Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green 25 Owensboro 21

Featured Replies

Way to hang in there and pull it out Purples.

 

 

Warren Central lost so it looks like we won't get that rematch.

Sam Howard comes up big with 2 td receptions, long punt return for a TD and caps it off with a late fourth qtr interception to set up final TD. Great kid. Very happy for him!

Sam Howard and Lavance Anderson put the Purples on their shoulders tonight.

I can not tell you how proud I am of the Purples!!! OMG, what a game. I really hated to see either team lose.....it was just one of those games! Like I said in another thread....sometimes all it takes is heart! Believe me when I say that this team is ALL heart....A great bunch of young men with a desire to keep going no matter what.

 

I want to say that Owensboro has nothing to hang their heads over. These young men never gave up...great game you all had...be proud!

 

The Purples now need to celebrate and feel proud....Then, Monday, forget about it and think only of the next game for next Friday.

Way to hang in there and pull it out Purples.

 

 

Warren Central lost so it looks like we won't get that rematch.

 

I obviously would have liked to see Central win, but I can't fully say that I'm upset that Bowling Green won't get that rematch. I don't think that would have ended well.

Bowling Green trailed 21-7 after three quarters

 

Howard's punt return was incredible

I obviously would have liked to see Central win, but I can't fully say that I'm upset that Bowling Green won't get that rematch. I don't think that would have ended well.

 

I don't know how a rematch would have turned out, but the BG team that played tonight was not the same one that played WC earlier.

Congrats to BG. The Purples showed lots of heart, and just flat out took it to OHS in the 4th quarter. Lavance Anderson and Sam Howard carried the Purples tonight. Im still puzzled how Howard caught the TD that got BG back in the game. OHS had double coverage and both guys just flat out lost the ball. Unreal. Great punt return by Howard as well. Like I said in another thread, OHS will never sniff a state title unless coach Prince gets someone that understands how to run a productive offense. OHS looked lost on offense once again tonight. I don't mean to slight BG's awesome defense but OHS has too many athletes not to be more productive. Again, congrats BG and good luck the rest of the way.

I don't know how a rematch would have turned out, but the BG team that played tonight was not the same one that played WC earlier.

And they would have been even less that team next week. I will prefer to be able to think in my mind that WC would have been able to do it again, while knowing they probably couldn't have.

How many times do you get to see two old rivals (50 games or more) play two of the greatest games in the series in the same year and be able to say that your team won both of them? Not only that, but the scores were nearly idendical (26-21 and 25-21)!! And these scores were arrived at by different means (in the first game, the only second half score was a BGHS FG; in this one, all but 14 pts were scored in the second half, and three TDs were scored defensively and by special teams play)! OHS ends their season at 9-3, but two of those losses were at the hands of the Purples.

 

I have had a great time visiting with devils58 and his better half at both games this season. We have both grown from hating each other's schools to having a keen respect and admiration of each, and having pride in this old and intense rivalry. I hope that this is infectious, as this is what high school sports is all about (or should be). I also was lucky enough to tell two of the Red Devil football players to tell their teammates to not hang their heads - they played a super football game and had a great season! After all, I consider myself a goodwill ambassador of Purples Football. It is an attitude that many schools appreciate and a select few do not. But that's okay...that alone makes us winners even if we lose a game!

 

We still trail in the series 38-28-2 that started Armistice Day (Veterans Day) 1932. It is only the third time we swept OHS in a season (1992, 1998, and 2009). Interesting sidenote: we have beaten BOTH OHS and Hopkinsville in the same season nine times since 1932: 1932, 1933, 1935, 1950, 1988, 1994. 1995, 1997, and 2009.

 

With 4:04 left in the first qtr, #99 for OHS scooped up a fumble and ran 15-20 yds for the initial score of the night. #2 booted the PAT, and OHS led 7-0. In the second qtr, SO QB Scooter Hollis threw a 22 yd scoring pass to SR WR Sam Howard. SR K Zach Williams booted the PAT, and the two teams went to the locker room tied at 7-all.

 

In the third qtr, the Red Devils really asserted themselves. With the Purples in possession of the ball deep in OHS territory, #17 intercepted a pass and ran it back long distance for another defensive TD with 9:16 left in the qtr. #2 booted the PAT, and OHS led 14-7. With 2:10 left in the qtr, QB Prince found #10 on a pass play and scored from 32 yards out. #2 knocked through the PAT again, and OHS had what seemed to be an insurmountable 21-7 lead.

 

In the fourth qtr, the Purples got to work on that insurmountable lead. With 9:51 left in the game, Hollis found Howard again on a 29 yd scoring pass. Z. Williams' PAT attempt hit the upright and bounced away, and OHS led 21-13. Then, with 5:59 left to play, Howard set sail on a 70 yd punt return! The pass attempt for a 2pt conversion failed, and OHS still led 21-19. With 2:05 left in the game, SR RB Lavance Anderson ran around right end from three yds out. Again, the pass attempt on the 2pt conversion was no good, but the Purples led for the first time on the night 25-21. L. Anderson put the exclamation point on the comeback with three consecutive sacks of Prince!

 

BGHS's record is now 10-2, and they will travel to the Stadium of Champions in Hopkinsville for a rematch with Christian Co (8-4) after they disposed of Warren Central 13-7 on the strength of a 95 yd kickoff return last night! It would have really packed 'em in at the Big El for a chance to even the score with the Dragons, but the Purples will play who they have to play and where!

 

I asked the guys coming off the field at the half if they have the heart to win this game and move on in the playoffs, and then said that I think they do! Needless to say, they had the heart for sure tonight! I'm really proud of what the guys did tonight, and equally proud of Joe Prince's charges for being such a great adversary twice in the finest tradition of this old rivalry! And I think that Sam Howard has forever endeared himself with the Purples fans and his teammates, current and those of us (yours truly included) who no longer have eligibility! A big rousing twist for all of my boys!!!

 

:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

 

:clap::D

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.