1) Kansas

2) Kentucky

3) Duke

4) Syracuse

5) West Virginia

6) Ohio State

7) Kansas State

8) Georgetown

9) Baylor

10) Villanova

11) New Mexico

12) Pittsburgh

13) Vanderbilt

14) Maryland

15) Wisconsin

16) Purdue

 

With those rankings the regions should have looked like this:

 

Midwest

1) Kansas

2) Georgetown

3) Baylor

4) Purdue

 

East

1) Kentucky

2) Kansas State

3) Villanova

4) Wisconsin

 

South

1) Duke

2) Ohio State

3) New Mexico

4) Maryland

 

West

1) Syracuse

2) West Virginia

3) Pittsburgh

4) Vanderbilt

 

What does this mean? Nothing really, but KU would have the easiest roads which is they way it should be for the top #1 seed.

I would take that as well.

Teams from the same conference aren't supposed to meet until a regional final I though.

 

I think it's the Sweet 16. 2003 Pitt played Marquette in the Sweet 16. That's the first example that came to mind for me. :thumb:

Teams from the same conference aren't supposed to meet until a regional final I though.

 

That used to be the rule and it still is, sort of. The NCAA altered that rule when the Big East went to 16 teams. They still attempt to avoid a conference pairing until the Elite 8, but now they have wiggle room to match teams up in the Sweet 16 if necessary.

That used to be the rule and it still is, sort of. The NCAA altered that rule when the Big East went to 16 teams. They still attempt to avoid a conference pairing until the Elite 8, but now they have wiggle room to match teams up in the Sweet 16 if necessary.

 

And they will not set up teams from the same conference seeded 1-4 in a region to meet before the regional finals. They will allow a team seeded 1-4 to meet a team from the same conference that is seeded 5-16 in the Sweet 16.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.