Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region District fairness

Featured Replies

Cov Cath should always have a fairly easy path to the Regional tourney in both basketball and baseball. Holmes is not usually very good in baseball and Beechwood is rarely good in basketball.

 

The path through Beechwood and Holy Cross isn't a cake walk (in baseball), by any stretch. Ultimately, it wouldn't matter all that much which district you put Cov Cath in for baseball. Their history has clearly shown that they will almost always be one of the top teams in the 9th and would advance to region.

  • Replies 57
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are we suggesting each sport should have districts done differently based on competitive nature of the schools for each sport?

 

 

 

Look when I talk small schools I am not talking private schools. I am more speaking of the Ludlow Bellevue Silver Grove Beechwood (falls into this category), etc.................................

 

 

 

 

Well...............classifying all major sports would solve these issues of unfair balances in the districts.

Cov Cath should always have a fairly easy path to the Regional tourney in both basketball and baseball. Holmes is not usually very good in baseball and Beechwood is rarely good in basketball.

 

I'd like to hear what any Indian or Tiger fans have to say about that.:laugh: Let's just say their district opponents respect them more than that. For the sake of this discussion, "even":D if Ryle and CCH cancel each other baseball-wise; I believe that HC and BW have more Regional Championships than Boone and Conner. Bulldog or TOG, can you verify?

So are we suggesting each sport should have districts done differently based on competitive nature of the schools for each sport?

 

Look when I talk small schools I am not talking private schools. I am more speaking of the Ludlow Bellevue Silver Grove Beechwood (falls into this category), etc.................................

 

Well...............classifying all major sports would solve these issues of unfair balances in the districts.

 

If you're not going to have classification, it certainly makes sense to take some of this into consideration, as opposed to basing it solely on geography. There is no justifiable reason to have St. H, Lloyd, Ludlow, and Villa in the same baseball district. Not having classification is absolutely unfair to the smaller schools, since unless they are a Beechwood or NCC-type program, it makes it tough for them to have an opportunity to advance. But it's no less unfair than lumping a bunch of larger schools together and eliminating a team that is clearly one of the top eight teams in the region because only two teams can advance from their district.

I don't know the answer to this, so I'm just asking. Perhaps Bulldog will know. Does it (above bolded) HAVE to be this way? Must the baseball districts exactly mirror the basketball districts?

 

The districts are set for multiple sports for both Boys and Girls competition. Since most schools play basketball in both girls and boys, the districts are set according to those schools by geography. AND, since school size is NOT considered for competitive purposes for basketball, baseball, softball, etc. it cannot be considered when aligning districts. If you want fairness for a district playing with all big schools JUST because it has all big schools, then you have to consider the fairness of a system that puts Silver Grove in the exact same classification as Trinity, Male and Tates Creek in terms of a state championship. No, it's not fair, but nothing about our current non-classified system is. Blame your "purist" "fans" that clammor for the same old Sweet Sixteen for the hesitancy of the KHSAA to classify other sports. That and the fact that someone in Frankfort might have to put pen to paper and find a formula that works. And yes, under the current system, travel is by far the overriding factor and no, it isn't the issue here that it is in other parts of the state. However, if you mandate criteria to one part of the state, you have to do so to the rest of the state in terms of alignment.

If you're not going to have classification, it certainly makes sense to take some of this into consideration, as opposed to basing it solely on geography. There is no justifiable reason to have St. H, Lloyd, Ludlow, and Villa in the same baseball district. Not having classification is absolutely unfair to the smaller schools, since unless they are a Beechwood or NCC-type program, it makes it tough for them to have an opportunity to advance. But it's no less unfair than lumping a bunch of larger schools together and eliminating a team that is clearly one of the top eight teams in the region because only two teams can advance from their district.

 

 

Remember, this alignment is for far more than just baseball. Take into consideration all sports not classified (except Volleyball and Golf) for both boys and girls and see if that changes your view. Maybe, maybe not.

Great posts ! Do you have access to a list of 9th Region Baseball Champs ?

Remember, this alignment is for far more than just baseball. Take into consideration all sports not classified (except Volleyball and Golf) for both boys and girls and see if that changes your view. Maybe, maybe not.

 

Ok, though I probably should have known, I did not realize this affects all other sports (except football obviously). I won't claim to be real knowledgeable on the district alignments of sports other than baseball, basketball, and football. Probably should get myself informed there. I am assuming, however, that that has to be some variance in the districts since not all schools participate in all sports, right? And in such cases, the districts would need to be altered to balance them out? And the only single criteria used is geography, right?

 

How long ago was it that SK and Scott were removed from 9th region?

Great posts ! Do you have access to a list of 9th Region Baseball Champs ?

 

Should be able to get past ten years or so off khssa.org website.

Cov Cath should always have a fairly easy path to the Regional tourney in both basketball and baseball. Holmes is not usually very good in baseball and Beechwood is rarely good in basketball.

 

Sure wish that wasn't true as in 1968 Holmes stopped CovCath back in the day, with then future MLB Atlanta Brave Leo Foster playing for them.

 

Hey JB is it Cooper your feeling sorry for?

 

Funny but I can remmeber when Boone was the only HS in Boone County. It's not anyone else's fault, that the BC BOE doesn't do what BOE of Scott County has done and that is having a mega school.

 

Want to complain? Then complain to the BC BOE about having 4 HS instead of just two.

The first year that SK Scott Campbell Silver Grove and Brossart were moved I believe was the 1996-97 season.

I really don't think there is any fair way to do districts except geography. That being said, I have often wondered how Ludlow avoided being in the same district with Holmes and CCH. Ludlow is probably closer to CCH than any other school. But I am sure there are other similar examples we can throw out there. But back to the point. With all the sports boys and girls affected, geography is the best way to set the districts.

 

As to classification, I would argue that baseball is one of the last sports that you need to worry about classification. Two really good pitchers will make a baseball program competitive. There aren't many sports where one or two players can have as much impact.

I really don't think there is any fair way to do districts except geography. That being said, I have often wondered how Ludlow avoided being in the same district with Holmes and CCH. Ludlow is probably closer to CCH than any other school. But I am sure there are other similar examples we can throw out there. But back to the point. With all the sports boys and girls affected, geography is the best way to set the districts.

 

As to classification, I would argue that baseball is one of the last sports that you need to worry about classification. Two really good pitchers will make a baseball program competitive. There aren't many sports where one or two players can have as much impact.

 

But at the end of the day, when you get to draw from a much larger base, your opportunities to find that special stud pitcher or player are much greater and more likely to happen on a recurring basis. Not an absolute, but in most instances if you get to put together a team - any team - from a school of 1500 kids, it will be stronger than a team formed from a school of 400 kids. Obviously, lots of exceptions, but it's a pretty fair statement.

 

Geography is fine, but it is easy to play with also. It's not like there's always an absolute with geographic lines, especially in an area like NKY. Lots of different ways you could draw up boundaries.

Cov Cath should always have a fairly easy path to the Regional tourney in both basketball and baseball. Holmes is not usually very good in baseball and Beechwood is rarely good in basketball.

 

Last year the 35th District had one of, if not the most talented team in the state (Cov Cath), the region champs (Beechwood), and the All A State Runner-Ups (Holy Cross). No one in the 35th has a "fairly easy path" to region.

  • Author
Sure wish that wasn't true as in 1968 Holmes stopped CovCath back in the day, with then future MLB Atlanta Brave Leo Foster playing for them.

 

Hey JB is it Cooper your feeling sorry for?

 

Funny but I can remmeber when Boone was the only HS in Boone County. It's not anyone else's fault, that the BC BOE doesn't do what BOE of Scott County has done and that is having a mega school.

 

Want to complain? Then complain to the BC BOE about having 4 HS instead of just two.

 

Again Old Fart, I am not complaining and I am not referring to any one school. They do not build high schools in any county to satisfy sports fans and build super teams. Less students per class is better for education. I was just making the point to drum up some good discussion. In the last couple of years the Boone County schools have had to fight it out just to reach Regional play where other schools coast in after a crushing of an inferior opponent. I understand that it could be cyclical, but due to the population of the 6A schools and since I have coached many of the kids that populate these schools, I can say that they are not going away athletically any time soon.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.