Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Perfect Storm...

Featured Replies

Highlands beating Cincy X last night ranks as one of the best ever wins by a KY high school football team against an out of state opponent. Trinity beating Elder a few years ago (and then Elder winning it all) still ranks as number one in my mind unless Cincy X wins Ohio D1 and then this game will surpass the Trinity win. You could argue since Cincy X is so much bigger than Highlands it is a bigger win than Trinity beating Elder because Trinity and Elder are very similar in many regards including size. However, I think since Elder went on to win it all the Trinity win still ranks as #1 and the Highlands win as #2 all time.

 

What interests me the most is the perfect storm that came together for the Highlands victory. I have some random thoughts here that all added up to Bluebird Delight:

 

1. Highlands approached this game as if it was the Super Bowl. This is the game HHS has pointed to all off season.

 

2. Cincy X just finished beating Louisville X and Trinity who are normally considered the best two teams in KY. So if Cincy X handled both of them (I know the Louisville X game was close) then I think it is very possible Cincy X was overlooking Highlands.

 

3. Cincy X was flat.

 

4. The Cincy X coaching staff was guilty of the same mistake they made a couple of years ago against Trinity at Cincy X (LINK to that thread for reference). They approached the game like a scrimmage (or at least wanted to work on their passing game) instead of cramming the ball down Highlands throat. Two years ago against Trinity, X had enough juice to overcome it, last night in Fort Thomas the Birds hung tough. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you, this time the blue bear (Bluebird) got the Bombers.

 

5. Cincy X plays Elder next week.

 

6. The Highlands coaching staff turned in one of the finest performances by any staff ever.

 

7. Highlands played tremendous defense.

 

Ah the perfect storm!

 

GO BIRDS!

 

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

  • Replies 64
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Saint X bit off a little more than they could chew setting up the schedule they have this year. It's very hard (I would think) for a high school team to be "up" 100% every week, and with Saint X's schedule there are so many potential traps for the Bombers if they aren't 100% "up" every game.

 

I really wonder whether Saint X will be able to win the state title in Ohio, like Elder did back in 2002 when Trinity beat them... gosh I hope they do (it would then look great for Highlands) but I suspect they will lose some more games... heck, they have Elder next week! Yikes! Highlands did play a heck of a game, especially on defense/special teams.

Is it possible Highlands "won the battle but lost the war" depending on how serious the Bardo injury is?

I want to here about the Saint X and Elder predictions. Hope the QB from Highlands is ok.

Is it possible Highlands "won the battle but lost the war" depending on how serious the Bardo injury is?

Who knows what Bardo's status is (I sure don't), but I would say that how this team will be remembered in years to come will have less to do with the Saint X game and more to do with whether they win state... this is Coach Mueller's and the team's primary goal every year. Injuries are a part of football and Highlands is no stranger to the injury issue... everyone should remember that one week before the start of the 2008 season Highlands lost their best player (RB Josh Conner) for most of the year. Highlands re-grouped and still won state. Winning teams/programs often find ways to accomplish their goals.

 

I wish Bardo a speedy recovery and hopefully the reports that he will only miss one game are correct.

Is it possible Highlands "won the battle but lost the war" depending on how serious the Bardo injury is?

Someone on Yappi is reporting that he's done for the year. Needs Tommy John Surgery. The poster is a freshman with only 5 posts so that means he either is starting junk or he is a Highlands fan who joined just to post stuff on the win. Here is the post:

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3780932&postcount=378

 

If true, I got to believe it will cost Highlands the State Title, my thoughts.

 

So if all that is the case...was it worth it??

 

-CardinalsFan

Someone on Yappi is reporting that he's done for the year. Needs Tommy John Surgery. The poster is a freshman with only 5 posts so that means he either is starting junk or he is a Highlands fan who joined just to post stuff on the win. Here is the post:

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3780932&postcount=378

 

If true, I got to believe it will cost Highlands the State Title, my thoughts.

 

So if all that is the case...was it worth it??

 

-CardinalsFan

 

Actually, I'd say that even without their starting QB Highlands may still be favored to win the state title... CardinalsFan, I think Class 5A is a bit down this year and Highlands is very talented and very deep for Kentucky standards.

 

Also, to answer your question about whether it was worth it, players get hurt all the time, and I don't think it's possible to say that Highlands would not have an injury issue if they did not play Saint X... the same thing could happen while they are playing a weak team.

 

There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about this injury that varies widely... so it's too early to say what the ramifications of this will be. First thing's first for Highlands... prepare for Dixie next week then heal up during the bye week.

Edited by jbwill2

Someone on Yappi is reporting that he's done for the year. Needs Tommy John Surgery. The poster is a freshman with only 5 posts so that means he either is starting junk or he is a Highlands fan who joined just to post stuff on the win. Here is the post:

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3780932&postcount=378

 

If true, I got to believe it will cost Highlands the State Title, my thoughts.

 

So if all that is the case...was it worth it??

 

-CardinalsFan

 

A ticket to the Highlands v. St. X game $6.00 or so.

A game program $5.00

The expression on your face after the game: Priceless

Actually, I'd say that even without their starting QB Highlands may still be favored to win the state title... CardinalsFan, I think Class 5A is a bit down this year and Highlands is very talented and very deep for Kentucky standards.

 

Also, to answer your question about whether it was worth it, players get hurt all the time, and I don't think it's possible to say that Highlands would not have an injury issue if they did not play Saint X... the same thing could happen while they are playing a weak team.

 

There seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about this injury that varies widely... so it's too early to say what the ramifications of this will be. First thing's first for Highlands... prepare for Dixie next week then heal up during the bye week.

I certainly hope that if Bardo is out for an extended period of time that there is a better backup than the Sophomore I saw on Friday. Maybe with 1st team reps he'd look better but...

 

Bye week....that kills me! :laugh: You are in a class with only 35 teams and you get a bye week. Boy, I wish Ohio had that. :idunno:

 

Either way, best of luck the rest of the way. It was truly a special night in Ft. Thomas. Can't imagine national exposure could have gone any better.

 

-CardinalsFan

I disagree with the perfect storm argument. IMO speed defeated size, plain and simple.

I disagree with the perfect storm argument. IMO speed defeated size, plain and simple.

No, I think you are wrong there. Speed is nice, but two things:

 

1) St. Xavier isn't slow

2) Colerain is pretty fast and we had no luck whatsoever against their defense.

 

I don't mean to sound like a typical Ohio blowhard but if these two teams lined up 10 times, I'm still taking St. Xavier to win more than they lose. I truly am at a loss over what I saw. There is no explanation in my mind whatsoever. Unless, of course, Colerain, Indy Cathedral, Trinity and St. X (Lou) are all below average this year. Guess that's possible. :idunno:

 

-CardinalsFan

I certainly hope that if Bardo is out for an extended period of time that there is a better backup than the Sophomore I saw on Friday. Maybe with 1st team reps he'd look better but...

I'd say that the back-up looked just as good or better than the starting QB for Colerain when they played X, wouldn't you CF!!!:D

 

Come on, the kid played a handful of minutes and did what he needed to do, which is to not screw up, and he did what he needed to do! Were you expecting him to start airing it out with HHS up two scores late in the game??? :confused:

I'd say that the back-up looked just as good or better than the starting QB for Colerain, wouldn't you CF!!!:D

 

Come on, the kid played a handful of minutes and did what he needed to do, which is to not screw up, and he did what he needed to do! Were you expecting him to start airing it out with HHS up two scores late in the game??? :confused:

No but I also don't expect him to run into his tailback and almost lose the ball twice. Look, not banging on the kid. He's a 14/15 year old who was thrown into a hornets nest on national TV. Are you kidding me? I would have peed my pants!! :eek:

 

And no, I wouldn't say he looked as good as Tabar. Very funny...:rolleyes:

 

-CardinalsFan

And no, I wouldn't say he looked as good as Tabar. Very funny...:rolleyes:

 

-CardinalsFan

Well, I believe that Highlands' back-up QB led an offense that scored more points (3) against Saint X in just a few minutes than Tabar did for the whole game against X, no??? :sssh:

But getting back to the topic, I think that this game meant something very different to these two teams, and Highlands (especially Highlands' defense) came out and played with a chip on its shoulder (or perhaps a "chirp" on its shoulder!!!!). The 'Birds seemed hungrier for the win.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.