Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Up and Coming Big Men in KY

Featured Replies

  • Author
While often criticized, you gotta include Euton and Zollo. Both are good high school big men. Matt St. John is very good, as is Donovan Gibbs.

 

I would agree with Zollo, he'll have another solid season. I disagree with Euton. Maybe I would put him in the top 10 or 12. Eutons name got big because Gillispie recruited him to UK, but then again, he got an 8th grader to commit. Euton is a good player, but Im not sure about the top 5 statewide.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Statewide:

 

1. Pittman (Holmes)

2. Fant (Warren Central)

3. Gibbs (Iroquois)

4. Zollo (GRC)

5. Euton (Scott Co)

 

NKY:

 

1. Pittman (Holmes)

2. Geisler (NCC)

3. Stauffer (Ryle)

4. Earls (Boone)

5. Thelen (CCH)

 

This is a good list but there I dont think Giesler should be rated above Stauffer. Thelen from CovCath is solid offensively, but I have to see more out of him both physically and defensively.

  • Author
Geisler was more productive than any of those other players you have ahead of him, averaging close to a double-double (11 ppg, 8 rpg). No way Robinson is the third best big man in NKY:

 

Pittman- 14 ppg, 7 rpg

Geisler- 11 ppg, 8 rpg

Earls- 10 ppg, 4 rpg

Stauffer- 9 ppg, 5 rpg

Robinson- 7 ppg, 4 rpg

 

Top 5, maybe...but not as high as you have him.

 

I think you know as well as I do that you cant necessarily go off last seasons stats. You also have to look at the situation. Giesler wasnt fighting for time with other big men. Stauffer had a senior or 2 and was playing with Tate Nichols who likes the basketball. Stauffer asserted himself last season and will only continue to grow. Plus, he may play a higher level of competition than NCC in my opinion.

  • Author
From Northern Ky you would have to add Jacob Reiger from Brossart, Daniel O'Conner from Scott and Jake Thelen from CovCath.

 

Thelen is as good or better than any current soph big man in N Ky. Rieger is extremely underrated in N Ky. He is one of the top players in N Ky. O'Conner is going to be a 3 year starter at Scott and other than Pittman has put up stats similar or better than any big on the list frm N Ky.

 

He is a big kid, and a good player. He's got some work to do next season. He and Kellen Smith should do well together.

  • Author
Robinson at Conner has to be on the NKY list of 5.

No question, Pittman is #1.

Stauffer

Robinson

Earls

Giesler

 

Glad to see that another person on here has seen Clay Robinson. I really think he will be able to assert himself as a legitimate big man in NKY. He may not have dominated last year, but he is my pick for being the guy that comes on that not many have heard about.

I think you know as well as I do that you cant necessarily go off last seasons stats. You also have to look at the situation. Giesler wasnt fighting for time with other big men. Stauffer had a senior or 2 and was playing with Tate Nichols who likes the basketball. Stauffer asserted himself last season and will only continue to grow. Plus, he may play a higher level of competition than NCC in my opinion.

 

 

I don't buy the schedule argument. NCC plays a good schedule. Looking at last years schedule I would say it was just as competitive as Ryle's schedule. Nichols isn't the only one who likes the basketball at Ryle. Stauffer doesn't pass up too many shots either. Last year Nichols put up 120shots while Stauffer put up 155.

Geisler was more productive than any of those other players you have ahead of him, averaging close to a double-double (11 ppg, 8 rpg). No way Robinson is the third best big man in NKY:

 

Pittman- 14 ppg, 7 rpg

Geisler- 11 ppg, 8 rpg

Earls- 10 ppg, 4 rpg

Stauffer- 9 ppg, 5 rpg

Robinson- 7 ppg, 4 rpg

 

Top 5, maybe...but not as high as you have him.

 

With the exception of Pittman. you can re arrange these guys any way you want too. IMO I think Earls may drop the most on this list after next year because I really think the rest of the list has a higher potential level. Robinson has a tremendous upside in the fact that he is still only 15 and has more room to grow and mature.

I don't buy the schedule argument. NCC plays a good schedule. Looking at last years schedule I would say it was just as competitive as Ryle's schedule. Nichols isn't the only one who likes the basketball at Ryle. Stauffer doesn't pass up too many shots either. Last year Nichols put up 120shots while Stauffer put up 155.

 

Do you happen to know how many shots Giesler, Earls, or Pittman put up? I am just curious.

Thelen is going to be a stud. I played against him a few weeks ago, and he is a very good player. He's a solid 6"5, will likely grow to be at least his dad's height (6"7), and he has a consistent jumper to about 15 feet already. If he can polish his post moves- which I'm sure he will given his work ethic-he'll be an excellent player.

This is a good list but there I dont think Giesler should be rated above Stauffer. Thelen from CovCath is solid offensively, but I have to see more out of him both physically and defensively.

 

What's your reasoning for Geisler not being above Stauffer? Geisler was the most consistent big man for that sophomore class. Stauffer was too inconsistent IMO to be considered ahead of Geisler.

 

Thelen really started to come on before his mid season injury. It's tough to give him a fair assessment because we didn't get to see him a full season.

 

I think you know as well as I do that you cant necessarily go off last seasons stats. You also have to look at the situation. Giesler wasnt fighting for time with other big men. Stauffer had a senior or 2 and was playing with Tate Nichols who likes the basketball. Stauffer asserted himself last season and will only continue to grow. Plus, he may play a higher level of competition than NCC in my opinion.

 

Regardless of the situation, Geisler still performed well no matter who their competition was. Geisler is a little more complete at both ends of the floor as well compared to Stauffer. Stauffer has trouble maintaining his cool when players get physical with him which leads him to be less consistent.

 

With the exception of Pittman. you can re arrange these guys any way you want too. IMO I think Earls may drop the most on this list after next year because I really think the rest of the list has a higher potential level. Robinson has a tremendous upside in the fact that he is still only 15 and has more room to grow and mature.

 

I agree that Earls will likely drop, but the kid still goes out there and plays well regardless of the competition. Robinson had a few good games but what sticks out the most to me from his stats is in two games against Elijah Pittman, he combined for 2 points and just 7 rebounds. If you want to be considered the best or in the same group as the best, you have to be able to play well and hold your own. Stauffer, Geisler, and Earls all played much better against Pittman. Robinson just seems too passive to me. I think he's one of the better big men in nky, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Stauffer, Geisler, or Thelen. He still needs to prove himself a little more IMO.

 

Do you happen to know how many shots Giesler, Earls, or Pittman put up? I am just curious.

 

Geisler- 90-175 (51%)

Earls- 125-234 (54%)

Pittman- 193-366 (53%)

I agree that Robinson is a little passive. He is a very young sophomore. He will mature. He had a great game agaisnt Zollo when Conner beat Clark County. Pittman may be a more intimidating player. I have heard he talks alot. Never the less, Robinson will improve beyond that. You have legitimate arguements about Giesler and Stauffer. I think either one is solid, but I really don't understand Thelan. The injury was very unfortunate, but he wasn't a powerhouse by any menas before it. I agree that he has the potential to be a good big man, but is not yet.

Do you happen to know how many shots Giesler, Earls, or Pittman put up? I am just curious.

 

 

Info/stats are on NKy.com but none of them had someone throwing a teammate under the bus as a reason why their stats didn't compare to another player.

 

Tate Nichols is not the reason that Stauffer did not put up as good a numbers as Geisler.

 

I like Stauffer's game and have been a big proponent of his all season and I have been saying since mid season that Clay Robinson was underrated. Just not ready to put either of them in top 5 of bigs in N Ky just yet.

 

The reason I like Geisler better than Stauffer is that Geisler had 98 defensive rebounds compared to Stauffers 90 and 69 offensive rebounds to Stauffers 30. Rebounding is equal opportunity you don't need a teammate to pass you the ball or a coach to run a play for you, just go get the ball when somebody misses a shot on both ends of the floor.

 

Geisler is a more well rounded player at this time at both ends of the floor.

Ryan Vogel

10.5 ppg

10 rpg

You are off base with the stats comparison. No one was throwing anyone under the bus. You knew how many shots Stauffer and Nichols had taken. I wanted to see how they avereged against the other guys who had higher ppg averages.

 

Your argument for Gielser is that he is mroe well rounded and a better offense rebounder. He is a larger frame and that is to be expected. He is not as athletic as any of the other guys on this list.

 

I take nothing from Giesler. He is very solid. That is why I said you could order 2 - 4 any way that you want to.

Ryan Vogel

10.5 ppg

10 rpg

 

 

Timmy Knipp is going to be a very VERY good big man. IMHO he will be the top big in the state next season. With the exception of Pittman of course.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #5

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.