Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Skinner on Coach Ray's New Gig

Featured Replies

"To me it means the world," said Wirth, who was an assistant at CovCath under Ray from 2001-2003 before serving the past five seasons as head coach at Hamilton (Ohio) Badin. "For me personally having a guy that's such an influence and a mentor and a role model, I honestly can't put it into words what this means to me."

 

Ray, who didn't retire as a teacher at CovCath when he retired as a coach and still teaches history, is an awfully big presence looming over the program, but Wirth said that doesn't

 

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090605/SPT030201/906060365/

This is just too cool. Lynn Ray will always be a major part of NKY Football. Wirth knows how to put a staff together and he landed probably one of the biggest assets he could possibly land at Cov Cath. Good Luck Cov Cath in '09!

This is just too cool. Lynn Ray will always be a major part of NKY Football. Wirth knows how to put a staff together and he landed probably one of the biggest assets he could possibly land at Cov Cath. Good Luck Cov Cath in '09!

 

Wirth does seem to be starting on the right foot.

Not to speak poorly about coach Brossart, but I really like hearing the players talk about how excited they are about coach Wirth, and how excited he gets them about the game. That's something - something very important - that's been missing for the last two years.

Not to speak poorly about coach Brossart, but I really like hearing the players talk about how excited they are about coach Wirth, and how excited he gets them about the game. That's something - something very important - that's been missing for the last two years.

 

I've heard that too. Then again, if CovCath is blown out in several games this year and the parents and fans turn on Wirth, the enthusiasm of the players for him will be short lived.

I've heard that too. Then again, if CovCath is blown out in several games this year and the parents and fans turn on Wirth, the enthusiasm of the players for him will be short lived.

 

There undoubtedly were parents who started trying to push for changes in the coaching staff after Cov Cath was blown out like it was. But honestly, in '07 we had losses of 7-34, 6-35, 13-38, and 0-40, then in '08 there were losses of 0-57, 0-61, 7-56, 0-56. Those are tough scores to swallow down for a program like Cov Cath, particularly because if you attended most of the games, you saw that the team hardly showed up to begin with, and then folded up shop in the first half - sometimes even in the first quarter of games. That reflects, at least somewhat, on poor coaching.

 

I don't care how much he may think his parents and even he may not like his coach, but any 16, 17 or 18 year-old player, who has put in the time and effort that is required just to get to the regular season in a program like that, is not going to willingly sit by and watch his team get shellacked like that. When they're taking losses like that there has to be a breakdown somewhere in the coaching of a program with athletes as talented as Cov Cath's.

 

Regardless, I think coach Wirth has a very good thing going. The staff he has put together is made for success, member's of which have already had the solid support of the Cov Cath community in the past. There is a lot of excitement among the players, coaches, and school community, and things are moving in a positive direction.

There undoubtedly were parents who started trying to push for changes in the coaching staff after Cov Cath was blown out like it was. But honestly, in '07 we had losses of 7-34, 6-35, 13-38, and 0-40, then in '08 there were losses of 0-57, 0-61, 7-56, 0-56. Those are tough scores to swallow down for a program like Cov Cath, particularly because if you attended most of the games, you saw that the team hardly showed up to begin with, and then folded up shop in the first half - sometimes even in the first quarter of games. That reflects, at least somewhat, on poor coaching.

 

I don't care how much he may think his parents and even he may not like his coach, but any 16, 17 or 18 year-old player, who has put in the time and effort that is required just to get to the regular season in a program like that, is not going to willingly sit by and watch his team get shellacked like that. When they're taking losses like that there has to be a breakdown somewhere in the coaching of a program with athletes as talented as Cov Cath's.

 

Regardless, I think coach Wirth has a very good thing going. The staff he has put together is made for success, member's of which have already had the solid support of the Cov Cath community in the past. There is a lot of excitement among the players, coaches, and school community, and things are moving in a positive direction.

 

 

Understood and agreed with. I fully understand why the fans, parents and even the players were upset with Brossart (although I cut him more slack than a lot of others because, and I hate to say this about kids, there has been a big drop off in talent at CovCath since the 06 championship team in my opinion). I think CovCath is still at least one year away from again being truly competitive for the 5A championship. However, I too expect the players to play with more enthusiasm this year.

 

If they get blown out in several games this year, it's possible that things could revert to what was happening the last two years ( a more reasonable schedule makes that less likely to happen). Having Ray on the staff was a brilliant move by Wirth, and not just because of his coaching abilities.

Understood and agreed with. I fully understand why the fans, parents and even the players were upset with Brossart (although I cut him more slack than a lot of others because, and I hate to say this about kids, there has been a big drop off in talent at CovCath since the 06 championship team in my opinion). I think CovCath is still at least one year away from again being truly competitive for the 5A championship. However, I too expect the players to play with more enthusiasm this year.

 

If they get blown out in several games this year, it's possible that things could revert to what was happening the last two years ( a more reasonable schedule makes that less likely to happen). Having Ray on the staff was a brilliant move by Wirth, and not just because of his coaching abilities.

 

I agree with you, definitely. As far as the "drop off" goes, though, I think '06 was pretty undeniably an out-of-the-ordinary talent pool for Cov Cath. If you look back, even some of the championship teams weren't particularly stacked with as much "talent" as they were with dedicated, hard-working, and tough players who wouldn't quit. In my opinion, Coach Ray's ability, above all, is get a lot out of a little. He could get his players to give all they had, and he won games and championships with that.

 

Not to say that they've never had talent on their teams, but I think 2006 was a banner year.

Not to speak poorly about coach Brossart, but I really like hearing the players talk about how excited they are about coach Wirth, and how excited he gets them about the game. That's something - something very important - that's been missing for the last two years.

 

Did you see the article in the Enquirer this week about Dixie and how excited their players are about Coach Brossart being a part of their program? It is always interesting watching how a coach is a poor fit in one place and a great fit in another. I would guess Dixie and CCH play each other this year. If that is true, that will be a very interesting game to watch. Dixie is going to be very strong this year and Coach Brossart might get to taste some revenge if that game is on the schedule.

Understood and agreed with. I fully understand why the fans, parents and even the players were upset with Brossart (although I cut him more slack than a lot of others because, and I hate to say this about kids, there has been a big drop off in talent at CovCath since the 06 championship team in my opinion). QUOTE]

 

 

I've seen you make this point many times, LN. I agree that there was a drop off in talent among the players that Brossart and his staff chose to put on the field last year. However, there was a tremendous amount of talent on the sidelines who should get their opportunity this year.

I've seen you make this point many times, LN. I agree that there was a drop off in talent among the players that Brossart and his staff chose to put on the field last year. However, there was a tremendous amount of talent on the sidelines who should get their opportunity this year.

 

Are you saying he played the wrong students, or are you talking about injuries?

Did you see the article in the Enquirer this week about Dixie and how excited their players are about Coach Brossart being a part of their program? It is always interesting watching how a coach is a poor fit in one place and a great fit in another. I would guess Dixie and CCH play each other this year. If that is true, that will be a very interesting game to watch. Dixie is going to be very strong this year and Coach Brossart might get to taste some revenge if that game is on the schedule.

 

Yes, it think that is one of many interesting ins and outs of finding the right coach/coaching staff.

 

Also, Cov Cath plays Dixie at Dixie on Oct. 23rd...should be a very interesting game indeed. I'm planning on attending for sure.

  • Author
Are you saying he played the wrong students, or are you talking about injuries?

 

Time to move on. That horse has been kicked quite a bit.

 

BTW, welcome. Good to have a CCH supporter to combat all of these HHS yahoos.:clap:

It has been beaten to death but Brossart couldn't hack it as a CCH head coach even with better talent, in my opinion. Personality doesn't fit. The common sentiment among CCH football alum is that they're happy to have a guy like Wirth back. There was no connection to the program with old players when coaches Rodenberg and Brossart were there. Wirth has changed that for the better.

Time to move on. That horse has been kicked quite a bit.

 

BTW, welcome. Good to have a CCH supporter to combat all of these HHS yahoos.:clap:

 

Good point. And by all means, I'm glad to be here.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.