Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do Schools contact Coaches about open jobs????

Featured Replies

Was just curious does this happen? Or does all Coaches have to apply for jobs that are open???

Was just curious does this happen? Or does all Coaches have to apply for jobs that are open???

 

Good thread, as a think this is one of the things most people have a real misconception about.

 

As a rule, schools don't contact coaches. Maybe it's happened once or twice in the history of the world, but it is extremely rare (I've personally never heard of it happening).

 

This isn't the NCAA and administrators typically go about filling the position as they would any other, post the job look at qualified applicants and then make a decision.

 

Obviously in-house candidates are going to be spoken with, but unless the application pool leaves something to be desired, I can't see district's reaching out to coaches.

Good thread, as a think this is one of the things most people have a real misconception about.

 

As a rule, schools don't contact coaches. Maybe it's happened once or twice in the history of the world, but it is extremely rare (I've personally never heard of it happening).

 

This isn't the NCAA and administrators typically go about filling the position as they would any other, post the job look at qualified applicants and then make a decision.

 

Obviously in-house candidates are going to be spoken with, but unless the application pool leaves something to be desired, I can't see district's reaching out to coaches.

 

I understand what you're saying, but I think the below also rings true.

 

If you're a good enough coach, people seek you.

 

While the headhunting that goes on in the college and pro ranks obviously doesn't go on in the HS ranks, there are always feelers put out under the official radar. Especially in the case of coaches who have ties to the school/area.

 

And if you're good enough, overtures are made.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the below also rings true.

 

 

 

While the headhunting that goes on in the college and pro ranks obviously doesn't go on in the HS ranks, there are always feelers put out under the official radar. Especially in the case of coaches who have ties to the school/area.

 

And if you're good enough, overtures are made.

 

Exactly. Some of it going on now.

I can tell you right now... There are a lot of High School coaches that are not looking for a job that get contacted by schools about openings.

Contacts happen all the time in high school, the only difference is that the pool is usually smaller. Just look at how many jobs have opened up lately and have not been posted on the KDE or KHSAA site. Believe me, even when some are posted it is just a formality.

It happens, more then most people think. It may not be a formal contact, but very often someone will make contact with a coach and say something like, "We could like you to apply for the open position". That may be all that is said, but I think everyone could see what a statement like that would mean.

It happens, more then most people think. It may not be a formal contact, but very often someone will make contact with a coach and say something like, "We could like you to apply for the open position". That may be all that is said, but I think everyone could see what a statement like that would mean.

 

I agree :thumb:

Does that constitute tampering???

What jobs have recently opened up that haven't been posted?

 

I don't remember seeing the Highlands job.

I knew better than to get involved in this discussion:lol:

 

I think there's a few reasons people think this is much more commonplace than it is.

 

1. A lot of coaches tell people they were contacted about a certain job, but turned it down to either feed their own ego, or to improve their stock in their current position. College and pro coaches haven't cornered the market on egocentric behavior. There's plenty of high school coaches that like to hear their name "out there" all the time so everyone knows how good they are.

 

2. Fans, alums, boosters, etc., really want to seem like "insiders". People talk a lot, and a lot of things get said. The more people talk, the less I listen to what's said as the truth somehow seems to give way to a lot of "I heard".

 

I hope no one in this thread takes this as a shot at them, as it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone on here. Both are purely generic statements based on what I've seen.

Edited by Sandman

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.