Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes subject of unfounded rumors

Featured Replies

After talks of Chane Behanen transferring to Holmes last week, Ryan Ernst had the following to say on nky.com today:

 

Funny thing about this job in the age of chat rooms and blogs and Twitter and social networking: I spend a good chunk of my day reporting on non-stories.

 

.....When you're hot, as Holmes is now, there's a lot of that out there. More people are following you. More people are talking about you. More people are out to get you. Call it envy, call it subversion, call it a bad game of telephone. When you're on top, it comes with the territory.

 

.....don't expect the Behanan talk to be the last before next season.

 

Just don't believe everything you hear.

 

......Holmes should return three starters and two key substitutes from this season's team....So with or without an addition to its roster, Holmes is going to be a very good basketball team next season.

 

Spread the word.

 

You can read the full story here:

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090412/SPT0302/904120306/

I can understand Ernst writing about something that is factual, but to write an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer about something he read on here is IMO not being a responsible journalist. There are alot of rumors on this website that never come to fruition, Ernst should have waited to see if the kid actually did transfer before putting that story out "there". If sports writers wrote about every rumor they heard, they would fill up an entire newspaper everyday.

I can understand Ernst writing about something that is factual, but to write an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer about something he read on here is IMO not being a responsible journalist. There are alot of rumors on this website that never come to fruition, Ernst should have waited to see if the kid actually did transfer before putting that story out "there". If sports writers wrote about every rumor they heard, they would fill up an entire newspaper everyday.

 

I think you missed the point of the story. The point seemed to be that when you're on top as the Dogs are there are always going to be stories/rumors about your program.

I think you missed the point of the story. The point seemed to be that when you're on top as the Dogs are there are always going to be stories/rumors about your program.

 

Holmes has gotten 3 transfers in the past 2 years so there is definitly going to be a lot of rumors about a program that is doing so well.

Holmes has gotten 3 transfers in the past 2 years so there is definitly going to be a lot of rumors about a program that is doing so well.

 

You just summarized the purpose of the story.

Chane is not going to Holmes. End of rumors...

Chane is not going to Holmes. End of rumors...

 

I heard differently again last night. I'm quite sure that you are way more connected on this subject than me, but I'm hearing it from someone that doesn't make stuff up and has no reason to stretch the truth.

This is the paragraph I find interesting for many reasons. Maybe Ernst should check his facts on the Lexington Catholic comments because there was a lot more on Henley to LexCath that what is being reported here:

 

I also called Holmes coach David Henley, who by now is used to this sort of thing. He half shrugged, half laughed it off. Just like the time I called him after receiving a phone call from a source telling me Henley was leaving to take the head coaching job at Lexington Catholic. (Never mind the fact Henley has no ties to Lexington or Catholicism ... or the fact that the Lexington Catholic position wasn't even open.) And just like when Holmes athletic director Ron Madrick shrugged off the rumors at the Sweet Sixteen that all-state junior forward Elijah Pittman was transferring to a prep school.

This is the paragraph I find interesting for many reasons. Maybe Ernst should check his facts on the Lexington Catholic comments because there was a lot more on Henley to LexCath that what is being reported here:

 

I also called Holmes coach David Henley, who by now is used to this sort of thing. He half shrugged, half laughed it off. Just like the time I called him after receiving a phone call from a source telling me Henley was leaving to take the head coaching job at Lexington Catholic. (Never mind the fact Henley has no ties to Lexington or Catholicism ... or the fact that the Lexington Catholic position wasn't even open.) And just like when Holmes athletic director Ron Madrick shrugged off the rumors at the Sweet Sixteen that all-state junior forward Elijah Pittman was transferring to a prep school.

It depends on which LexCath coaching search you're talking about. Henley supposedly was the runner-up for the job in 2002, when Bart Flener was hired to replace Danny Haney.

 

LexCath has had two more coaching searches since then.

I heard differently again last night. I'm quite sure that you are way more connected on this subject than me, but I'm hearing it from someone that doesn't make stuff up and has no reason to stretch the truth.

 

This one comes straight from the source...

This one comes straight from the source...

 

 

Got you, that one is better than mine.

It depends on which LexCath coaching search you're talking about. Henley supposedly was the runner-up for the job in 2002, when Bart Flener was hired to replace Danny Haney.

 

LexCath has had two more coaching searches since then.

 

I do mean 2002 when Henley applied for the job and was supposedly runner-up. The other line of thinking on this was the job was offered to Henley before it was offered to Flener but there was a breakdown in communication between Henley and LexCath.

 

Also, having or not having ties to Lexington or Catholicism is not very relevant. However, I understand Henley does have a tie to Catholicism. Furthermore, applying in the past and being strongly considered shows mutual interest in the past and by definition that is a tie.

 

Maybe Ernst is talking about one of the other times the job was open but if so and if you are trying show that places like BGP are full of half truths (I realize that is only a part of the article and not the whole point) then it comes across as a half truth not to mention that Henley has been interested in and applied for the LexCath job in the past.

I do mean 2002 when Henley applied for the job and was supposedly runner-up. The other line of thinking on this was the job was offered to Henley before it was offered to Flener but there was a breakdown in communication between Henley and LexCath.

 

Also, having or not having ties to Lexington or Catholicism is not very relevant. However, I understand Henley does have a tie to Catholicism. Furthermore, applying in the past and being strongly considered shows mutual interest in the past and by definition that is a tie.

 

Maybe Ernst is talking about one of the other times the job was open but if so and if you are trying show that places like BGP are full of half truths (I realize that is only a part of the article and not the whole point) then it comes across as a half truth not to mention that Henley has been interested in and applied for the LexCath job in the past.

I suspect Ernst was talking about one of more recent coaching searches, given that he hasn't been on this beat for a whole bunch of years.

 

I agree with your other point.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.