The problem really is just Trinity & Saint X., right?

98NCCalum

Well the answer certainly isn't to kick out the privates, and then kick out the wealthier publics that are now winning everything, and then kick out the slightly above middle class publics that are now winning everything.........

Why does the system have to "work"? How can it ever "work"?

Outside of taking money and volunteer time out of the pockets of the wealthier private/public schools parents and sending it to the not as wealthy non-volunteering areas of the state what can be done?

Please see post #43.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Again private schools are not being kicked out. As class distinctions have been made for A, AA, AAA, and AAAA in cross country, track and football, class distinctions are being made for private and public.

Now if you want to take the position that the schools in A, AA and AAA were kicked out of the AAAA, than your stance is correct. If that is not your claim, than I believe it would be good for you to make truthful statements on what the proposal is doing and not statements to inflame the situation.

RE post 43:

Although I have gone on record as proclaiming Proposal 20 as nothing but a poorly written and lacking in definition Big Bluff............under Prop 20 private schools are being kicked out of the KHSAA as it exist today. Plain and simple.

And I could post the same response.

What happens on the athletic field is not much different that what may happen at the KHSAA delegate assembly. The playing field in passing the proposal is not level. The advantages in numbers lay to the public schools. And those with numbers are more apt to succeed and pass the proposal.

Sorry, life is not fair.

Doesn't feel good to not have the advantages on your side does it? That is how the public schools are feeling.

The poor publics, my heart breaks.

At the end of the day the cream will rise to the top. So if they kick out the privates, if they put some sort of restriction on the independents which somehow changes the way they go about business, no matter what happens, in the end I don't think it will help to give the downtrodden watered down trophies and I don't think it will hurt those it is aimed at near as much as you want to believe.

It think that might be a run on sentence. :banana:

Bottom line is that public schools feel that athletes can "pool" at private schools from neighboring counties that will not happen at a public school. They feel that gives private schools an unfair advantage.

Again I will use the girls bball example of LexCath. From my understanding only one of their top 7-8 last season was FROM Fayette County. I believe most would agree that it is great that those girls' parents want their daughter to get a good education and are concerned about their welfare. It is great that they can attend LexCath.

But I also think that most would agree that those same athletes coming from counties surrounding Fayette County would not have "pooled" at one of the Lex public schools if Lex Cath did not exist.

So Lex Cath has an advantage and a well earned advantage that the public schools do not have. And to ask a public school to compete against something they cannot really accomplish is unfair.

What one must understand too is that Lexington Catholic is the only nearby Catholic school. I do not know the girls that were on the team, nor do I know their religious beliefs. However, I would assume that more than one of them went there either for the religious affiliation or for the education, other than the athletics.

Maybe the Lexington area should just build another private / Catholic school so that not everyone looking for a Catholic / private education has one choice. Is it Lex Cath's fault that they have built up a reputation for academics and athletics? Why should they be kicked out?

What one must understand too is that Lexington Catholic is the only nearby Catholic school. I do not know the girls that were on the team, nor do I know their religious beliefs. However, I would assume that more than one of them went there either for the religious affiliation or for the education, other than the athletics.

Maybe the Lexington area should just build another private / Catholic school so that not everyone looking for a Catholic / private education has one choice. Is it Lex Cath's fault that they have built up a reputation for academics and athletics? Why should they be kicked out?

So to play devil's advocate, did religion and good academics just become important to them when they entered high school?

So to play devil's advocate, did religion and good academics just become important to them when they entered high school?

Good point......or you could play double devil and ask if private grade school kids that go to public high schools have their religion desires lessened at the high school age?

Actually it could be a mixture of things. Maybe some (parents/students) are looking for a more rigid, structured, disicplined form of education at that age or maybe they are looking for exposure in a certain sport.

I firmly do not believe the old "colleges will find you if you're good enough" theory.

Especially in Girls sports where the budget for scouting is limited.

No doubt and I agree. Not sure if this is the answer. Not sure what is, but know the system as is, does not work.

The problem you have is that LIFE doesnt work to the poor public schools advantage. It has nothing to do with public or private. It has everything to do with your public school being poor and not being able to compete with a school that has money/families that care. If you kick out the privates your still going to deal with other public schools that have way more money than your school. You cant level out the playing field by hurting other schools because they have the money that your school doesnt. There is no way to solve that problem. Life isnt fair and there is no way to make life "fair."