Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scholarships at Kentucky

Featured Replies

I am confused and maybe someone can explain or clear this up for me.

Ky has 13 scholarships to use, they lose Carter and Porter right? That opens 2 for the incoming class. It seems to me that if they are trying to get Hood, Orton, Henry and Wall with already giving two to Cousins and Pilgrim how can they possibly do this. Can they just take away scholarships from players already there or do they talk to them and just hope they leave? What if they don't want to leave?

I hope they can do all of this, I just am curious on how to go about it in a fair way to the kids already there.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scholarships are given on a year to year basis, so even though guys like Stewart and Harrellson may have scholarships this year, Coach Cal could just tell them that they don't fit into the team's plans and that their schollys won't be renewed. The scholarship situation will work itself out though.

  • Author
Scholarships are given on a year to year basis, so even though guys like Stewart and Harrellson may have scholarships this year, Coach Cal could just tell them that they don't fit into the team's plans and that their schollys won't be renewed. The scholarship situation will work itself out though.

 

I did not know that they were year to year, I figured a scholarship was a four year ride. So if you are not offerd a scholarship in say your 2nd or 3rd year you are free to play anywhere else that year?

I did not know that they were year to year, I figured a scholarship was a four year ride. So if you are not offerd a scholarship in say your 2nd or 3rd year you are free to play anywhere else that year?

 

You can pay your own way to play there, or you can transfer and have to sit out a year.

  • Author
You can pay your own way to play there, or you can transfer and have to sit out a year.

 

That doesn't seem fair to lose your scholaship and have to sit out a year.

Thanks for the info.

That doesn't seem fair to lose your scholaship and have to sit out a year.

Thanks for the info.

 

I agree, but at the same time, players are well aware of that going in. Also it's not like it happens very often that they aren't renewed. Usually the only cases are in coaching change situations.

They will open up. Tubby had to make room for two freshman as well this year.

  • Author
I agree, but at the same time, players are well aware of that going in. Also it's not like it happens very often that they aren't renewed. Usually the only cases are in coaching change situations.

 

Is it the same in all sports?

If a kid redshirts, does that not count toward the 13?

If a kid redshirts, does that not count toward the 13?

 

From what I've read on here from UKMustangFan and GT, it does count. That makes me wonder, will Witherspoon count against UK's scholarship count?

Is it the same in all sports?

 

Yes. You are not the only one who did not know this either. During the NCCA sanctioned events players players are told of some of the NCAA rules, I have never been to one where they did not mention that scholarships are year to year, and I also have not been to one that there were not a few kids who said they did not know that.

 

Some schools will try and work around it by offering other types of scholarships instead of athletic. But if you were a current player and the new coaches are telling at least hinting to you that you won't fit in or won't play much if you stay, I think most would want to leave anyway. But the only way I would see a player wanting to stay if he was a huge fan of that school growing up, so a KY kid, who is just happy being on the team.

I am confused and maybe someone can explain or clear this up for me.

Ky has 13 scholarships to use, they lose Carter and Porter right? That opens 2 for the incoming class. It seems to me that if they are trying to get Hood, Orton, Henry and Wall with already giving two to Cousins and Pilgrim how can they possibly do this. Can they just take away scholarships from players already there or do they talk to them and just hope they leave? What if they don't want to leave?

I hope they can do all of this, I just am curious on how to go about it in a fair way to the kids already there.

 

Pilgrim was part of this year's 13. Redshirts/transfers count (unless they're paying their own way)

 

Most are also assuming Williams wont' be on scholarship this year (nor would he have been under Gillispie).

 

So you've got Williams, Carter, and Porter leaving at this point. That makes room for the current commits (Hood, Orton, Cousins).

 

For anyone else to come, a current player will have to make room. (Leave, go to walk on, go on academic scholarship...)

I'm hearing NKU is looking at Slone and Harrellson of UK. Slone played for NKU player Jon Van Hoose's dad in AAU growing up so that is the connection there, that is how NKU first saw Evan Faulkner and built a relationship there. As for Harrellson, NKU player Dustin Maguire played AAU ball together and that is how it started there. I'm not saying either of them will end up there, but just passing along some rumors.

I'm hearing NKU is looking at Slone and Harrellson of UK. Slone played for NKU player Jon Van Hoose's dad in AAU growing up so that is the connection there, that is how NKU first saw Evan Faulkner and built a relationship there. As for Harrellson, NKU player Dustin Maguire played AAU ball together and that is how it started there. I'm not saying either of them will end up there, but just passing along some rumors.

 

Sounds interesting...

If Kentucky keeps Orton and Patterson comes back, I see no reason for Harrelson to want to stay unless he wants to ride the bench all year.

 

With Patterson, Cousins, Orton, Pilgrim and Stephenson, there would be absolutely no playing time for Harrelson.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.