2A 300 Hurdles Video

Again, the coach should have pulled him from the 4x4 and the outcome may have been different. Coaching error irregardless of what the officials decided at the time. It may not have been the right decision by the officials but the coach needed to adjust to give his runner the best possible chance.

I have to agree with you Henry. I assume the Central coach made a judgment call: let the kid run in the 4x400 relay and hopefully win that to accumulate enough points to win state, or rest him and hope to do so in a re-run of the hurdles. Was Central the favorite going into the 4x400 event? I know that Highlands won it, but I'd heard that Central was the favorite; I just don't know if what I heard was accurate. If what I heard was true, that might explain why the coach let the kid run in the relay and not rest him for the rerun of the hurdles.

Addressing another point raised: The coach is in the best position to determine his kid is ready and able to compete in another event with only 15 minutes rest.

Looking at the race video again the kid that fell in lane 4 ended up in lane 3 the lane that the CovCath runner was in so I guess you could say that the CovCath runner was interfered with but no matter what happened no one was going to beat the kid in lane 8 who I assume was the Central kid .

The ruling is that the runner in Lane 3 was interfered with because he had to leave his lane due to the runner in Lane 4 falling into Lane 3. While this may not have had any impact on the winner, it could have impact on other places and points. Officials made the right call to re-run this race.

The ruling is that the runner in Lane 3 was interfered with because he had to leave his lane due to the runner in Lane 4 falling into Lane 3. While this may not have had any impact on the winner, it could have impact on other places and points. Officials made the right call to re-run this race.
I think that ruling was a reach ...

The 2nd race was more unfair for the Central kid than the first race was for any of the runners in that heat. As to scheduling the events: The meet is scheduled and runners placed according to the published schedule. Had the 300 hurdles been scheduled after the 4x400, I can accept the statement that the coach should not run the athlete in both races with no recovery time. As originally scheduled, he ran his kids to potentially win a championship. The outcome was not fair to any of the kids who had to run the heat twice.

The ruling is a HUGE reach. The runner in lane 4 does not interfere with the runner in lane 3 and only is fully in lane 3 beyond the finish line. Appears that runner in lane 3 would have finished the race in 6th.

If the central coach was concerned that his runner would not be able to compete at his highest level in both events, he certainly had time to do what the coach did for Cov Cath and that is, adjust his 4X400 team to save the young man for the hurdles. The re-run plan was announced far enough ahead for the central coach to make the change. Cov Cath coach did, and it worked for him. That is why you actually have 8 men to choose from in the relay. Central should have been able to choose from 4 other men for the relay. Seems to me -Central was out-coached. Either way re-run or no re-run, Cov Cath played with the same cards the Central team was dealt with.