Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Myths about Passing

Featured Replies

In high school games officials often hear complaints from coaches, players and fans that do not apply because they confuse college and NFL rules with Federation rules. Here are two of those myths:

 

1. He was outside the box!: Actually the tackle box rule does not apply to high school. A passer cannot simply throw the ball away by getting outside of the starting position of the offensive tackle. This would be intentional grounding. This foul would be 5 yards from the spot of the illegal pass and loss of down. When judging intentional grounding the offical may consider factors such as skill of the passer, but position on the field is not a consideration.

 

2. That ball was uncatchable!: While the pass may not be catchable, that fact does not change the pass interference rules. Two years ago the NFHS did change the rule slightly by adding that the pass must be thrown in the area of the receiver. Area is loosely determined as the right, middle or left side of the field. When determining pass interference, if the ball is thrown into the area of the receiver, then contact could be considered interference. If not thrown in that area, such contact could still be a foul for holding, illegal use of hands or a personal foul for unnecessarily rough contact, but not interference. This is important because interference also carries an automatic first down (defensive) or loss of down (offensive).

In high school games officials often hear complaints from coaches, players and fans that do not apply because they confuse college and NFL rules with Federation rules. Here are two of those myths:

 

1. He was outside the box!: Actually the tackle box rule does not apply to high school. A passer cannot simply throw the ball away by getting outside of the starting position of the offensive tackle. This would be intentional grounding. This foul would be 5 yards from the spot of the illegal pass and loss of down. When judging intentional grounding the offical may consider factors such as skill of the passer, but position on the field is not a consideration.

 

2. That ball was uncatchable!: While the pass may not be catchable, that fact does not change the pass interference rules. Two years ago the NFHS did change the rule slightly by adding that the pass must be thrown in the area of the receiver. Area is loosely determined as the right, middle or left side of the field. When determining pass interference, if the ball is thrown into the area of the receiver, then contact could be considered interference. If not thrown in that area, such contact could still be a foul for holding, illegal use of hands or a personal foul for unnecessarily rough contact, but not interference. This is important because interference also carries an automatic first down (defensive) or loss of down (offensive).

 

 

:thumb:

 

The difference is lost on many coaches/players/fans and I have heard them from the sidelines and stands just going nuts over a legit issue, ... if it were an NFL or collegiate game. It would make it much better if more of the fans understood the differences in what they watch on Friday night from what they see on Saturday and Sunday!

  • Author

That's why officials post on this forum.

One I hear a lot of COACHES miss on is that all Personal Fouls are "automatic first downs." The rule book I've got says only ROUGHING (kicker, holder, passer, or snapper) and FORWARD PASS INTERFERENCE gets an automatic first down.

 

Could that be different in college/NFL? I do think I've heard it a lot in those games at the end of the referee's reporting of the penalty, "...automatic, first down."

I'd love to know your interpretation of how physical a DB can be with a WR if the ball is not in the air and when he has to get his hands off.

  • Author
I'd love to know your interpretation of how physical a DB can be with a WR if the ball is not in the air and when he has to get his hands off.

 

Football is a physical sport. He can be as physical as possible without it being a foul.

Those are some of my favorite things to hear from the stands, you hear them almost every game. Funny stuff.

Football is a physical sport. He can be as physical as possible without it being a foul.

 

I guess a better way to phrase is when does a DB have to get his hands off a WR. I've heard officials say they can do it until the ball is in the air and I've heard they can't impede their route. I'm talking bump and run coverage.

 

The other that I've seen called by some crews and not called by others is the crossing routes over the middle. Some let ILBers hit the crossers and some protect them.

I guess a better way to phrase is when does a DB have to get his hands off a WR. I've heard officials say they can do it until the ball is in the air and I've heard they can't impede their route. I'm talking bump and run coverage.

 

The other that I've seen called by some crews and not called by others is the crossing routes over the middle. Some let ILBers hit the crossers and some protect them.

 

 

 

That is the answer. Depends on what crew you get on what week.:madman::D

Rule says receivers can not be contacted when they are no longer a potential blocker. I have NEVER seen illegal contact called but 100's of times it could have been. If a QB is 7 yards deep in the pocket and a WR is running a fade route 30 yards down field, how can he be a potential blocker?

I had never had it called until this year. It was frustrating becasue this one crew felt like they just wanted to take over the game. It's a physical sport. I like the crews that let them play as long as it's safe.

I had an officiating class in college. The best line I heard was you know you have done a great job when fans don't realize you were there. That is unless a game is out of hand.

One I hear a lot of COACHES miss on is that all Personal Fouls are "automatic first downs." The rule book I've got says only ROUGHING (kicker, holder, passer, or snapper) and FORWARD PASS INTERFERENCE gets an automatic first down.

 

Could that be different in college/NFL? I do think I've heard it a lot in those games at the end of the referee's reporting of the penalty, "...automatic, first down."

 

Coach

 

You make a really good point. I am suprised at times (well maybe not that much) about the lack of rules knowlege among Coaches. Have heard them yell about DPI - when a "uncatchable ball" was involved. ETc..

I don't know many myths about passing but I do know this fact.

 

Only three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad!

 

Run the Ball and you don't have to worry about the passing rules.....just joking.

  • Author

Ok, let's try to stay on topic. Critiquing officials is not appropriate for this thread.

 

Keep in mind that the rules do say when some contact is permitted and when some contact is a foul. Also, understand that not all contact is a foul. Both defender and receiver have a right to be in position to catch the ball and/or prevent the other from doing so. The defender may try to block the receiver to prevent him from getting into his route and thereby take him out of the play. A player lined up as a wide receiver may not be a receiver at all, depending the play called. He may be a blocker for a pitch sweep, or he may be a receiver. Either way, the defender does not know which play is called. But that contact must end once the receiver stops being a potential blocker and tries to be a receiver. Hand checking and incidental contact is not a foul until it becomes restrictive on the oppponent.

 

All this means officials must use judgement, and different officials have different judgements, and that is a fact of life.

  • Author

Pass Interference...

 

RULE 7-5

ART. 7 . . . Pass interference restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone

and only if the legal forward pass, untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone,

crosses the neutral zone.

ART. 8 . . . Pass interference restrictions are in effect for all A and B players

until the ball is touched or the pass is incomplete. Pass interference restrictions

on a legal forward pass begin for:

a. A with the snap.

b. B when the ball leaves the passer’s hand.

ART. 9 . . . Pass interference restrictions on a legal forward pass end for all:

a. A players, when B touches a legal forward pass.

b. Eligible A players when A touches a legal forward pass. Ineligible A players

may not touch the pass, but can use hands or arms in a legal block to ward

off an opponent.

c. B players when a legal forward pass has been touched by A or B.

ART. 10 . . . It is forward-pass interference if:

a. Any player of A or B who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an

eligible opponent’s opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Any player hinders an opponent’s vision without making an attempt to

catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

ART. 11 . . . It is not forward-pass interference if:

a. Unavoidable contact occurs when two or more eligibles are making a

simultaneous, bona fide attempt to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Contact by A is immediately made on a B lineman and the contact does not

continue beyond the expanded neutral zone.

c. Contact by B is obviously away from the direction of the pass.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.