Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengal Cornerbacks

Which Corner Has Been Better This Season 31 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Corner Has Been Better This Season

    • Leon Hall
      38%
      12
    • Jonathan Joseph
      61%
      19

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

So me and #5 are having a friendly argument. Which corner do you think has been the better corner OVERALL for the Bengals THIS SEASON? Do you think it has been Joseph or Hall?

 

I say both have done very good this year, however I say Hall has been the better one out of the two this year. It has seemed like to me when a corner has gotten beat this year it has been Joseph that has gotten beat, and seems like more receptions have happened on the guys he has been guarding. Both corners have I believe 3 interceptions each, and I will admit Josephs interceptions that he has came up with have been bigger. However I am talking about overall play this year, not any other year just this year. Overall who has done the better job this year?

 

I mean this argument really is no big deal, because they both honestly have done good, and the Bengals have shut down every teams #1 receiver every week except against the Texans. So its not like either is doing bad. In years past I would have said Joseph was better, because I never been to big on Hall but this year as of right now I say Hall has been the better of the two OVEVRALL. What do you all say?

  • Replies 62
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I will also add that the reason that we haven't heard Hall's name as much as Joseph, is because QB's have thrown at Joseph more because there has been more success that way for them.

Interesting that you wait until Hall has a game with two interceptions before you post this thread. :sssh: :lol:

  • Author
Interesting that you wait until Hall has a game with two interceptions before you post this thread. :sssh: :lol:

 

Well it did work out well for me. However me and #5 were having this discussion before the game in the prediction thread. Then after the game we still were, and he was the one who made the suggestion to make this a thread to see what everyone else thinks. I mean even though I took Hall, doesn't mean I think Joseph has done bad. They both have done very good this year, I just think overall Hall has been the better of the two so far and more consistent.

Well it did work out well for me. However me and #5 were having this discussion before the game in the prediction thread. Then after the game we still were, and he was the one who made the suggestion to make this a thread to see what everyone else thinks. I mean even though I took Hall, doesn't mean I think Joseph has done bad. They both have done very good this year, I just think overall Hall has been the better of the two so far and more consistent.

 

 

 

I think it's pretty much impossible to tell unless you're watching the games at Paul Brown stadium, or watching these guys on film. I've done neither, so I can't give an accurate assessment.

  • Author
I think it's pretty much impossible to tell unless you're watching the games at Paul Brown stadium, or watching these guys on film. I've done neither, so I can't give an accurate assessment.

 

Obviously you have to watch film, this way you can look at play by play. However going by what we do see is what I am asking, and from what we have seen this year I say Hall has been the more consistent one this year. Which means IMO the better overall one this year. Both have been good, but the bigger plays and seems like more receptions have come on Joseph this year from what I have seen.

Hall is too often around the ball for the wrong reasons. He almost single handedly ruined the Bengals season. He's always around when bad things happen. Like the tip in week 1 and when he pulled up assuming the RB was down against the Ravens was down. That mushap led to another TD. Joseph isn't always flashy, but he's there when it matters with his picks and deflected passes to stall drives.

  • Author
Hall is too often around the ball for the wrong reasons. He almost single handedly ruined the Bengals season. He's always around when bad things happen. Like the tip in week 1 and when he pulled up assuming the RB was down against the Ravens was down. That mushap led to another TD. Joseph isn't always flashy, but he's there when it matters with his picks and deflected passes to stall drives.

 

You seriously blaming him for them losing to the Broncos? I mean he made a great play on the ball to tip that. I mean would you rather him just not try and let the ball go over his head? Which by the way if he lets it go over his head, then Marshall catches the pass. It was just a very unlucky play for the Bengals. Now for the Ravens game, I will give you that was horrible by Hall to give up on that tackle on Rice. However I don't know how you can argue that Hall has not been the more consistent one out of the two this year. I mean if you have watched all the games, its really easy to see. Overall Hall has been the better of the two so far this year. I mean you can't go wrong with either of them, however overall this year Hall has been the better one so far and more consistent.

You seriously blaming him for them losing to the Broncos? I mean he made a great play on the ball to tip that. I mean would you rather him just not try and let the ball go over his head? Which by the way if he lets it go over his head, then Marshall catches the pass. It was just a very unlucky play for the Bengals. Now for the Ravens game, I will give you that was horrible by Hall to give up on that tackle on Rice. However I don't know how you can argue that Hall has not been the more consistent one out of the two this year. I mean if you have watched all the games, its really easy to see. Overall Hall has been the better of the two so far this year. I mean you can't go wrong with either of them, however overall this year Hall has been the better one so far and more consistent.

 

That's why week in and week out when players tip balls in the air rather than down a coach will scream their ear off? Because it's a great play? Funny way of showing a player he did well.

  • Author
That's why week in and week out when players tip balls in the air rather than down they scream their ear off? Because it's a great play? Funny way of showing a player he did well.

 

So once again as I said, I guess you were wanting him to just let the pass go over his head and get caught right? I mean you do realize the Bengals were in a cover 2 defense, do you know how that works? Its not man to man, so it was not Hall's responsibility to stay with the receiver on the go route. The Broncos were going at the hole in that zone between the safety and the corner that is there in the cover 2. So as I said, if he lets it go, then Marshall catches the ball. I mean obviously if he could have knocked it down, he would have done that. However he did a great job at just getting his hand on the ball there and it took him jumping as high as possible to even do that. You also have heard of tip drills haven't you? Corners are taught to try to get their hands on the ball, if you can knock it down then knock it down. However sometimes your not able to do that, and the ball does go up in the air. It was just bad luck for the Bengals that it went straight to the Broncos guy, not Hall's fault at all on that. He did what needed to be done, because if he doesn't tip it Marshall catches it and they are close to field goal range to win it.

So once again as I said, I guess you were wanting him to just let the pass go over his head and get caught right? I mean you do realize the Bengals were in a cover 2 defense, do you know how that works? Its not man to man, so it was not Hall's responsibility to stay with the receiver on the go route. The Broncos were going at the hole in that zone between the safety and the corner that is there in the cover 2. So as I said, if he lets it go, then Marshall catches the ball. I mean obviously if he could have knocked it down, he would have done that. However he did a great job at just getting his hand on the ball there and it took him jumping as high as possible to even do that. You also have heard of tip drills haven't you? Corners are taught to try to get their hands on the ball, if you can knock it down then knock it down. However sometimes your not able to do that, and the ball does go up in the air. It was just bad luck for the Bengals that it went straight to the Broncos guy, not Hall's fault at all on that. He did what needed to be done, because if he doesn't tip it Marshall catches it and they are close to field goal range to win it.

If he can't bat that ball to the ground yeah let him catch it. Still out of FG position and having a Kyle Orton that is uncomfortable at the time having to make plays I'll take it.

 

I'll tell you what. When your a present coach and not a future coach I'll come watch you and when a DB bats a ball in the air I want to see you saying nothing, but good play.

  • Author
If he can't bat that ball to the ground yeah let him catch it. Still out of FG position and having a Kyle Orton that is uncomfortable at the time having to make plays I'll take it.

 

I'll tell you what. When your a present coach and not a future coach I'll come watch you and when a DB bats a ball in the air I want to see you saying nothing, but good play.

 

Wow! :lol:

So once again as I said, I guess you were wanting him to just let the pass go over his head and get caught right? I mean you do realize the Bengals were in a cover 2 defense, do you know how that works? Its not man to man, so it was not Hall's responsibility to stay with the receiver on the go route. The Broncos were going at the hole in that zone between the safety and the corner that is there in the cover 2. So as I said, if he lets it go, then Marshall catches the ball. I mean obviously if he could have knocked it down, he would have done that. However he did a great job at just getting his hand on the ball there and it took him jumping as high as possible to even do that. You also have heard of tip drills haven't you? Corners are taught to try to get their hands on the ball, if you can knock it down then knock it down. However sometimes your not able to do that, and the ball does go up in the air. It was just bad luck for the Bengals that it went straight to the Broncos guy, not Hall's fault at all on that. He did what needed to be done, because if he doesn't tip it Marshall catches it and they are close to field goal range to win it.

Watch this video, last I checked your own 38 isn't in field goal range or even close. They had to go another atleast 25-30 yards for FG range. Dropping 8 and an unsure Qb I'll take my chances.

 

Next time do your HW before you talk about things such as the spot of a football. Youtube is a valuable resource.

 

LINK

  • Author
Watch this video, last I checked your own 38 isn't in field goal range or even close. They had to go another atleast 25-30 yards for FG range. Dropping 8 and an unsure Qb I'll take my chances.

 

Next time do your HW before you talk about things such as the spot of a football. Youtube is a valuable resource.

 

LINK

 

I give you credit I thought it was the 45 just from remembering it. However your little thing about just letting a guy catch the ball, makes me question your knowledge of football. Corners are taught all their lives to try to make a play on the ball. Now your saying well just ignore all your instincts from playing your whole life, and let the ball go over your head even though you can make a play on it? I mean what happens if the safety wasn't in his right position, and Hall just lets him catch it without trying to tip it? The guy just catches it and keeps running. Basically what you are saying a corner should never try to deflect a pass. Even though 99% of the time when a corner deflects a pass, it ends up being incomplete or even intercepted. Basically what you are saying is what should have been going through Hall's head is "oh crap I shouldn't try to jump up and deflect this ball and I should just let him catch it becuase if I deflect what happens if it is caught by the Broncos and taken for a touchdown." I mean seriously man come on really? This is just a horrible argument you have here.

 

Its also not the best that your basing your argument for Joseph being better this year on a fluke play, and just one other play. While Joseph got beat on a long pass by Mike Wallace against the Steelers, got beat by Sweed on a long pass by the Steelers (luckily he dropped it), also gave up a lot of quick slants to Mike Wallace that day. Got beat on a deep pass by Massoqui against the Browns. Then the first play of last week against the Texans, guess who's side the quick screen to Johnson was on? Thats right it was Joseph's side. I mean I believe you have watched all the games this year, so you have seen all this, and have seen where more completions have come against Joseph this year. So seeing all this, its kind of sad that you base your opinion on Hall not being as good this year on two plays, and one of them being a fluke play.

 

Which by the way if I was coaching I wouldn't have been mad at Hall for that play because as I said 99% of the time that pass after a deflection like that does not end up being complete and is more likely to be intercepted than complete.

I give you credit I thought it was the 45 just from remembering it. However you little thing about just letting a guy catch the ball, shows me all I need to know about you knowledge of football. Corners are taught all their lives to try to make a play on the ball. Now your saying well just ignore all your instincts from playing your whole life, and let the ball go over your head even though you can make a play on it? I mean what happens if the safety wasn't in his right position, and Hall just lets him catch it without trying to tip it? The guy just catches it and keeps running. Basically what you are saying a corner should never try to deflect a pass. Even though 99% of the time when a corner deflects a pass, it ends up being incomplete or even intercepted. Basically what you are saying is what should have been going through Hall's head is "oh crap I shouldn't try to jump up and deflect this ball and I should just let him catch it becuase if I deflect what happens if it is caught by the Broncos and taken for a touchdown." I mean seriously man come on really? This is just a horrible argument you have here.

 

Its also not the best that your basing your argument for Joseph being better this year on a fluke play, and just one other play. While Joseph got beat on a long pass by Mike Wallace against the Steelers, got beat by Sweed on a long pass by the Steelers (luckily he dropped it), also gave up a lot of quick slants to Mike Wallace that day. Got beat on a deep pass by Massoqui against the Browns. Then the first play of last week against the Texans, guess who's side the quick screen to Johnson was on? Thats right it was Joseph's side. I mean I believe you have watched all the games this year, so you have seen all this, and have seen where more completions have come against Joseph this year. So seeing all this, its kind of sad that you base your opinion on Hall not being as good this year on two plays, and one of them being a fluke play.

 

Which by the way if I was coaching I wouldn't have been mad at Hall for that play because as I said 99% of the time that pass after a deflection like that does not end up being complete and is more likely to be intercepted than complete.

 

Your argument about the safety not being there being in his mind is innacurate. I don't care what corners are taught every player in every sport is taught not to worry about where your other players are. Do your job and if someone else slips up it's on them. On that play it'd been better if he couldn't catch it or bat it down to just try hitting Marshall and jar it loose. As a former DB anfd a future coach you should know this

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.