Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rose Hill vs Fairview

Featured Replies

So you advocate the umps throwing the rules aside to do what they think is right under the circumstances.

 

No, what I advocate is that the darn KID hit the ball over the fence. Irregardless of the rules, I could careless whether he went straight to the dugout. I understand rules are there for a reason, but come on, let the KID enjoy his time. Oh wait, did the KID cheat RH because he forgot to tap the plate with his foot??

 

Bottom line is I believe by playing by the rules, but it was called a HR. If RH dont like it, then they should have scored more runs.

Last inning, RH up 1 run, Fairview kid hits a solo HR and doesnt touch home plate. The ump (who by the way is a Fairview grad) looked at Coach Roy, as if to say are you going to appeal this. So he did. The ump then looked scared to death and called the runner safe. Game tied. Fairview went on to score the winning run on a squeeze bunt that bounce off the batters leg. Coach Roy was more than a little up set.:madman:

 

Why did they appeal unless they just changed the rule back in High School baseball there is no appeal if the Ump sees a kid miss a base when the ball is dead the ump then calls the runner out. End of play.

Why did they appeal unless they just changed the rule back in High School baseball there is no appeal if the Ump sees a kid miss a base when the ball is dead the ump then calls the runner out. End of play.

 

Good question and observation. Maybe someone with more rule knowledge than myself can answer that.

Unless they just changed the rule it had to be called by the ump for over the past 15+ years.

No, what I advocate is that the darn KID hit the ball over the fence. Irregardless of the rules, I could careless whether he went straight to the dugout. I understand rules are there for a reason, but come on, let the KID enjoy his time. Oh wait, did the KID cheat RH because he forgot to tap the plate with his foot??

 

Bottom line is I believe by playing by the rules, but it was called a HR. If RH dont like it, then they should have scored more runs.

 

I understand your premise and agree somewhat but you are contradicting yourself.

Unless they just changed the rule it had to be called by the ump for over the past 15+ years.

 

Rule was changed a few years ago, missed bases, leaving a base early on a tag have to be appealed now, either by the coach from the dugout or players on the field.

It's not begging to expect enforcement of a rule. There is no question the batter missed the plate (by the way, it was a great hit). The rule is there for a reason. At the point Roy was arguing that call it was all he could do within the rules.

The fact is this ump also ref's basketball games. He is rated as one if not the worse official in the 16th. He knew the kid didn't touch the plate and didn't have the guts to make the correct call. As far as him not getting the call on the bunt "after the fit he through on the home run", do you advocate not making the correct call because of an umps hurt feelings?

Sounds like to me you have 2 different thoughts on the touching of the plate. The umpire was showing the Coach with his plate shoe, that he felt he hit the back point of the plate. The coach felt he didnt. Either way it's a judgement call. The ump was right on top of the play, the coach, in the dug-out. What makes you think he knew the kid didnt touch the plate? Did you ask him? Either way, there was going to be an argument. I promise you this, no I dont advocate not making the correct call. But, if you come to the plate on an ump, and try to show him up,you're asking for what happens next. If you don't think it happens, you don't watch much sports.

Rolltide, you didn't see the play. You don't know if he crossed the plate or not. I saw the play. I know the kid wasn't even close. I know the ump didn't see him touch the plate because the kid didn't touch it.

Rose Hill lost the game because of errors committed earlier in the game. I'm not blaming this call at all for the loss. I'm just saying it was the wrong call. Bradley hit a great shot that I congratulated him on. Coach Roy was right to argue the call, under the circumstances.

I also still believe the ump didn't have the guts to make the right call. As an official he doesn't have the right to agree or disagree with the rule. He has to make the call based on rule.

Bottom line to this whole thread is if you teach your kids how to play fundamental baseball and catch routine pop ups and flyballs and groundballs........you take the umpires bad/good calls out of the mix. The Mullin kid pitched a whale of a game, but his defense did not back him up very well. I admit the errors were even but the errors RH made were routine.

Bottom line to this whole thread is if you teach your kids how to play fundamental baseball and catch routine pop ups and flyballs and groundballs........you take the umpires bad/good calls out of the mix. The Mullin kid pitched a whale of a game, but his defense did not back him up very well. I admit the errors were even but the errors RH made were routine.
When you have 7th graders starting in a District game, I would think nerves would cause a few errors. Roy did a great job this year with the cards he was dealt.
Rolltide, you didn't see the play. You don't know if he crossed the plate or not. I saw the play. I know the kid wasn't even close. I know the ump didn't see him touch the plate because the kid didn't touch it.

Rose Hill lost the game because of errors committed earlier in the game. I'm not blaming this call at all for the loss. I'm just saying it was the wrong call. Bradley hit a great shot that I congratulated him on. Coach Roy was right to argue the call, under the circumstances.

I also still believe the ump didn't have the guts to make the right call. As an official he doesn't have the right to agree or disagree with the rule. He has to make the call based on rule.

He did make the call based on the rule, he said he touched the plate, bottom line! You're correct, when he came out and argued the touching of the plate, he was within the rules. But when he followed it up with his actions after the game, he was out of line!
He did make the call based on the rule, he said he touched the plate, bottom line! You're correct, when he came out and argued the touching of the plate, he was within the rules. But when he followed it up with his actions after the game, he was out of line!

 

And he got ejected. The first time that has ever happened in KY I guess.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.