Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK on ESPN

Featured Replies

Apparenly you just got back from watching next year's UofL basketball team's pickup game

 

You can do better than that...

Good read.

Then you don't get out much. :lol:

 

I live down here only 5 minutes from the North Carolina border. The Tar Heels are very fanatical and numerous. (Kind of like Yankee fans on the Eastern Seaboard from NY to Florida) UNC plays at Charlotte and Greensboro every year because of their fan base. The reason they don't play at Duke is size of gym and it's only 10 miles from the Dean Dome (hardly a reach out to the fan base. :sssh:) and Wake's gym isn't a lot better in size. (Besides they are already playing at Greensboro.)

 

It's arrogance to assume no other major program can compete in fan base. I'm a HUGE UK fan down here in ACC land, but come on. :ohbrother:

 

UNC fans can be just as arrogant, historical minded and passionate for their Tar Holes as UK fans, plus they have a lot more populace in their state with larger cities to go with the rural fan base following. (8.5 million to 4.5 million)

 

You're right about the state population thing, but where UK has basicly Louisville and to a smaller degree WKU to contend with with state loyalty for fanship, UNC has to deal with Duke, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Charlotte, etc, to split up that 8 million population.

 

I still would bet that UK has a bigger fan base than North Carolina, probably the biggest in the nation. UK's fan base spreads to other states. There's a whole lot of transported Kentucky folk living in the Hoosier and Buckeye states who still follow the cats, and pass that loyalty right on to their kids.

Then you don't get out much. :lol:

 

I live down here only 5 minutes from the North Carolina border. The Tar Heels are very fanatical and numerous. (Kind of like Yankee fans on the Eastern Seaboard from NY to Florida) UNC plays at Charlotte and Greensboro every year because of their fan base. The reason they don't play at Duke is size of gym and it's only 10 miles from the Dean Dome (hardly a reach out to the fan base. :sssh:) and Wake's gym isn't a lot better in size. (Besides they are already playing at Greensboro.)

 

It's arrogance to assume no other major program can compete in fan base. I'm a HUGE UK fan down here in ACC land, but come on. :ohbrother:

 

UNC fans can be just as arrogant, historical minded and passionate for their Tar Holes as UK fans, plus they have a lot more populace in their state with larger cities to go with the rural fan base following. (8.5 million to 4.5 million)

 

Believe me, I feel as if I get out a little too much because it always seems I am traveling. Just got back from a Detroit trip, and next weekend may be heading to Chi-Town. Sorry not getting down around tobacco road constitutes not getting out much.

 

 

 

 

 

And even though you did a good job answering half my post, you didn't the second. I'm sure UNC would play a game in Greensboro, and Charlotte, they are the state school. And as alluded to with your Duke and Wake assessments Kentucky is in the same boat being Louisville is about the only place big enough in state to play.

 

 

However, and like I said in the first post. Indy is always wanting a game. Nashville is always wanting a game. Atlanta is always wanting a game. All of this just to satisfy a fan base, and just because they know it doesn't matter, Georgia Dome, RCA Dome, Lucas Oil Field, Ryman Auditorium, wherever I guarantee it will be sold out and 85% Kentucky blue. IMO that is on another level than Carolina, thus I stick by my statement.

 

 

Passionate fans......

 

1. UK

 

2. UNC

 

 

 

 

3. Kansas

Duke

UCLA

 

 

 

No matter what kind of jabs you can throw, and tell me I don't get out much or what not, you just answered your own assessment saying that you live in Tar-Heel country. So of course its going to feel like they are blowing up down there, especially after winning a couple titles in a few years. There's a difference in real and passionate fans as to oh I like North Carolina they've been winning fans, and I'm sure UNC has picked up a fair share of those.

Tar Holes

 

:lol: I'm assuming that wasn't intentional, but it sure did make me laugh.

:lol: I'm assuming that wasn't intentional, but it sure did make me laugh.

 

Oh coming from Hatz I would say it IS intentional. :clap:

Oh coming from Hatz I would say it IS intentional. :clap:

 

:thumb:

Believe me, I feel as if I get out a little too much because it always seems I am traveling. Just got back from a Detroit trip, and next weekend may be heading to Chi-Town. Sorry not getting down around tobacco road constitutes not getting out much.

 

 

 

 

 

And even though you did a good job answering half my post, you didn't the second. I'm sure UNC would play a game in Greensboro, and Charlotte, they are the state school. And as alluded to with your Duke and Wake assessments Kentucky is in the same boat being Louisville is about the only place big enough in state to play.

 

 

However, and like I said in the first post. Indy is always wanting a game. Nashville is always wanting a game. Atlanta is always wanting a game. All of this just to satisfy a fan base, and just because they know it doesn't matter, Georgia Dome, RCA Dome, Lucas Oil Field, Ryman Auditorium, wherever I guarantee it will be sold out and 85% Kentucky blue. IMO that is on another level than Carolina, thus I stick by my statement.

 

 

Passionate fans......

 

1. UK

 

2. UNC

 

 

 

 

3. Kansas

Duke

UCLA

 

 

 

No matter what kind of jabs you can throw, and tell me I don't get out much or what not, you just answered your own assessment saying that you live in Tar-Heel country. So of course its going to feel like they are blowing up down there, especially after winning a couple titles in a few years. There's a difference in real and passionate fans as to oh I like North Carolina they've been winning fans, and I'm sure UNC has picked up a fair share of those.

 

Sorry you took my LOL emoticon personal.

 

The truth is that UNC is a National product and to believe otherwise is not being honest. It is a product because of success and Michael Jordan. UK does not have that kind of icon in it's last 25 years to associate with such (but then again, who does?).

 

You will find no greater UK fan and because of that I assure you it brings me no great pleasure in saying the above. Go to the playgrounds of this country and how many UK shirts and/or gear will you see? Now how much in powder blue?

 

As to the "passionate fans" part, both programs have their share of lunatics and insane behavior, and their share of knowlegable, intelligent fans who bleed blue (different shades of course). The sheer numbers are a big part in N. Carolina. Professor mentioned "sharing the state" but like anyplace, the state school often is the kingpin and the other state schools just don't generate the volume of alumni and state representation that the Home Group does. Plus, with twice the population, you get my drift.

 

UK has a very rabid following, but to suggest it is unique in all the nation is, IMO, a stretch. :thumb:

^ No question about it UNC is a national brand, however, I just feel Kentucky has a more extended/intense following being even the NCAA selection committee is even pressured and knows all about how Kentucky playing in even the furthest away venues will still attract followers by the masses.

Plus, with twice the population, you get my drift.

 

UK has a very rabid following, but to suggest it is unique in all the nation is, IMO, a stretch. :thumb:

 

I feel you on the population part, and that furthers my opinion. Kentucky has half the population and in many eyes would still be the numero uno school in terms of fan base, with UNC at second and with everybody else way off of these two.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.