Bobby Bowden

CoachBuckett

As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

Couldn't have said it better. :thumb: Attending the 1999 National Championship game was one of the neatest things I ever experienced. Coach B will be sadly missed by this Nole fan.

Bowden was great for the game. He would have been more missed about 5 years ago, but nonetheless, his place in the game will be as a legend and he will always be remembered as one of the great ones. While I am not sad to see him go, I am happy for him and FSU as he went out the way he deserved.

I fell off the FSU waggon but I loved them in high school. Charlie Ward is still one of my favorite college players ever. Marvin Jones, T. Vanover, Amp Lee, Pooh Bear Williams, Brooks, Dunn, Deion the list goes on. I loved them in the 90's especially the early to mid. They made the shotgun in vogue because of Warrick Dunn along with the Shallow Cross that is so popular today.

As I watch a hero of mine growing up coach his last ball game. I think about all of the great teams he produced at FSU. It will be a sad day for college football once this day is over.

No matter if you like him or not you have to say he was good for the game.

I am not an FSU fan but I don't think one has to be to be a Bobby Bowden fan. Bowden built FSU football from nothing, without him there is no FSU football. I was cheering hard for FSU yesterday. What a way for Bowden to go out!

Bobby Bowden is a class act, a Christian and a great leader of young men. I heard him say when ask what he would want to be remembered for .......it wasn't abouit then wins, bowl games, national titles or any records, football. He said that "maybe he had helped his players spiritually and morally, emotional and helped them become men". There are few of that kind left and anyone that has one had better appreciate him and not "ditch" him.

Florida State's administration imo was a disgrace to not let Bowden go out like he wanted to after all that he had done for FSU and college football. JMO

Dad Gum It.......I like Bobby Bowden!! :thumb:

I always liked what he said after the loss to Penn State in a bowl a few years ago when a kicker missed a field goal that would have won the game. He was asked as he and Paterno walked off the field what would be said to the kicker and he said something like, "Nothing, he did the best he could." He was literally arm and arm with Paterno and you could tell those guys had been there before.

:thumb: I remember that.

I think he was a great coach and he indeed changed offensive football to some degree. Let's be honest though in evaluating every part of his program, they have had their fair share of problems off the field. I clean program was not ran down there and that is a fact.
:thumb:

I think he was a great coach and he indeed changed offensive football to some degree. Let's be honest though in evaluating every part of his program, they have had their fair share of problems off the field. I clean program was not ran down there and that is a fact.

Same can be said at many other schools. Every year violations occur and do not make the news.

Same can be said at many other schools. Every year violations occur and do not make the news.

True, but I find it amusing how everyone wants to sanctify Bowden because he is that "aw shucks and dadgum nice guy". The only difference between him and many others that you mention is that FSU was willing to put up with all of the black marks to keep posting top 5 finishes. That is absolutely their perogative, I just find it interesting.

I don't care if it is his last game or not, a 6-6 team playing on New Years Day is a joke.

Is the "New Year's Day" bowl even that big of a deal anymore with the new system in place? All of the big bowls aren't played on that day...heck, the Liberty Bowl is after New Year's Day. The championship game is always about a week later and another one or two of the big BCS bowls are later.

But he's had more than his share, hence the shady label I put on him and deservedly so. That said, I respect your opinion of him, we just disagree and that's OK. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just have never been a fan.