Ky Kids playing AAU basketball this summer

To your point here (in the bold): Anyone can rattle off names from an AAU team. Anyone that knows regional AAU basketball has heard of the NKY Bulldogs. If i remember correctly, they made some noise late last year at the Hoops nationals tournament in louisville. They gave the Royal Family team (with josh stroud, another one of your big names) a run for their money in the tournament championship game. Jake Flesch and Matt Trammel shut Josh Stroud down in that specific game. Didnt even have 10 pts.

To another of my points... Anyone that knows regional AAU basketball has heard of Bobby Stauffer, Matt Trammel, and Jake Flesch. If you havent... How much do you really know? Knowing Jody Demlings blog doesnt mean you know AAU Basketball. Sure, I have heard of Kellen Smith, Pawsett, and King... I know AAU basketball. But, just because I know their names, does this mean that they will play at the next level? Absolutely not. So your notion that just because you play with a Shining Stars organization means that your going to get recognition is premature and incorrect. Also, you named maybe 5 guys from the Shining Stars, where are the other 5 or 6, buried on the bench?

The Shining Stars are a trend, and just like any regional AAU team, they would get blasted by the DSAS. Also, if the guys like zollo, shanklin and such played at U16, Indy Elite 1 would beat up on them as well. Chris Harrison and Indy Elite Team Indiana beat them this past weekend. They had no defensive answer for Harrison!

Anyways, you must remember, these kids are Sophomores. 2 years is ALOT of time to get MUCH better, or get stegnant. All of these sophomores (U16), whether they play for the Shining Stars, NKY Bulldogs, DSAS, I.E. 1, or I.E. Team Indiana have time.

Lastly, you blast the Bulldogs continuously, BUT, i kind of admire a team that comes out of nowhere to compete. These kids must be homegrown. They must feel, and their parents must feel, that the coaching and organization of the team is the way to go. If you can play ball, you can play ball. A brand doesnt matter. The Shining Stars had to get started somewhere. Maybe the same will be said for the NKY Bulldogs in 5 years.

Lastly, at the grassroots shootout, the Shining Stars Pittman team must have had 10 or 11 guys. Two of those 10 or 11 stood out; Scott Schuette and Jordan Gilbert, really great players.

Lets keep the facts straight. You cant ASSUME that a brand means recognition, thats mere stupidity.

I posted the link to the Jody Demling article because the tournament was being discussed. I don't recall stating that I knew AAU basketball because I read his blog. Just sharing info with the posters.

I also find it very interesting that you want to take shots at Shining Star Sports. The Shining Star Sports program has won the last 2 17u State Championships. They also won the 16u State Championship last year and finished runner up in the 15u.

Why would you think that the Derek Smith All Stars would blast them? Shining Star beat them in the championship game of the state tourney at the 16u and 15u levels last year.

With that being said I have also predicted the Derek Smith All Stars 16u team as the team that will win the 16u state tourney. They have a fantastic team that is flat out loaded. I also think that Coach Davis is one of the better AAU coaches in the state of Kentucky.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To your point here (in the bold): Anyone can rattle off names from an AAU team. Anyone that knows regional AAU basketball has heard of the NKY Bulldogs. If i remember correctly, they made some noise late last year at the Hoops nationals tournament in louisville. They gave the Royal Family team (with josh stroud, another one of your big names) a run for their money in the tournament championship game. Jake Flesch and Matt Trammel shut Josh Stroud down in that specific game. Didnt even have 10 pts.

To another of my points... Anyone that knows regional AAU basketball has heard of Bobby Stauffer, Matt Trammel, and Jake Flesch. If you havent... How much do you really know? Knowing Jody Demlings blog doesnt mean you know AAU Basketball. Sure, I have heard of Kellen Smith, Pawsett, and King... I know AAU basketball. But, just because I know their names, does this mean that they will play at the next level? Absolutely not. So your notion that just because you play with a Shining Stars organization means that your going to get recognition is premature and incorrect. Also, you named maybe 5 guys from the Shining Stars, where are the other 5 or 6, buried on the bench?

The Shining Stars are a trend, and just like any regional AAU team, they would get blasted by the DSAS. Also, if the guys like zollo, shanklin and such played at U16, Indy Elite 1 would beat up on them as well. Chris Harrison and Indy Elite Team Indiana beat them this past weekend. They had no defensive answer for Harrison!

Anyways, you must remember, these kids are Sophomores. 2 years is ALOT of time to get MUCH better, or get stegnant. All of these sophomores (U16), whether they play for the Shining Stars, NKY Bulldogs, DSAS, I.E. 1, or I.E. Team Indiana have time.

Lastly, you blast the Bulldogs continuously, BUT, i kind of admire a team that comes out of nowhere to compete. These kids must be homegrown. They must feel, and their parents must feel, that the coaching and organization of the team is the way to go. If you can play ball, you can play ball. A brand doesnt matter. The Shining Stars had to get started somewhere. Maybe the same will be said for the NKY Bulldogs in 5 years.

Lastly, at the grassroots shootout, the Shining Stars Pittman team must have had 10 or 11 guys. Two of those 10 or 11 stood out; Scott Schuette and Jordan Gilbert, really great players.

Lets keep the facts straight. You cant ASSUME that a brand means recognition, thats mere stupidity.

If I am correct Shanklin is playing 16u with Derek Smith. The Indy Elite team is a very good team and Harrison is a very good player. He had a fantastic game versus the Shining Star Sports team. Indy Elite was the only loss of the tourney by 3 points. Shining Star had a chance to tie on a 3 by Kyle King at the end of regulation. Very good game.

You can play the IF game all you want but in the end the Shining Star Sports team won the championship. They finished 5 and 1 and beat some very good teams.

SS is a great organization that has many teams in all boys divisons. also staring to venture in to the girls divisions. IMO they try to provide a quality experience for all those participating in SS. They have many players who have gone on to play at the next level. you can view their web site shiningstarsports.com they are about helping kids improve and reach the athlete's goals. not everyone's goal is to play at a major D1 school. Believe it or not, some players actually choose their school based the educational opportunities that the college provides, but having a scholarship opportunity helps to achieve their educational goals........I know for many on this thread that's unthinkable................but there are actually a lot of these kids that realize that sports is a way to pay for a college education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SS has grown tremendously in the past 3 years, not sure the year they first organized. Originally started in the Cincy area, then ventured in to No Ky and now venturing in to the Louisville area.

as far as I know DSAS only has 1 16 yr old team and 2 17 year old teams. Is this correct?

SS has many teams at the various age levels.

I also think that Coach Davis is one of the better AAU coaches in the state of Kentucky.

I agree, I guess he got it from the one he considers a legend :)

He is also one of the most interesting ones to watch on the sidelines, he really gets into the games, and in a good and positive way!

These thoughts keep coming back to me.

There seem to be a lot of Shining Stars fans on here. Wow. Thats good. I have no direct affiliation. Just a curious AAU fan.

Question: If this (SS) is an elite group or team, where is Shanklin? Fants? Avery? Forrest? Stroud? Harrison? Barkesdale? Jeremiah Davis?

Are the Shining Stars second rate compared to DSAS and Indy Elite organizations and team? And, if they are... dont guys like Schuette and Gibson leave to play wit DSAS or Indy Elite?

Who is the last "BIG" name, or D-1 commited player to play with the Shining Stars?

Just questions.

Indiana Elite is the better program of the three. They are one of the top orginizations in the country. The list of players that have played with Indiana Elite is endless. Great program with top notch talent.

I would put Derek Smith and Shining Star behind the Indiana Elite program.

I do not think that Shining Star is second rate to Derek Smith. Recent history has proved that not to be true. They are the top two programs in Kentucky. The last three years have been a back and forth battle between these two programs.

I think what may suprise you is the mutual respect that Derek Smith and Shining Star have for each other. They compete for wins and players but the coaching staffs know each other very well and communicate with one another.

No one stated that these programs should get EVERY great player in the state of Kentucky. That will never happen. There is a lot of competition for players.

He is also one of the most interesting ones to watch on the sidelines, he really gets into the games, and in a good and positive way!

I appreciate Coach Davis because I know that he is all about the kids. He is not in this for himself. Coach Davis works hard for his kids and the kids want to play for him. To many times in AAU you see coaches in it for themselves. Coach Davis does not fall into that category.

Completely incorrect in my opinion. College Coaches gravitate to the big name TOURNAMENTS. If any of these more local teams show up, any player or any team could get noticed. How could you not see that? And, if the NKY Bulldogs, WKY Elite, Charlotte Court, KY Players or anyone else play well, or have players that perform well against your so-called "big name organizations" then those players/teams will get noticed. If they didnt, then why not just have a tournament that only allows the 3 "big" organizations to play in it (DSAS, I.E. & Shining Stars). Well, simply because coaches and AAU tournament programs know that not all the great/good players want to play for those organizations.

Entitled to your opinion but if I am a college coach with the limited number of off campus evaluation days available to me and the hectic tourney schedule for NCAA certified events I target the teams where I know the elite players play. Coaches don't walk thru these events without a game plan. In most cases they are targeting a specific player or teams before they ever walk into the gym. My point being that playing for a DS or SS increases your opportunity for exposure. In a perfect world maybe brand recognition does not play a role in the recruiting process and everybody could just play with their local teams and get the same opportunities but that is not the reality of the situation.

These thoughts keep coming back to me.

There seem to be a lot of Shining Stars fans on here. Wow. Thats good. I have no direct affiliation. Just a curious AAU fan.

Question: If this (SS) is an elite group or team, where is Shanklin? Fants? Avery? Forrest? Stroud? Harrison? Barkesdale? Jeremiah Davis?

Are the Shining Stars second rate compared to DSAS and Indy Elite organizations and team? And, if they are... dont guys like Schuette and Gibson leave to play wit DSAS or Indy Elite?

Who is the last "BIG" name, or D-1 commited player to play with the Shining Stars?

Just questions.

Just got word on two of the Shining Star Sports alumni. (Since you asked)

Vee Sanford of Lexington Catholic and Shining Star Sports has committed to play basketball in the Big East. He has committed to play at Georgetown.

Austin Hill of Holmes and Shining Star Sports has committed to play basketball at Illinios State next year.

If you want the complete list:

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=SHININGSTARSPORTS&t=c&s=basketball&p=custom&pagename=Alumni%20at%20College

How long has he Coached AAU? I have seen the DS 17's play a lot but not the 16's. The 17's are always fun to watch!

How long has he Coached AAU? I have seen the DS 17's play a lot but not the 16's. The 17's are always fun to watch!

I think this is his 3rd or 4th year with DSAS, the DSAS 16's have a good group this year as well and fun to watch. Both teams are playing in Nashville this weekend.

SS is a great organization that has many teams in all boys divisons. also staring to venture in to the girls divisions. IMO they try to provide a quality experience for all those participating in SS. They have many players who have gone on to play at the next level. you can view their web site shiningstarsports.com they are about helping kids improve and reach the athlete's goals. not everyone's goal is to play at a major D1 school. Believe it or not, some players actually choose their school based the educational opportunities that the college provides, but having a scholarship opportunity helps to achieve their educational goals........I know for many on this thread that's unthinkable................but there are actually a lot of these kids that realize that sports is a way to pay for a college education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SS has grown tremendously in the past 3 years, not sure the year they first organized. Originally started in the Cincy area, then ventured in to No Ky and now venturing in to the Louisville area.

as far as I know DSAS only has 1 16 yr old team and 2 17 year old teams. Is this correct?

SS has many teams at the various age levels.

This is a well thought out and unbiased opinion of what a good organization should be. My objective was not to discredit the larger organizations, but to point out that not all individuals (parents or players) want the big organization mentality and yet it is still posible for the better players on those teams to make it to the next level. As I have said, they need to win ball games and advance. Nothing is a given. Not even for the big clubs. Play the best competition and expose yourself to the best and you just might suprise some people.

Vanhoose is the coach of the 17's. I don't know how long he has been doing this but you can always count on him having a very good team. He does a great job with the 17u teams.

I am not sure how long Coach Davis has been involved in AAU. He is an assistant coach at Simon Kenton High School.

The coaching staffs for the Derek Smith All Stars and Shining Star Sports do a great job with their teams. You wouldn't believe the number of hours that go into coaching elite AAU teams that travel a great deal.

Entitled to your opinion but if I am a college coach with the limited number of off campus evaluation days available to me and the hectic tourney schedule for NCAA certified events I target the teams where I know the elite players play. Coaches don't walk thru these events without a game plan. In most cases they are targeting a specific player or teams before they ever walk into the gym. My point being that playing for a DS or SS increases your opportunity for exposure. In a perfect world maybe brand recognition does not play a role in the recruiting process and everybody could just play with their local teams and get the same opportunities but that is not the reality of the situation.

I couldn't have said it better. I didnt say that any of these kids will get any recognition at all. But, a coach will target the big name tournamentd. If a team like the Bulldogs, Court, WKY Elite or whomever are playing in these bigger tournaments against your so-called "teams where elite players play", they will get to see teams like the non-branded teams give them their best shot. Whether an AAU team beats another AAU team is not on a coaches agenda either. A college coach wants to see the players play the game. Final score means nothing to no one except those teams and those affiliated with it.

Branded organizations or local teams, doesnt matter. Compete in the big tournaments and you CAN gain recognition. Both for teams and players.

I posted the link to the Jody Demling article because the tournament was being discussed. I don't recall stating that I knew AAU basketball because I read his blog. Just sharing info with the posters.

I also find it very interesting that you want to take shots at Shining Star Sports. The Shining Star Sports program has won the last 2 17u State Championships. They also won the 16u State Championship last year and finished runner up in the 15u.

Why would you think that the Derek Smith All Stars would blast them? Shining Star beat them in the championship game of the state tourney at the 16u and 15u levels last year.

With that being said I have also predicted the Derek Smith All Stars 16u team as the team that will win the 16u state tourney. They have a fantastic team that is flat out loaded. I also think that Coach Davis is one of the better AAU coaches in the state of Kentucky.

I wasnt singling you out on this. Just stating this fact in general. Jody Demling is great. Has a wonderful blog. But, to know his blog, isnt knowing AAU basketball. Again, a statement in general. Which is where i think many get information. I think you have to watch the tournaments and see the games and the kids play.

I didn't mean for it to sound that way.