Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What schools have a middle school volleyball program?

Featured Replies

Garrard County doesn't have a middle school team, but rather they field a freshman team, junior varsity and varsity. The freshman team is made up almost entirely of middle schoolers. I think there are many schools in this part of the state that do it the same way.

All parocial schools in NKY, and Loiusville I'm sure, start the girls at a very young age, and that is part of the reason the schools that don't can't catch up. There is no reason all schools couldn't do this, but you must get a real committment from parents to volunteer to run the program and coach the teams. This is a hugh amount of time committment, but obviously it pays off.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All parocial schools in NKY, and Loiusville I'm sure, start the girls at a very young age, and that is part of the reason the schools that don't can't catch up. There is no reason all schools couldn't do this, but you must get a real committment from parents to volunteer to run the program and coach the teams. This is a hugh amount of time committment, but obviously it pays off.

 

Agreed. I would think there would need to be at least some type of "little league" volleyball program before out-in-state programs can consistently compete with the private schools. And I'm not sure of many places that have that.

It is unclear to me why the public elementary schools are not encouraging young ladies to play VB by hosting teams for them. Many of this gals are not even introduced to what a VB is until they attend middle school which is a huge diservice to them and puts them behind those in the parocial school systems. Which then ultimately feeds into the high school systems which in NKY is why NDA and St H, NCC do better than some of the public high schools due to experience of the years which the girls have had their hands on a VB.

Unless Parks and Recs picks it up in our town it will not happen. There are only 2 gyms with net systems and they belong to the MS and HS. There is not a place for them to practice or play unfortunately.

 

I think it should be offered also, but for now they begin playing in 6th grade.

It is unclear to me why the public elementary schools are not encouraging young ladies to play VB by hosting teams for them. Many of this gals are not even introduced to what a VB is until they attend middle school which is a huge diservice to them and puts them behind those in the parocial school systems. Which then ultimately feeds into the high school systems which in NKY is why NDA and St H, NCC do better than some of the public high schools due to experience of the years which the girls have had their hands on a VB.

There is no reason they couldn't have teams, but money would be a problem. In the parocial schools it is all volunteers and booster organizations raise all the money. Public schools cold do the same, but apparently no one is stepping up with time/money to make it hapen.

I believe that every public school in Northern Kentucky has a middle school volleyball program.

I believe that every public school in Northern Kentucky has a middle school volleyball program.

Not talking about middle school. The comment was made that by the time kids get to the 6th grade it is too late to catch up. I'm referring to 3rd-5th graders.

A lot of schools in northeastern Kentucky do not start until the high school team.

You also would be surprised to find out that up in NKy, it's not only the young ladies that play. I failed to mention some Catholic Grade/Middle Schools offer Volleyball to the boys.

 

St. Pius had a boys' program starting up when I was there (8 years ago), and still does. I wish I had stuck with volleyball...

St. Pius had a boys' program starting up when I was there (8 years ago), and still does. I wish I had stuck with volleyball...

 

 

You would have still messed your body up, by diving for a ball! :idunno::lol:

A good article from a Laurel County paper on why the county needs to start a middle school program at the middle schools.

 

http://www.sentinel-echo.com/opinion/local_story_229104242.html?keyword=secondarystory

I disagree with one statement in the article Middle school is not where the fundamentals of volleyball should be taught . They should be taught in grade school , by the time the girls hit middle school they should have the fundamentals down pat .
  • Author
I disagree with one statement in the article Middle school is not where the fundamentals of volleyball should be taught . They should be taught in grade school , by the time the girls hit middle school they should have the fundamentals down pat .

 

I agree, however, you have to start somewhere and right now the only volleyball in Laurel County is at the high school level. If they can start middle school programs at the schools, then the grade school can follow. They have just re-started grade school basketball in Laurel County this school year. Other than that, there are no grade school sports. The Optimist Club does have football, basketball and soccer and the county does have 2 little league organizations for baseball & softball. But nothing for volleyball. The principals have been resistant to volleyball starting at the middle schools, .. but then again, some principals were resistant to re-starting grade school basketball as well.

I agree, however, you have to start somewhere and right now the only volleyball in Laurel County is at the high school level. If they can start middle school programs at the schools, then the grade school can follow. They have just re-started grade school basketball in Laurel County this school year. Other than that, there are no grade school sports. The Optimist Club does have football, basketball and soccer and the county does have 2 little league organizations for baseball & softball. But nothing for volleyball. The principals have been resistant to volleyball starting at the middle schools, .. but then again, some principals were resistant to re-starting grade school basketball as well.
Then they are very short- sighted principals aren't they .

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.