Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengal Cornerbacks

Which Corner Has Been Better This Season 31 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Corner Has Been Better This Season

    • Leon Hall
      38%
      12
    • Jonathan Joseph
      61%
      19

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Joseph has arguably the biggest play of the season for us. I'll vote him for that.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I give you credit I thought it was the 45 just from remembering it. However your little thing about just letting a guy catch the ball, makes me question your knowledge of football. Corners are taught all their lives to try to make a play on the ball. Now your saying well just ignore all your instincts from playing your whole life, and let the ball go over your head even though you can make a play on it? I mean what happens if the safety wasn't in his right position, and Hall just lets him catch it without trying to tip it? The guy just catches it and keeps running. Basically what you are saying a corner should never try to deflect a pass. Even though 99% of the time when a corner deflects a pass, it ends up being incomplete or even intercepted. Basically what you are saying is what should have been going through Hall's head is "oh crap I shouldn't try to jump up and deflect this ball and I should just let him catch it becuase if I deflect what happens if it is caught by the Broncos and taken for a touchdown." I mean seriously man come on really? This is just a horrible argument you have here.

 

Its also not the best that your basing your argument for Joseph being better this year on a fluke play, and just one other play. While Joseph got beat on a long pass by Mike Wallace against the Steelers, got beat by Sweed on a long pass by the Steelers (luckily he dropped it), also gave up a lot of quick slants to Mike Wallace that day. Got beat on a deep pass by Massoqui against the Browns. Then the first play of last week against the Texans, guess who's side the quick screen to Johnson was on? Thats right it was Joseph's side. I mean I believe you have watched all the games this year, so you have seen all this, and have seen where more completions have come against Joseph this year. So seeing all this, its kind of sad that you base your opinion on Hall not being as good this year on two plays, and one of them being a fluke play.

 

Which by the way if I was coaching I wouldn't have been mad at Hall for that play because as I said 99% of the time that pass after a deflection like that does not end up being complete and is more likely to be intercepted than complete.

 

 

I applaud you for being the first football coach ever in the history of the game for not teaching your DB's to bat the ball down. Great minds like you thinking out of the box are what makes football great! If noone would've thought out of the box the Wildcat would've never been run!!!

 

What else do you have up your sleeve??

  • Author
Your argument about the safety not being there being in his mind is innacurate. I don't care what corners are taught every player in every sport is taught not to worry about where your other players are. Do your job and if someone else slips up it's on them. On that play it'd been better if he couldn't catch it or bat it down to just try hitting Marshall and jar it loose. As a former DB anfd a future coach you should know this

 

Think about what you just said there. That is why I say that Hall did the right thing trying to make a play on that ball. If you can make a play on the ball as a DB, you try to make a play on it. Never do you just say well I could deflect this pass, but I am just going to let it go. I mean come on man, that was a very very poor argument you had saying he shouldnt have done that and just let him catch it. I don't think you would find any coach in football tell a guy not to try to make a play on the ball if they can. I mean its very easy for you to say yeah he should have let him catch it, since we know how it ended up. However if we had no clue how that play would have went, then it would have been just dumb for a corner not to try to make a play on the ball if they could. I mean if that deflection ended up in the hands of a Bengals guy, then people would talk about what a great play by Hall to get his hand on the pass. It was as good of a play as he could have made, it was just bad luck on that. Plain and simple. You wouldn't find a cornerback in the NFL who would just let it go over there heads if they could make a play on it.

Think about what you just said there. That is why I say that Hall did the right thing trying to make a play on that ball. If you can make a play on the ball as a DB, you try to make a play on it. Never do you just say well I could deflect this pass, but I am just going to let it go. I mean come on man, that was a very very poor argument you had saying he shouldnt have done that and just let him catch it. I don't think you would find any coach in football tell a guy not to try to make a play on the ball if they can. I mean its very easy for you to say yeah he should have let him catch it, since we know how it ended up. However if we had no clue how that play would have went, then it would have been just dumb for a corner not to try to make a play on the ball if they could. I mean if that deflection ended up in the hands of a Bengals guy, then people would talk about what a great play by Hall to get his hand on the pass. It was as good of a play as he could have made, it was just bad luck on that. Plain and simple. You wouldn't find a cornerback in the NFL who would just let it go over there heads if they could make a play on it.

If he had not caught it and won the game I would've still screamed at the TV for batting it in the air. It's one of the biggest no no's in football.

Knock off the personal attacks. If you can't debate without getting personal, then take it to pm's.

Knock off the personal attacks. If you can't debate without getting personal, then take it to pm's.

 

Yes sir.:D

  • Author
If he had not caught it and won the game I would've still screamed at the TV for batting it in the air. It's one of the biggest no no's in football.

 

Go talk to one of our good friends who is a defensive coordinator and see what he thinks about that play and what Hall did. :sssh::D

  • Author
Knock off the personal attacks. If you can't debate without getting personal, then take it to pm's.

 

I am not sure if I have, but you got it. :thumb:

Go talk to one of our good friends who is a defensive coordinator and see what he thinks about that play and what Hall did. :sssh::D

 

Already have. Know what he said? You're taught in peewee ball not to tip it in the air. I talked to him that night actually.

  • Author
Already have. Know what he said? You're taught in peewee ball not to tip it in the air. I talked to him that night actually.

 

Try again, I just got off the phone with him...:thumb:

Try again, I just got off the phone with him...:thumb:

 

You're either lying or he's a flip flopper because I'm telling you what he said the night of that game.:D

  • Author
Try again, I just got off the phone with him...:thumb:

 

By the way you know what he said. He teaches his guys to do exactly what Hall did. He said if a receiver is in front of the corner, he doesn't want them jumping it unless they know they can knock it down. However if a guy is behind him like in the case of Hall, because of the Bengals being in a zone. He teaches his guys to try to make a play on the ball. He said Hall did what he had to do, it was just more bad luck. He also said if anything the safeties are more responsible for what happened. :thumb:

  • Author
You're either lying or he's a flip flopper because I'm telling you what he said the night of that game.:D

 

Call him up right now if you don't believe me. :sssh::popcorn:

By the way you know what he said. He teaches his guys to do exactly what Hall did. He said if a receiver is in front of the corner, he doesn't want them jumping it unless they know they can knock it down. However if a guy is behind him like in the case of Hall, because of the Bengals being in a zone. He teaches his guys to try to make a play on the ball. He said Hall did what he had to do, it was just more bad luck. He also said if anything the safeties are more responsible for what happened. :thumb:

 

The safety is very resposible, but making a play on the ball isn't necessarily hitting the ball. With the angle he had he could've easily leveled Marshall and had a chance at no catch. Or as I said before if he does catch it who cares I'll take my chances from that part of the field.

  • Author
The safety is very resposible, but making a play on the ball isn't necessarily hitting the ball. With the angle he had he could've easily leveled Marshall out of bounds for the no force out rule and in turn no catch. Or as I said before if he does catch it who cares I'll take my chances from that part of the field.

 

You going against someone who knows more about defense than either you or I, and he even said there was nothing wrong with what Hall did. He tried to make a play on the ball, and a lot of times that ends up incomplete or intercepted. Not caught and then run for a touchdown by the offense. As I been saying before it was just more bad luck than anything on that play. Any corner in the NFL would have tried the same thing, and if they couldn't knock it straight down they would have still deflected the ball just like him. You are taught to try to make a play on the ball and get a hand on it. I mean yeah its very easy for you to say, well we would have been better off if he didn't, and yeah knowing what we know now we would have been better off if he didn't. However he did what he needed to do at that time, because no one would have thought it would have happened like it did. It was just bad luck thats all.

 

You also realize we are not even talking about the thread anymore, we been talking about just this one play the whole time. Which brings me back to how could you say Joseph has been better and more consistent than Hall, by basing it off of two plays and one of them being a fluke play.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.