Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott County 62 Rockcastle County 59

Featured Replies

Scott County beat Boone on last second shot. Rock should have been afforded the same chance. Bad call.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.

 

For one thing, they let one of the Rock girls stay in the game for an SC FT after picking up her fifth foul; she came out in between the first and second.

 

 

 

Did the scorekeeper alert the officials prior to the free throws that the foul was the 5th on the player ?

My whole point is it shouldn't have been left to the officials' discretion, and by them running off the court, it was.

 

Whose discretion should it have been if not the officials?

I watched the entire tourney and there were several poorly officiated games. I'm not talking about fouls, but more like travels, double dribbles, and my favorite was when the ref allowed a player to catch and shoot when there was only 0.3 seconds left in the third quarter of the Clark County/Ohio County game. If these refs are the best from there respected regions, then I'm glad I don't travel south too often.

 

I was standing right behind the rock basket today. The lady ref actually blew her whistle and pointed in a direction prior to the red light coming on. It would have been more like one second or maybe even 0.7. Not more than a second, still time was remaining.

 

Did someone throw something at the refs? There was an announcement as the refs were leaving and then someone brought a mop to the tunnel.

Jim Schue, are you staying for the final game tonight?

 

Yeah, I was there. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, as I only had a few minutes at the bar for BGP before having to head out to another event.

Its my understanding that for the finals the officials are wearing a device that automatically stops the clock when the whistle blows. Maybe it malfunctioned and didn't stop the clock on the whistle.

 

If so, the only way the officials can put time back on the clock is with "definite knowledge" which means they can't estimate. I'm not saying that one of them shouldn't have looked up immediately at the whistle to check the clock. Maybe they just assumed it was going to stop because of the device.

 

I'm almost sure they had them on for the SF game. I haven't looked at my photos yet, but there's bound to be one or two in there that confirms my suspicion.

Did the scorekeeper alert the officials prior to the free throws that the foul was the 5th on the player ?

 

Well, it was announced over the loudspeaker. She came out after the first FT. However, there wasn't the usual long buzzer that you get normally when someone fouls out, so I guess I can give them a bit of a pass.

 

Like a buddy of mine was telling me earlier today, sometimes these events run smooth from start to finish. Other times, everything goes wrong. This week was one of those weeks where it all went wrong.

 

The finals went relatively smooth, however, for what it's worth.

I watched the entire tourney and there were several poorly officiated games. I'm not talking about fouls, but more like travels, double dribbles, and my favorite was when the ref allowed a player to catch and shoot when there was only 0.3 seconds left in the third quarter of the Clark County/Ohio County game. If these refs are the best from there respected regions, then I'm glad I don't travel south too often.

 

I was standing right behind the rock basket today. The lady ref actually blew her whistle and pointed in a direction prior to the red light coming on. It would have been more like one second or maybe even 0.7. Not more than a second, still time was remaining.

 

Did someone throw something at the refs? There was an announcement as the refs were leaving and then someone brought a mop to the tunnel.

 

There was a KHSAA official who went out onto the floor at the end to pick up some things that came from some Rock fans. While I don't condone stuff like that, I can understand their emotions.

I was there and I must say, I'm still not sure what happened. It was, without a doubt, the poorest officiating job I have ever witnessed in my life. It was absolutely heartbreaking for the referees to take over that game and take any chances whatsoever away from the Rockcastle girls. I don't know who those 3 were, but they should have some repercussions.

 

It started out with Sara Hammond picking up two fouls in the 1st quarter on 2 clean blocks. For those of you that don't know her, she is a legit 6'2" and there was nobody on the floor within 5 inches of her. That completely changed Rockcastle's gameplan because she sat on the bench for the rest of the half.

 

Onto the last minute of the game. As was previously said, Rockcastle girls tied up the Scott girl right in front of Rock's bench. The ref right there called a jump ball. All of a sudden, another ref came running from 3/4 of the floor away, saying that SC's coach got a time out. It was pitiful.

 

The last play went like this. Scott missed a FT, up 3, with 8 seconds to go. Rock ran down the floor. Lawrence had the ball, and started to take a shot, and the ball got knocked out of her hands by a Scott player and went out of bounds. I would guess there was a little over a second or so to go. The clock continued to run and the buzzer went off, even though the ball was out of bounds. The refs looked at each other and the female ref made a gesture like "let's go" and they all three RAN to the tunnel. I mean, they absolutely sprinted out of the gym. Rock should have had the ball, under their own basket, with a second or so on the clock. The coaches and teams, as well as all the announcers, seemed stunned and confused. Everyone knew the game wasn't over, but the officials were gone. It looked like someone in a KHSAA vest was going to go and get them for a second, but then he said for the teams to shake hands. It was so bizarre and horrible and I felt so sorry for the Rockcastle girls and coaches.

 

I hate to think that officials have an agenda regarding the outcome of a game, but there was no way not to think so after watching that game. It was such a shame to have adults take it out of the kids' hands. I'm not saying that Rock would have beaten Scott, but this way we will never know. For an event that bills itself "The Greatest Show in Hoops" this sure was a poor showing.

 

One of these guys was the same official that called the "phantom" foul with 6 sec to go to decide the Trinity-Male regional game.

 

This guy needs to re-evaluate why he's an official. It seems to be very apparent it's more about him than the kids:puke:

 

Sorry it had to happen to the Rockcastle kids!

I just watched the game.

 

Let me preface the following with the truth that what you and I see from the stands is not the same thing seen on the floor by the official. Different angles.

 

The first foul on Hammond was an easy call.

 

The second foul on Hammond was a tough call. I'm not saying it was wrong because there was contact but I would not be happy with it if I was a Rock fan.

 

The jump ball call/TO call late in the game, as I suspected, was the result of the SC coach calling a TO when he realized his girl was about to get in trouble. So, it was correct.

 

As to the issue of how much time on the clock at the very end, it appears they got it right.

 

Watch the replay (its at about 1:54:57).

 

http://khsaa.ihigh.com/school23462/broadcast_115679.html

 

Watch the light on the backboard. It goes off right as the whistle blows and the horn goes off at the same time. There is no way an official could put time back on the clock.

 

As to the officials getting off the floor quickly that's what they're supposed to do. Watch the male official who is on the sideline opposite the bench. He hears the horn, signals that time is out, and then his crew gets off of the floor. What were they supposed to do? There would be no justification for putting time back on the clock.

One thing I've learned in recent years is that you can't block a shot in girls basketball these days. It's almost always a foul. Clean or not.

One thing I've learned in recent years is that you can't block a shot in girls basketball these days. It's almost always a foul. Clean or not.

 

Hammond had six against Scott, if I recall correctly.

Who were the officials?

One thing I've learned in recent years is that you can't block a shot in girls basketball these days. It's almost always a foul. Clean or not.

 

MAN!!!! Do I ever agree with that!!! Watch any guys high school game or college game and notice that if they block the ball, the body contact is never called. In a girls game the first thing you hear the ref say.....Coach, she got her with the body......even after the offense initiates the contact.

I just watched the game.

 

As to the issue of how much time on the clock at the very end, it appears they got it right.

 

Watch the replay (its at about 1:54:57).

 

http://khsaa.ihigh.com/school23462/broadcast_115679.html

 

Watch the light on the backboard. It goes off right as the whistle blows and the horn goes off at the same time. There is no way an official could put time back on the clock.

 

 

Clyde, I have to disagree with you I have watched this over and over again, she did not save the ball, her foot was out. And the official blew the whistle and pointed to the floor. They got that one incorrect and it is unfortunate. Everyone who watched that game including the Scott County staff thought there was time remaining.

 

And the push on Alexander was a made up call. It is hard to tell if she touched her at all, but it sure was not a push or foul. That call was a game changer.

 

I still dont agree with the TO who is to say that he had it called before the jump ball, you can't see both in the frame. I don't think he should of over turned it unless he positively new he had the call before the jump. No way he could tell positively.

 

Very poorly officiated game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.